Bosch VE injection pumps KSB

/ Bosch VE injection pumps KSB #1  

Tractorboy88

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 7000, 2000, New Holland TS-135A, John Deere 7400
Anyone familiar with the KSB (cold start mechanism) on Bosch VE pumps? These mechanical fuel injection pumps can be found on TS-115, T6030, T6050 tractors and more.

Had trash and water in fuel tank, got into pump, and the tractor ran horrible if it would even start. Had the pump rebuilt, cleaned the tank, and replaced the filter. The tractor runs good until the KSB solenoid turns off, then there's an audible change in engine sound and the tractor smokes heavily when accelerated.

Is the KSB supposed to have power at all times?

/ Bosch VE injection pumps KSB #2  
Sounds like retarded pump static timing or the pump isn't right yet. Those VE pumps are junk. We have one in the shop right now that is about ready to come back off and get sent back to our usually flawless pump shop.

/ Bosch VE injection pumps KSB
Sounds like retarded pump static timing or the pump isn't right yet. Those VE pumps are junk. We have one in the shop right now that is about ready to come back off and get sent back to our usually flawless pump shop.

That was my exact thought Rick. I've pulled the pump back off 3 times and took it back to my pump guy. He sent it to a pump shop in Florida, they adjusted the timing some and sent it back. I reinstalled and it's the same. I've got $1600 in the pump rebuild, wondering if I shouldn't have put it toward a $3000 new pump.

/ Bosch VE injection pumps KSB #4  
Last test we did was rig a small tank above cab roof level directly gravity feeding fuel (through a mesh inline filter) to the IP to eliminate restrictions/air ingress. Still ran like crap.

Where's Hemmingway, SC?

Those plastic lines and snap fittings make me so mad I could spit. I don't know how you guys deal if you still work at the dealer. I was contemplating splicing in an electric pump.

Hemingway is about 45 minutes below Florence, 1.5 hours above Charleston, an hour inland from Myrtle Beach, an 14.5 driving hours away from Utica, NY. (Ask me how I know!)

/ Bosch VE injection pumps KSB #6  
Been to Darlington 4 times but not since 2003. I have family in both ends of North Carolina. Will be down there before too many years go by.

Been to Darlington 4 times but not since 2003. I have family in both ends of North Carolina. Will be down there before too many years go by.

Had enough of NY?

My closest NH dealer is in Florence and is probably 20-30 minutes from the track depending on traffic.

If you're into stock car racing, there's also a small 3/8" mile asphalt track just outside of Florence in Timmonsville that races weekly. Dillon has a 4/10" paved track and Myrtle Beach has a 1/2".

I live in the center of all three and grew up at the Florence and Myrtle Beach tracks.

/ Bosch VE injection pumps KSB #8  
More than enough. We own a couple acres in Catawba County, NC but may move South before we retire so where we land will be somewhat dependent on employment. Likely to be west of Raleigh and in the piedmont or foothills. I don't like it flat and overly hot and humid and enjoy seasonality, just looking for a shorter, milder winter. Son-in-Law is in the USMC in Eastern NC, so their location is still in flux as long as he serves.

/ Bosch VE injection pumps KSB #9  
don't run an electric fuel pump before a VE unit ... its a 2 stage , that relies on the pressure differential between intake and bypass return for timing advance ... add pressure and you reduce the timing advance .

units are not junk ( though the newer fittings may be ) ....

agree that the symptoms lean towards a retarded situation.

there are 2 sections LOW and a high side ... the low side is timed statically , but the high side should be done "by ear" AKA peas on a plate.

The longer its allowed to idle (once KSB voltage is @ 0v) the more the engine will miss and smoke when pushed to high idle. The engine struggles to reach max high idle RPM during this time. Then after its held at high idle long enough the smoke and miss will clear and the engine will then gain the ~300 RPMs more to reach max high idle.

I can almost describe it like a gasoline/carbureted engine runs when it's running overly rich and loading up, and clears out after you rev it.