TD5050 - replacing air filter

/ TD5050 - replacing air filter #1  

Danielvetpath

Tractor
New Holland TD5050
Hi guys - I have a TD5050 with about 190 hours on it. I have cleaned the air filter previously, but just bought a new one (both the inside and outside filters) to replace. When I install the new filters, it takes more effort that I expect to close the three latches on the cover - the cover doesn't seat all the way unless I close it one latch at a time which gradually pulls it closed. I made sure the two covers are lined up. Both filters appear to be seated all the way.

Without any filters in place, the cover just snugs right in and clips shut without any pressure. I put the old filters back in and they seem to fit a little deeper, allowing the cover to close easier.

Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong? I would hate to have those latches pop off and compromise the function of the filter without me knowing it.
Thanks for any input - Daniel

/ TD5050 - replacing air filter
Rick - thanks for the reply. I went out after dinner and set the old and new filter side by side on end. The old one is a good 1/4" shorter! I doubled checked part numbers to make sure I had the right one (I did). That having been said, I did what you suggested and noticed that the cover went on with less effort. I figure the engineers like to keep these filters snug, for good reason. I think they must squash a little after being in there. I noticed when I first opened it up tonight that there was less pressure on the cover clips. Thanks again for your input. Experience is knowing when to shove a little harder and when to think things through.