ford 335 (3600) steering gear question

/ ford 335 (3600) steering gear question #1  

nellcote farm

Tractor
ford 335, ford 3000
New here, but have been lurking for some time. I've done a few searches and can't find exactly what I'm looking for. Forgive if this has been covered already. I have a 78 ford 335 industrial w/ the 770(?) loader. basically a 3600 with the heavy front axle. Factory Power steering. the power steering has turned to complete slop and I'd like to renew the gear box assembly. I'm debating buying a rebuilt unit and bolting it in, but got a little sticker shock at the prices of rebuilt units.

Here's my question, is it possible to bolt the ps valve, adapter block and tube from my existing system onto the base from a manual gear box assembly? My existing shaft is in good shape if needed. Reason I'm asking is rebuilt man box is 450, rebuilt ps box is 1600. All thoughts, criticisms appreciated.

/ ford 335 (3600) steering gear question #2  
the manual box uses a thrust bearing and holds the shaft tight... the ps box uses a needle bearing and there is SOME thrust movement to actuate the ps valves.

I do not know if the machined area int he box for the thrust bearing race is the same for the needle bearing.

UD and I were discussing this in your post on ytmag.

someone with both in hand could measure the OD and compair. As ud said. ford likes to re-use parts. I don't dount the box lower started as the same casting.. just need to tell if the machined part is the same.

that said.

where is the slop. the mechanical part of the ps box is simple to rebuild... are you sure the slop is in the box. vs draglink ends?

have you adjusted sector backlash?

/ ford 335 (3600) steering gear question #3  
I have both styles tore apart in my shop I can measure them for u tomorrow

/ ford 335 (3600) steering gear question #4  
Like sound guy said need to know where slop is I have completely rebuilt a few so I u let us know where ur trouble is at I might be able to help u

/ ford 335 (3600) steering gear question #5  
Did you get a chance to measure the races yet?