Oil leaking T4.75

/ Oil leaking T4.75 #1  

colonial1

Tractor
New Holland T4.75
This is my first post and I need some input. Just finished plowing snow (16"), I have a 9' snow pusher. First time using it and using 4WD. It's main use is for mowing grass with a 12.5' batwing mower. It's 13 months old with 51.3hrs. Noticed an oil leak under it and it looks like it's coming out of the cotter pin located above what I call the carrier bearing. Has anyone seen or heard about this before? I called my dealer where I bought it and spoke to the SM, he's going to look into it by researching some TSB's. Very disappointed.... I just read a thread about a similar issue on a different model NH but it sounded very similar and it sounds also like a major repair.. I was also told this might not be under warranty.. I hope it is... only used it an average of 4 hours per month. Maybe that's the problem, I need to use it more...Any advice would be appreciated.. Thanks

/ Oil leaking T4.75 #2  
With a tractor that new and those few hours why would the repair not be under warranty? I would push the dealership for a free or reduced repair job. Unlike simple to repair tractors of the past it might not be a good idea to tackle this job yourself. I used to do most maintainence on my tractors but the newer ones are a bear to work on with little to no room to get in some areas. I have a new T4.75 and with all the FEL brackets and hoses in the way I can't even get to 4 of the 6 filters to change them out. The oil filter only has a one inch clearance on one side and I cannot even stick my fingers into the gap much less get a filter wrench into the area. Sorry I cannot help you with the specific problem.....

/ Oil leaking T4.75
The T4.75 is on it's way right now to the dealer. A seal back side of engine let loose. I found out that the cotter pin is mainly just a clean out device under the clutch assembly case. They have to split the engine from tranny to see what seal it is. My guess is a rear main seal or something like that. Major repair job according to repairing service dept. I'm 2 hrs away from dealer by car. probably looking at around $7-800 total transport costs. I don't have equipment to transport a tractor this large. I had to hire it out. The tow to and from is my responsibility. You would think and hope that New Holland would goodwill the transport costs. Don't you think they should be held responsible to build a T4.75 so it's last more than 50hrs? If they did their job I wouldn't be out this $. I used it for 1 snow storm this winter and if it takes a 2-3 weeks to get back, winter will be just about over. Thanks for the reply,Utopia Texas..It's been a great tractor up to now hopefully New Holland corporate is a stand up company too. I hope you have better luck with yours

/ Oil leaking T4.75 #4  
Let us know the outcome of the repair. I am very curious as to how you are treated when it comes to the warranty. There is NO way this could have come about from operator misuse and New Holland should be responsible for a problem this early in the tractors use. I am fortunate to have two NH dealerships within 15 minutes from my location, one small and one huge. So far I have been very pleased with customer service.....

/ Oil leaking T4.75 #5  
Third generation New Holland owner / farmer. I'm pretty biased (in a good way) towards Ford and NH, proudly admit it.

However, I have to throw the BS flag at CNH on this deal. It's outrageous that you have to pay the transport bill on this. Your dealer (the guys that sold you the tractor) should fight for you on this. Their sales rep should fight, his regional sales manager should fight. This should never even been an issue on who was coming to pick it up. I believe I would have to tactfully call CNH customer service and even CNH Top Service and discuss this.

Around here, a tractor goes down under warranty, a tech drives the service truck out to the farm / shop / field and fixes the issue. If it is something more than a quick fix, the dealer comes after it with a truck and gooseneck. If they are going to have it for very long, they bring a loaner tractor out (usually a demo) when they come to pick up the broken tractor.

When it comes time to buy a new tractor, if your dealer finds you tractor at another dealer and works out a dealer trade, CNH takes care of transporting the tractor from dealer A to dealer B.

I bought a PowerStar in the spring of 2012, right after the big 2011 release. Had a hard time finding what I wanted because the dealers weren't letting go of their inventory. When I did eventually find one, the very first night the tractor spent in my shop, with 2 hours on it, it puked a transmission seal. Lost a considerable amount of oil. Keep in mind, all I did was back it in the shop after the dealer delivered it. They came and got it. Took a couple days but found the problem, there was actually already a service bulletin on it. However, the handful of parts needed for the fix were no where in the United States and CNH indicated it would be 30+ days to get the parts. Brand new tractor and can't even get parts for it. Dealer had my back and after going round and round with CNH, I finally got another new tractor that arrived in the dealer's stock.

The first tractor was an early PowerStar. Serial started with ZBAB I believe. My second tractor was fresh off the line with a serial of ZCAE. You wouldn't believe the subtle changes that had been made between the two. I know another ZB owner who has had more than his fair share of problems. Check tractorhouse.com and look at the numerous low hour, used PowerStars for sale. My second tractor has been flawless and I feel like the newer PowerStars have probably had the bugs worked out. CNH had claimed to worked the bugs out of the earlier models by doing overseas testing.

Again, I love my PowerStar, I especially love the cab and am glad everything worked out. The Kubota M7040 I was considering was cheaper, easier to service, had a better warranty and better financing. It was the cab and buddy seat that sold me on the T4.75!

I just feel like in the first stages, this model was a huge work in progress. Ever bought a brand new cutting edge $45K cab tractor without a horn? I have!

Sorry to rant. Please keep us posted and fight the good fight!

/ Oil leaking T4.75 #6  
This is also my first reply but I couldn't help see your oil leak problem. I too love the tractor but had two front main oil leaks in the first 50hours and was required to pay transport charges of $750.00. At 100 hours I developed a rear main leak and I'm afraid to let the dealer work on it due to the way they left my new tractor covered in grease. I have 300 hrs now and the leak is still on the floor every morning to remind me how disappointing this has been. I have owned 3 new holland tractors with great factory to dealer support and can't get any help from the factory rep. At this point I don't know if I should make them fix the rear main leak or if they will make something else worse. I have 11 months left on the warranty to decide???

/ Oil leaking T4.75 #7  
This is also my first reply but I couldn't help see your oil leak problem. I too love the tractor but had two front main oil leaks in the first 50hours and was required to pay transport charges of $750.00. At 100 hours I developed a rear main leak and I'm afraid to let the dealer work on it due to the way they left my new tractor covered in grease. I have 300 hrs now and the leak is still on the floor every morning to remind me how disappointing this has been. I have owned 3 new holland tractors with great factory to dealer support and can't get any help from the factory rep. At this point I don't know if I should make them fix the rear main leak or if they will make something else worse. I have 11 months left on the warranty to decide???

I personally would never hesitate to send a tractor in for repair under warranty. Every day you wait is one day less under warranty and the less chance of having NH pay for the repairs. Wait too long and the cost is all on you. Tell the service manager you want the tractor back as clean or cleaner than when it was taken in for service. I am always curtious with employees at the dealership I use but let them know I mean business when it comes to repairs.
PS- How far are you from the dealership? I have my own trailers but know that my closest three NH dealerships charge $50 for combination pick up and delivery. For $750 you could ship a tractor 1/2 way across the U.S.

Last edited: