Use of liquid ballast in the front tires of 4WD tractors

/ Use of liquid ballast in the front tires of 4WD tractors #1  

Jerry/MT

Elite Member
Tractor
New Holland TD95D, Ford 4610 & Kubota M4500
I can't find any info in the owners manual of our TD95D regarding using liquid ballast in the front tires of our tractor. Does any body do this or know a good reason why this should not be done? I know their are max weight limits on the tractor and they should not be exceeded so that could limit the total ballast used. But besides that, is there any other reasons for not ballasting the front tires on a 4wd tractor?

/ Use of liquid ballast in the front tires of 4WD tractors #2  
This is discussed randomly in various threads. Not sure there's been a thread specifically about it??

I guess my first question would be why you think you need it???

In my opinion,,,,, the only gain would be if the tractor is used to pull heavy loads a lot that frequently requires 4wd. Then adding traction weight to the front tires would be valid. For example I pull a 5 yard scraper with my M9540. When loading the scraper I have found it's easier if I first load the FEL bucket. Adding weight to the front tires for better traction while loading the scraper.

My brother loaded all 4 tires on his Kubota L3240. Only difference I saw was his front tires started leaking at the beads and you had to run a lot of air pressure to hold the tire on the rim. Tubeless tires. Rim Guard fluid.

I don't see it as being a hazard to the durability of the tractor. The extra weight isn't carried by the chassis, only by the tire itself.

If the tractor has an FEL, with loaded fronts, you have added a lot of unnecessary weight on the front tires when the bucket is full. No hazard to the tractor. But will certainly cause the front tires to sink faster in soft ground. :)

/ Use of liquid ballast in the front tires of 4WD tractors #3  
I guess it depends on the size of your front tires and how much ballast can be added. Mine are much smaller at 25 x 8.5-14 which would only take about 6 gallons of liquid ballast. At 8 lb. per gallon that would add 48 lb. per tire. I haven't added front tire ballast yet but I am considering doing it next spring. The added weight would help in the snow along with the chains. My rears are already filled and that helped a lot.
Your TD95D has much larger tires and would benefit filling them for use in snow and hard ground for better traction. However, filled tires may or may not be good for soft ground work. Filling the tires adds to the total weight of the tractor and doesn't put extra weight on the axles or frame unless you are jacking up the tractor by the axle or frame. Then there would be extra weight on the bearings etc.
There are a few on here who have filled their fronts. Do a google search at the top of the forums page for filled front tires. There's a lot of threads on this.

(I see Richard beat me in typing)

/ Use of liquid ballast in the front tires of 4WD tractors #4  
I'll echo the responses above. If you need it it's cheap. Suitcase weights would be a better option IMO. Do you have a specific need that requires it?

/ Use of liquid ballast in the front tires of 4WD tractors #5  
I'll echo the responses above. If you need it it's cheap. Suitcase weights would be a better option IMO. Do you have a specific need that requires it?

Yep. I remove my FEL to brushcut with a 10ft mounted. I add Suitcase Weights. So I don't carry that front tire weight when not needed. Although by the time I get them racked I'm kinda wishin I had front tire fluid!!!! :)

/ Use of liquid ballast in the front tires of 4WD tractors #6  
I was asking the op about the weight question but I definitely like running with suitcase weights better than bouncing a loader around a rough field!

/ Use of liquid ballast in the front tires of 4WD tractors
This is discussed randomly in various threads. Not sure there's been a thread specifically about it??

I guess my first question would be why you think you need it???

In my opinion,,,,, the only gain would be if the tractor is used to pull heavy loads a lot that frequently requires 4wd. Then adding traction weight to the front tires would be valid. For example I pull a 5 yard scraper with my M9540. When loading the scraper I have found it's easier if I first load the FEL bucket. Adding weight to the front tires for better traction while loading the scraper.

My brother loaded all 4 tires on his Kubota L3240. Only difference I saw was his front tires started leaking at the beads and you had to run a lot of air pressure to hold the tire on the rim. Tubeless tires. Rim Guard fluid.

I don't see it as being a hazard to the durability of the tractor. The extra weight isn't carried by the chassis, only by the tire itself.

If the tractor has an FEL, with loaded fronts, you have added a lot of unnecessary weight on the front tires when the bucket is full. No hazard to the tractor. But will certainly cause the front tires to sink faster in soft ground. :)

I feed with a bale spinner and as of yet have not ballasted my rear tires. The tractor has a FEL with a bale spear for un-stacking bales but with a bale on the back in icy conditions the rear tires slip on icy lanes. If I have a bale on the spear and one on the spinner, I don't slip and slide but I don't need to be running all over the place with a 5 x 5 bale on the front end. In muddy conditions steering is not positive without additional weight on the front and an empty bale spear is not enoughweight. I might also add that it is a cab tractor and without ballast, the roll center feels relatively high and the tractor is tippy. So I'm going to add liquid ballast to the rear tires and I thought I'd also add it to the fronts. I would tube all those tires and not exceed the design weight limits for the tractor. Here's the tire sizes:Front: 13.6R24. Rear: 18.4R34

You are correct that I won't need it when I'm using the loader bucket but this tractor is used for handling hay, round baling and bale feeding as well as bucket work. I mostly need front ballast in the winter and early spring for icy and muddy conditions.

Last edited:
   / Use of liquid ballast in the front tires of 4WD tractors #8  
I feed with a bale spinner and as of yet have not ballasted my rear tires. The tractor has a FEL with a bale spear for un-stacking bales but with a bale on the back in icy conditions the rear tires slip on icy lanes. If I have a bale on the spear and one on the spinner, I don't slip and slide but I don't need to running all over the place with a 5 x 5 bale on the front end. In muddy conditions steering is not positive without additional weight on the front. I might also add that it is a cab tractor and without ballast, and the roll center feels relatively high and the tractor is tippy. So I'm going to add liquid ballast to the rear tires and I thought I'd also add it to the fronts. I would tube all those tires.

Got it. Sounds like you definitely have a need. I don't think there's a negative side that would offset your need.