ford 8600

/ ford 8600 #1  

shellman5801

Tractor
ford commander 6000
Can anyone please give me some what to look for on my Ford 8600 issue. The engine is stuck, I pulled the head, found as I thought, a open exhaust valve. Digging a little deeper I found antifreeze in the oil pan. Is this a common problem with the antifreeze? I have read a few articles and the same post came up alot. And the BIG question, How far should I go or stop while I am ahead, Thanks, Jim

/ ford 8600 #2  
If you are going to fix it you will need to pull the sleeves. It is likely an O ring on a sleeve that dumped the water in the oil. I would go all the way or back out and sell it. Ed

/ ford 8600 #3  
The engine was a bored block design, no wet sleeves. It may have been overhauled and may have dry sleeves, but they would not be the problem.
Pull the head and have it checked for warpage and cracks first. If the head checks out, then you may have a pinhole in a cylinder wall, but check head first.

/ ford 8600 #4  
lots of posts about cavitation and coolant conditioners.. though i don't have any engine manuals on that beast so couldn't say whether it had those issues or not.

closest i have gotten to an 8600 is driving an 8000 hogging with a batwing... ;)

/ ford 8600
Thanks for all the reply's, This is a great sight, I brag on it alot! I haven't pulled the oil pan yet but that may be breaking point? I was in hopes of the wet sleeve trick but just my luck :( Well, I will find out shortly :)

/ ford 8600 #6  
lots of posts about cavitation and coolant conditioners.. though i don't have any engine manuals on that beast so couldn't say whether it had those issues or not.

closest i have gotten to an 8600 is driving an 8000 hogging with a batwing... ;)

The older blocks, like the 8600's weren't as susceptible to cavitation, but after many years and who knows what coolant mix, it I possible.
I would work from the top end first, however.

/ ford 8600 #7  
I prefer to start by dropping the oilpan and pressurizing the cooling system before pulling the cylinder head. Once you remove the head there's no easy way to pressurize the block. It isn't a foolproof test, but it could easily tell you if you have a porous block before having a machine shop magnaflux and pressure test a perfectly good cylinder head ( they rarely crack). Yes, you could have a failed head gasket. But your odds of a block problem are fairly high.