New Holland Bale Wagon Question

/ New Holland Bale Wagon Question #1  

Robert_in_NY

Tractor
Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554
I am looking at a couple used NH pull behind bale wagons. The 1034 and 1038. Is there any particular parts I should look at for wear? I know very little about these machines (other then seeing them operate on some large farms and looking them over in their sheds) and don't want to get something that has been run down too bad. Basicly, are there any parts that I should loot at replaceing right off the bat or any problems with these particular models? Thanks.

/ New Holland Bale Wagon Question #2  
Hey Robert,

I've often wondered about those also. From what I hear if you have a perfect bale they work mighty slick. Also heard you have to be darn near a top-gun to pick up the bales too though.

/ New Holland Bale Wagon Question #3  
Robert,

The two things that go out the most on those are the pickup and the hydraulics to lift the bed to dump the bales. I would sure want to run a load through one before I bought it. On that arm on the side that usually wears out and has to be replaced. Take a good look and wiggle it around. If it's worn much those are not cheap to replace. Also run the pickup back and forth quite a bit. Also look at the slide that pushes the bales into the stack. Run it and have someone be underneath and look to see that everything is running right. The best thing is to run some bales through them. There is a place in Kansas that specializes in these used. These guys go through and rebuild everything on them. I have sent several guys down there to buy one and they haven't been disappointed. I know that would be pretty far for you but you could give them a call and they would sure be able to tell you even more on what to look for.

/ New Holland Bale Wagon Question #4  
Nifty pieve of gear, once you have one you wont go back. These can take a lot of abuse, if they look like they have had a hard life most likely they have. Simple to work on. Good luck

/ New Holland Bale Wagon Question #5  
They say the main key is to have a good operator on the baler. If the operator can not drive in a straight line or knock the bales down it makes for a long day for the wagon operator.

/ New Holland Bale Wagon Question
I am talking to the guys in Kansas that I think you are refering too. It is about 1000 miles from my door to theirs so I am hoping they can give me a reasonable price to ship. There is a place that resales these used wagons in Ohio and are only 3 hours from me so I was planning on visiting them first which is why I was wondering what to look for. Thanks for your advice as it will give me something to look for. I don't mind having to do a little bit of work to maintain it but I would hate to have to sink a lot of money into it just to get my fields in. Also, there was a company that made a trailer that would pick up the stacks from the bale wagon so you can deliver them easier. Do you know who the company is? I can't remember who they are or the website I saw them at. Take care.

/ New Holland Bale Wagon Question #7  
I think there is a machine called the Haying Mantis but I thought like everything made today it's for big squares. I think that's the web site name Haying Mantis. I'm talking to the same guy about wagons He seems pretty decent and gave me the name of a local who bought from him. He said he can guarantee you will hate it for the first 3 days but once you figure it out there is no turning back. I'm like you I've admired the wagons from afar but never really used one, I believe I'm going to give it a try though.

The Haying Mantis is for large squares. There was a gooseneck trailer built that you would just back up to the small square stacks and pick the pile up and lay it back down for transport. I will keep looking and if I find it I will post the link on here.

/ New Holland Bale Wagon Question #9  
If you're dealing with the guys in kansas Robert you're in good hands. They go through the whole unit. I have never seen any junk that they have sold. Before I was in the midwest you never saw a hay stacker. Now I've got about a dozen people using them around me.

No one uses them around me. You won't find any until you get up towards the Rochester area where the dairys are and the flat ground. I will be the first that I know of in my county to get one (but I am sure there is one or two around here somewhere that I have not seen before).

The guys in Kansas are Roeder Implement. Are they the ones you deal with?