Ford 5610 PTO

/ Ford 5610 PTO #1  

bsrfarms97

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 3150
I have a 5610 that I can't free spin (by hand) the pto shaft. It engages as it should and disengages. But when running a smaller implement such as a Tedder when I shut the pto off it comes to a immediate stop sometimes grinding a gear in the tedders gearbox. I have to shut the motor off then the pto to keep it from stopping too quickly. Also when I grab it by hand to hook up a implement I can't spin the shaft by hand any to line up with the pto driveline on the implement. Any thoughts on this? Thanks and have a good day.

/ Ford 5610 PTO #2  
The PTO brake is very quick on the independent wet clutch PTO's like that on your 5610. It can be feathered, but takes some finesse. Ford had a fix for the abrupt startup by welding a nut with a bolt through it on the PTO lever slot. The bolt head would interfere just enough to act as a stop as the lever went through the travel from off to on. The stop was at the point that the PTO was just starting to turn. The bolt was adjustable to fine-tune that point. You might apply the same fix in reverse for the stopping of the PTO.
As far as turning the PTO, by hand, if the tractor is off, it will turn by hand. It is purposely designed to engage the PTO brake when the tractor is running. Never, never hook up the PTO with the engine running!!!

/ Ford 5610 PTO
The startup is so abrupt that when hooked to my NH 408 discbine it will kill the engine when I kick the pto on. And yes most definitely never ever hook up the pto with the engine running.

/ Ford 5610 PTO
Just purchased a slip clutch to put on my tractor pto to try and help until I can tear into the pto and fix the problem. Has anyone else has ever tried this temporary fix?

/ Ford 5610 PTO #5  
I have a 5610 that I can't free spin (by hand) the pto shaft. It engages as it should and disengages. But when running a smaller implement such as a Tedder when I shut the pto off it comes to a immediate stop sometimes grinding a gear in the tedders gearbox. I have to shut the motor off then the pto to keep it from stopping too quickly. Also when I grab it by hand to hook up a implement I can't spin the shaft by hand any to line up with the pto driveline on the implement. Any thoughts on this? Thanks and have a good day.

My 4610 operates the same way. About the only advise I can give you is to throttle down the PTO when getting ready to disengage. The PTO will still stop abruptly but it will be at a slower speed. I find that I have to turn the PTO shaft on my bush hog to line up the splines on the PTO. The slip clutch idea is a good one.

/ Ford 5610 PTO
I'm hoping that since the brake on the independent wet clutch pto is engaging so fast that by putting a slip clutch on it that I can engage the pto when using the disbine and not kill the engine on the tractor. I'm trying to find what the torque settings on the clutch should be. If anyone knows I'd be very thankful for some input.

/ Ford 5610 PTO #7  

The independent pto on these machines has a hydraulic actuated brake to stop the shaft when you shut off the pto. I have a 4610 and I always use a over running clutch when I'm powering any equipment with a high rotary inertia. You can either do that our burn out the brake band. I have a Galfre FR/G 190 drum mower and it has an over running clutch built into the drive line In neither case does it help you on start up. You have to feather the pto lever.

/ Ford 5610 PTO #8  
Definitely sounds like the PTO brake has gone bad. Probably coming apart and is wadded up. I'd be looking at a fix before it dumps loose parts into the system. That won't be pretty. Bummer. :(

/ Ford 5610 PTO #9  
G'day as tractor tech said they are very abrupt the way they come on what yoou need is an overrun clutch for the pto not a slip clutch the overrun will allow the pto to stop and the machine can wind down at it's own pace it sounds to me like it is operating correctly so I wouldn't be too worried about a repair.

Jon