Ford 4000SU engine rebuild questions

/ Ford 4000SU engine rebuild questions #1  

sawtooth

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford NAA, Ford 2810, Ford 3910-1, Ford 3910-2, Ford 4600SU, Massey 2660 HD, Massey 461, Grasshopper 725D, Grasshopper 900D
Hello all,

I'm having a friend of mine rebuild the engine in my 4000SU. As best we can tell she has around 10,000-12000 hours on her and the engine still runs but little hard to start when cold. I've decided to go with dry sleeves vs over boring just to protect from pinholes etc. I plan to have both inj pump and injectors rebuilt and add a new wiring harness. What other stuff should I check, rebuild, replace etc? Want this job done right as I don't do things half ***.

Thanks in advance.

/ Ford 4000SU engine rebuild questions #2  
What about the clutch?
Also, replace both input shaft seals in the transmission. And if you haven't already planned on it replace the freeze plugs in the back of the head and all of them in the block - especially the one behind the flywheel.

/ Ford 4000SU engine rebuild questions
What about the clutch? Also, replace both input shaft seals in the transmission. And if you haven't already planned on it replace the freeze plugs in the back of the head and all of them in the block - especially the one behind the flywheel.

Good points. He is going to check clutch but what are input shaft seals and what do they do? Also good thought on the freeze plugs.

Lastly the transmission is really easy to take in and out of gear (almost feels it may come out on own). So he's checking that too.

/ Ford 4000SU engine rebuild questions #4  
Part #s 14 and 15 at the link below.
They are your input shaft seals - they keep the tranny oil from leaking out and getting all over your clutch.
They are simple to install. I would never do a clutch job without also installing those seals.
As for the frost plugs, my buddy rebuilt the engie on a 4600 and didn't replace the frost plugs.
About 2 weeks after he got done with it the one behind the flywheel started to leak - it was rusted through - and he had to split the tractor again to fix it.

Official New Holland Online Parts Store and Online Parts Catalog for New Holland and Ford Tractors.