269 baler twine disc

/ 269 baler twine disc #1  

mtDanE

Tractor
JD 2240, JD 1010u JD1010r, JD 420 l&g, JD 110 l&g
Hey all,

The twine disc on one of my knotted is worn out. Went to the dealer and they gave me a disc with 3 disc on it instead of 2, they said it is the update version, got 2 cleaners and a new holder with it too. Drove home, an hour a way, I went to install the disc to find out the pin for the gear is off. I measured the length of the shaft, it is 1/8th of an inch shorter than the original one. I plan on heading back to the dealer tomorrow, but wanted to if anyone else ran in to this problem and how you got around it.

Thanks,

Dan.

/ 269 baler twine disc #3  
Ive got a 269 and a 273. and the 269 has 2 disk & the 273 has three disk . The whole knotter assembly appears to be the same as on a JD I seen?

/ 269 baler twine disc
Hey all, saw the dealer today. NH no longer makes a 2 disc twine disc any more. The 3 disc is the only one you can get. The part number is the one you quoted above. They did not have any suggestions on how to make it fix. They did spend some time researching it, but no luck, they said to just replace the cleaner and holder and see how it goes.

I took the challenge to make it work. Whether right or wrong, I remove the frame and machined off 3/16th of an inch from the disc side. The holder also fits correctly now too. Put it back together, timed it up. Turned it over by hand a few times and it's knotting now with out dropping the twine. Hooked it up to the tractor an feed some hay through it by hand (fork). Working better. Won't really know until it's out on the feild, if it ever stops raining.

One interesting tidbit, the tailing twine that is left over from the cutting process is about a 1/2 inch long on the 3 disc vs the 2 disc.

Thanks everyone,

Dan

/ 269 baler twine disc
No machining necessary, the 3 disc unit is a direct swap. The knotter frame is the same.

good morning,

Nope. that is not correct in my case, it may say so on paper, but did not work on my frame. the 3 disc did not fit into the frame I have, the shaft of the 3 disc, from the face of the disc to the retaining pin is 3/16 shorter than the original 2 disc. After machining the frame is works correctly. I see there is an update part number for the frame for the 269, which may explain the difference.

Dan