Wont start. Starter just clicks when Key is turned

/ Wont start. Starter just clicks when Key is turned #1  

cliff11880

Tractor
TC 40
I have a New Holland TC 40 and if I turn the key the starter just clicks. I can keep clicking it and it will finally start. The seat switch is jumpered out as well as the safety switch on the side of the transmission. I just purchased this and I knew it was an issue when I got it. Someone told me there is a switch in the transmission that was bad and they needed to split the tractor in half. That is not a route that I want to go if at all possible so any suggestions would be great

/ Wont start. Starter just clicks when Key is turned #2  
Search for some older threads. I seem to remember a discussion of ignition switches being a problem.

/ Wont start. Starter just clicks when Key is turned #3  
I would start with the assumption you have an old battery that is dying with the onset of cold weather. Such are the symptoms you have described.

There is a switch in all transmissions to prevent starting with the tractor in gear. They are usually accessible because switches do die. However, you would not get the clicking sound, just silence.

If you can jump start it from a vehicle, it is the battery.

===ONE THREAD PER TOPIC====THEN PATIENCE====​

/ Wont start. Starter just clicks when Key is turned #4  
I'll bet its the two contacts in the starter solenoid. Similar problem/symptoms in all Denso starters (as my JD 1070,too). Easy fix with new contacts found on ebay for under $12.00 . Very easy to change, some sellers include a new plunger, too.

These contacts get hammered by the plunger and eventually bend and wear away from making good contact. Not worth straightening.

Attachments

• s-l225.jpg
    s-l225.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 471
   / Wont start. Starter just clicks when Key is turned
Thanks for the input. I jumped the battery and still nothing. Checked al the connections and still nothing. If i turn the key on over and over it will eventually start, Sometimes it takes 10 tries and sometimes it is 20 or more.

Thanks for the input. I jumped the battery and still nothing. Checked al the connections and still nothing. If i turn the key on over and over it will eventually start, Sometimes it takes 10 tries and sometimes it is 20 or more.

I'll bet its the two contacts in the starter solenoid. Similar problem/symptoms in all Denso starters (as my JD 1070,too). Easy fix with new contacts found on ebay for under $12.00 . Very easy to change, some sellers include a new plunger, too.

These contacts get hammered by the plunger and eventually bend and wear away from making good contact. Not worth straightening.

So this will cause it to just click

/ Wont start. Starter just clicks when Key is turned #8  

replace the key switch.

/ Wont start. Starter just clicks when Key is turned #9  
It's the solenoid contacts. From the picture above, they look pretty flimsy and would erode quickly from the arcing that occurs every time it activates.

/ Wont start. Starter just clicks when Key is turned #10  
So this will cause it to just click

!st click is the fuel solenoid opening. The click you are paying attention to is the plunger hitting one contact but missing the other because its either gone (broke off) burned, or out of reach. The repeated tries work the plunger a bit and it can rotate into a better position to make contact. Eventually even that option will go away. If it was the key switch, you could jump the solenoid. As I mentioned, its a common problem with DENSO starters no only on tractors but on Nissan et al. cars. All the ebay listings for solenoid contacts on 3 cyl tractors like yours give a good hint.

Please let us all know what you find. A lot of interest and x-spurt opinions. I almost bought a new $900 starter or a $400 rebuild, or a $300 used one. Best to remove the starter and examine it on a bench.

Another common 'fix' on some Chevy trucks (yes with a Denso starter) is to have Mom turn the key while you wallop the starter housing with a hammer. Try this yourself if your arms are long. You see this at gas stations where the starter is warm and the thermal expansion disables the contact.