NH T1510 PTO lever hard to operate

/ NH T1510 PTO lever hard to operate #1  

nov51947

Tractor
NH T1510 Compact
I have a 1-yr old NH T1510 9x3 with 83 hrs. The PTO engage lever (on the left side of the operator's seat) is VERY difficult to operate: I have to swivel around in the seat and use two hands to engage or disengage. Several questions: (1) Is this normal? If not, is there an owner/operator fix w/o returning it to the dealer? (2) If it is normal, can I use a galvanized pipe as a breaker bar extending the length of the lever without damaging the tractor?

Seriously, I simply cannot budge the lever with one hand!

Thanks in advance for all your comments, answers and solutions.

Karl

/ NH T1510 PTO lever hard to operate #2  
G'day with the age and the hrs on the machine I would be getting the dealer to check it out it may be nothing or it may be serious but if it comes up in later life at least the dealer will have a record of it being a fault.

Oh and I don't think it should be that hard to engage

Jon

/ NH T1510 PTO lever hard to operate
Thanks, Jon...my feeling exactly. I have recently learned that I was supposed to have received about a three hour training session on Operation and Maintenance of the tractor when I bought it. OOPS! The dealer dropped it off at my small farm, left me two keys, showed me how to raise and lower the FEL, then high tailed it back to the dealership.

/ NH T1510 PTO lever hard to operate #4  
I would never use a cheater to engage the pto. Go to NH and look at the parts diagram. There always is some detent mechanism to keep the lever jump out of a prescribed position. This item is composed of steel ball and a spring. Since your rig is new and under warranty you would want the dealer to look at unit.

JC,

I went to NH site to look up the detail but the page is not loading up.

/ NH T1510 PTO lever hard to operate #5  
I have a TC30, 2007 and I had the same problem. So I found a handle from an old small floor jack and attached it with a bolt and nut. I can swivel it forward or back out of my way. Works great.

/ NH T1510 PTO lever hard to operate
Thanks, that's a great solution. My two floor jacks are operable and used often, so I don't want to scavenge the handles. But you've given me an idea for something I might be able to attach in a similar fashion.

/ NH T1510 PTO lever hard to operate #7  
I used the handle of old jack because it was only 1/2" dia. and it had a grip. I cut a slot in the middle deep enough so the handle would swing down into operating position. When in this position I can pull the pto on and when I want it off I just push straight back an the swing handle up and back. When the handle is in the on position it's over the range shifter, but is really not in the way. It was a simple fix and had about 45 minutes in it total. Good luck.

/ NH T1510 PTO lever hard to operate #8  
I have the same tractor a t1510 if the Pto doesn't engage make sure clutch is push in, if that doesn't work let go of clutch and push in again to try again

/ NH T1510 PTO lever hard to operate #9  
Have you been able to figure anything out?

/ NH T1510 PTO lever hard to operate #10  
That's the way they are built thier all like that You should never put a bar on the lever doing that you will wreck and bend stuff