T4020 Fuel Filter

/ T4020 Fuel Filter #1  

Bill Jones

Tractor
None
It is almost time to change the fuel filter on my T4020. The new filter did not come with an electronic sensor screwed into the bottom of it. I assume that I just re- use the old sensor.

My question is, what does this sensor do? Is it the water in fuel indicator, or the change the filter indicator?

Thanks a lot,

WAP.

/ T4020 Fuel Filter #2  
It is almost time to change the fuel filter on my T4020. The new filter did not come with an electronic sensor screwed into the bottom of it. I assume that I just re- use the old sensor.

My question is, what does this sensor do? Is it the water in fuel indicator, or the change the filter indicator?

Thanks a lot,

WAP.

According to the book, if the symbol on the dash that looks like and old gas pump continues to blink you have water in the fuel filter.
It says when you replace the filter to reinstall the switch, so your doing right.
How many hours do you have on your 4020?
I'm getting real close to 500 so am developing a list of what needs changed.
I hadn't noticed the fuel filter being needed. Is the little clear one supposed to be changed too?
I have found on older tractors, the less you mess with opening the fuel path the better. Bleeding lines is a PITA.
I plan to change the engine oil and filter and replace the big hydraulic filter and top off the fluid. AS I interpret the book the hydraulic oil doesn't need changed till 1200 hours.
Ron

/ T4020 Fuel Filter #4  
I have around 420 hours on the machine.

I see in the book, after matching the correct group of pictures for the 4020, that it is suggested to change that filter at 500 hours and remove and blow out in reverse the clear one.
I doubt if I will do either. The engine runs great, no indication of water from the idiot light, and non in the clear filter.

I have a Ford 3910 that I bought new in the 80's and has 4000+ hours on it now with no fuel filter changes except for a little bronze one hidden in the fuel tank turn off. It had dust, seeds and leaf dirt clogging it from me not cleaning around the cap before opening.

Do you agree that the book indicates the first hydraulic fluid change is 1200 hours?
The translation from Italian to English leaves a bit to be desired.
It talks about changing the "oil" in the radiator:D

/ T4020 Fuel Filter #5  
Wow! 4000 hrs on fuel filters? You do believe in living dangerously don't you? I think filters are still cheaper than pump rebuilds.

/ T4020 Fuel Filter #6  
Wow! 4000 hrs on fuel filters? You do believe in living dangerously don't you? I think filters are still cheaper than pump rebuilds.

Same stand mounted storage tank, without filter, same driver, and same supplier. Name changed from SOHIO to BP, to Co-Alliance.
Diesel Supreme, same as stuff used in home oil furnaces around here. Climatized before delivered. Driver always says additives are a waste of money.
I hope I'm not jinxing myself by bloviating about it:D

So what are your thoughts on changing the hydraulic fluid?
My old Ford book is clear about 1200 hours for it. The CNH book is iffy.

/ T4020 Fuel Filter #7  
If you don't see any evidence of water or grey matter floating in the oil, I wouldn't change it. The filter, yes, because it's on the suction side and restriction there will affect pump supply and performance(especially in cold weather). If the fluid looks good, smells good, it probably IS good.

/ T4020 Fuel Filter #8  
It is almost time to change the fuel filter on my T4020.
WAP.

Bill,
Have you changed your filter yet?
I am interested in knowing about the bleeding connection and if there were specific instructions about a clip being inserted to hold the pipe on reattachment?
I have attached the pages from the book, and page 2 is very confusing as it points out the illustrations to use for the 4020 and then refers to a clip in an illustration that is for a different model.
I looked at mine today. They painted the entire tractor quite thick but I cannot see any clip on the right of the button.
I will need to do some serious cleaning of that area, if I do change the filter, before I begin, but I don't want to break anything getting the pipe loose.
Please let me know about directions packaged with the filter or what you actually had to do?

Going further, the little transparent prefilter has instructions to remove it and blow air backwards through it.
I got under the tractor and there is no fuel shutoff valve, so I guess the only thing to do would be clamp the hose with some locking pliers. I hate to do that as it may cut the hose, and then a mess of 20 gal of fuel all over..
Any Ideas on that?
I did discover a weep at the tank drain plug and at the tank to engine outlet. You might want to check yours.
There may also be a mesh filter inside the tank the way the book talks. I need to go to Messicks and see if there is a diagram.

/ T4020 Fuel Filter
I have not had a chance to change the filter yet, but I did drain the water from it. The clip it is refering too is what holds the electrical connector to the bottom of the filter housing. The filter itself did not come with any instructions in the box.

/ T4020 Fuel Filter #10  
I have not had a chance to change the filter yet, but I did drain the water from it. The clip it is refering too is what holds the electrical connector to the bottom of the filter housing. The filter itself did not come with any instructions in the box.

Thanks for your input on no instructions in box.
Suggest you look at 1st attachment I sent concerning bleeding air from system after changing filter. We are talking about the mounting bracket above the filter that the filter screws into. The pipe that comes out of there and goes to the injection pump needs to be removed by pressing in on a button. Then the clicker on the primer pump needs to be operated by hand until fuel with no air bubbles comes out the place where the pipe was released.
Look at your tractor closely, at the pipe release button and see if you see a pin on the right side which is referred to in the last sentence of the instructions for reattaching the pipe to the head.

If a slug of air gets to the injection pump and beyond the bleeding process becomes a lot more difficult to get the tractor to run.
Ron