Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Tractor
    Ford 4000 backhoe

Lightbulb Re: My new Ford 4000! -First time Tractor Owner

Quote Originally Posted by hatch789 View Post
    OK So the shaking, lurching (I called it herkey-jerkey) is normal for this model machine? If so I will just learn to be smoother with it. And I will keep it at lower RPM's as you suggest.

Any answer to my backhoe controls question? The 2 that control the feet? I saw a pic on the computer screen at Messick's Farm Equipment, that those 2 controls in the middle should point upwards but they are shorter ...only perhaps 2/3 the height of the other controls and therefore the next 2 controls moving out from center, will not hit the foot controls. So I'm thinking of of cutting mine off a few inches lower and welding a knob or something smooth on them to put my hands on. I think that will do the trick and allow me the proper throw while at the same time no longer interfering with my next 2 control levers. I will have to take a pic of how it looks now.

Yes I think I remember the guy saying to me that it had a steering cable on it, but that broke. So he just uses the lever (to the left of the wheel) now to steer. -That's great if you have a long time to practice with it and train yourself to use it. But when you grab the wheel instinctively and it does nothing... that's pretty scary! So is there an easy way to get the steering wheel working again? Perhaps someone can post a pic of a working cable steering mechanism for me?

The brakes ...yes I hope I have shoe and drum left. They do work, they are just worn a bit I believe. Is my idea of connecting both pedals together with a plate or something, a bad idea? I can drill a little 1/4" hole and use a nut & bolt to hold the plate on ...that way I can remove it if I ever want it off. But to me, it just seems a lot safer to step on one nice big break and have some good positive stopping force. As it is now, even a slight downhill grade is dangerous for me because it does not stop well at all and coupled with the steering issue ...scared the crap out of me 2 times already.

Anyone have any good suggestions on cleaning out the gas tank? Or is my idea of using a ball valve siphon sufficient to get the job done?
    Hello, I am Paul999888 Just regestered a few minutes ago,,, not sure how to post replies yet. I noticed your tractor so i signed up to reply. What I did was disconnect the fuel line and blow a little air up into the tank with my compressor. I have the same tractor as in your picture. same backhoe and loader. Full speed no problem with any hose breaking. I'm in need of another engine on mine. Seems diesel got into the oil when it was parked, burned it out when i ran it. now it cranks but wont start. Hard to get at the engine but when I took the pan off things looked ok, so it might be the rings. Any info on the engine would be appreciated paul999888@aol.com

You bled the fuel lines and pump after disconnecting the supply didn't you?

Dave

Tractor
    Ford 4000 backhoe

Default Re: My new Ford 4000! -First time Tractor Owner

Quote Originally Posted by ballibeg View Post
    You bled the fuel lines and pump after disconnecting the supply didn't you?

Dave
    Paul999888 Hi Dave, Actually what I did was siphon the bottom of the tank with a hose into a pail and reused all but the sediment in the pail. Also I collected a little in a jar to sample before hooking it back to the fuel pump.

Tractor
    ford 1841, 860, JD 790, Farmall H, Allis WD45, case VA

Default Re: My new Ford 4000! -First time Tractor Owner

Sorry I am month's behind but I have a Ford 1841 with cable steer and it just plain sucked !!! I found A guy named Roland Jackson he own's Jackson power steering and he built a kit for my tractor and it works great !!!!!! It cost me about 900.00 to get the thing to steer like a new tractor and no more cables !!!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234