1973 Ford 4000 3 cyl diesel clutch replacement

/ 1973 Ford 4000 3 cyl diesel clutch replacement #1  

JD40MO77

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 40/ Ford 4000 3 cyl. diesel
Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where to buy a new clutch kit for a 73 Ford 4000 3 cyl. diesel with the 4 spd with Hi and Lo.
It has the 11" disc with 10 spline 1" hud and presure plate with the 29 spline 1 7/8" hub.

Also is there any setup required on the pressure plate? The orig. has England stamped it it so I am thinking it has never been replaced. It has a bunch of coil springs and there appears to be some sort of adjustment on each of the 4 fingers the throwout bearing rides against?

It shelled off one side of the friction material..........which may explain the strange thing that happened in the last coupla hours I used it. I am using it to pull a Durabilt DP60 dirt pan and have been loading it up with a 580K case backhoe so I can carry the most dirt per trip. I dumped a load and went off the steep incline next to the retaining wall at the walkout end of our basement and tried to let it coast before I grabbed Hi gear for the empty trip back down to my borrow pit/pond....... then it would release it just kept wanting to go even with the clutch pedal fully depressed. I guess the lining pieces got stacked up were pulling until the got slung out and it began to work "normally" again. Then after a few more trips it began to slip and I had to head for the shop.

I split it today and have to get an order in ASAP so I can try to get some more dirt up the hill.

I mainly am wondering about these rigid discs versus the spring dampened ones like the original. Has anyone had experiences that would make them stay away from the rigid ones??

/ 1973 Ford 4000 3 cyl diesel clutch replacement #2  
hit up user rickb and ultradog. they handle those 'new' 3 cyl fords way more often than I do.

ps.. that 4spd twin stick is commonly called an 8 spd.

/ 1973 Ford 4000 3 cyl diesel clutch replacement #3  
Depending on what all you are replacing, Yesterdays Tractors is a good source for parts.
Otherwise, your local mom and pop tractor repairer can also get Tisco stuff which is what YT sells. Mom and Pop would appreciate your support too.
Ford clutches can be a real PIA as they used several different ones with it seems, no rhyme or reason.
If you buy the pressure plate, keep in mind that they used a 6 bolt and an 8 bolt PP on those models so look before you order.
Personally, I would not split one of those 3 cylinder Fords without also replacing both seals in the front of the tranny and the rear seal on the engine. Bring your old seals down to your local bearing house to match up and pay 1/3 to 1/2 what the dealer will charge. Also, as a matter of course, I would replace the soft plugs in the back of the head, and block behind the flywheel while I was in there. They like to rust out and sure as shooting you will get the tractor back together and of them will start leaking which will mean another split. They're not expensive and easy to install = cheap insurance.
As for springs or no springs in the clutch disc, I would just reinstall what was there before. Again, no rhyme or reason why Ford used one vs the other.

/ 1973 Ford 4000 3 cyl diesel clutch replacement
Ok sorry for the delay in replying back........and thanks a bunch for the info Ultradog and Soundguy!!!
I got a press plate, clutch, pilot bearing, throwout bearing from the local NAPA store for $300 and something....
Picked up an alignment tool and a rear main seal and installer from the local New Holland dealer today.......also got the bigger of the 2 seals for the transmission input shaft......parts person had the smaller one out but we got mixed up and put it back on shelf...... so we got home and started putting it all together and noticed the clutch disc didn't say flywheel side like the old one.........so we layed it on the press plate........and it seems as though it has to go with the protruding side towards the flywheel.....Napa has the old parts I may have to give them a call to verify what the old one looks like............ we got it all together and tried hooking up the pedal and it doesn't want to release.........tried adjusting the linkage rod clevis both ways and it still wouldn't..........took it loose and held a 15" crescent with a small cheater pipe and manage to sorta get it to release enough to roll the tractor in gear on the shop floor........Looks like I may need to split it again in the morning to double check my work........ is there anyway I could have gotten the throwout bearing holder spun 180 out of place.......or maybe someone in the past has welded an extension on the pedal linkage rod, to make up for wear ???

This new press plate has England on it also.......so it must be an OEM that has been remanufactured..........I read a post in another forum about new ones not being setup correctly and that has me second guessing my new parts.....don't know how much material has been removed on both the flywheel and pressure plate over the years? I did get my flywheel resurfaced and I am guessing the press. plate I purchased is a reman.

/ 1973 Ford 4000 3 cyl diesel clutch replacement #6  
Whatever you do, keeping these old girls in the field is well worth it and much more cost effective than buying new, assuming you can segment duties to the capability of the tractor.

I think I have it now........I split it again and removed the new clutch disc and press. plate, took them to the parts store and compared them to the old parts.... luckily they had not sent them out for cores yet......everything looked identical except the fingers stood up taller on the new press. plate.... went back home put it all back together very carefully. Then I followed someone's advice to chase out the threads on the linkage rod where the adjuster yoke threads on and trimmed off about 7/8 inch and that gave me enough adjustment to fully release the clutch and still not hold pressure on the throwout bearing while the clutch pedal is fully up.........anyone ever heard of having to do it this way?

/ 1973 Ford 4000 3 cyl diesel clutch replacement #8  
I had to cut and bend and weld the releaseshaft on the outside sothat the link can be adjusted more .