Removing PTO shaft Ford 2000

/ Removing PTO shaft Ford 2000 #1  

Mearntain

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 2000
I've got a 1970 3 cyl Ford 2000 with live PTO. I drained the rear oil today and went to remove the pto shaft to replace the oil seal and bearing. To no luck, I wasnt able to get the shaft to come out.

I'm pretty sure part of the issue is there is RTV sealant or something similar holding the housing to the tractor. The second problem is that the housing doesn't have any threads on it to pull on and theres no lip on the housing to pry on either. I tried just using brute strength pulling on the shaft to get it to come and I got nothing, except maybe 1/4" in and out movement. I also threaded the pto cover into the housing and trying getting a better grip on that but still nothing.

Are there any tricks you've used to get the housing/shaft to come out? I was thinking of taking a strap and wrapping it around the shaft and pulling to see if that might help. To my understanding, it should have came out with little to no resistance and it feels like there's more holding it than some gasket sealant.

/ Removing PTO shaft Ford 2000 #2  
I have only pulled a shaft on a NNA but you could connect a pto shaft from an implement to it to give you a handle. Hope everything works out well for you. Ed

/ Removing PTO shaft Ford 2000
That's a really good idea that I never thought of before. And that would also allow me to have a helper helping pull to help break the seal too. Thanks for the input

/ Removing PTO shaft Ford 2000 #4  
Do yourself a favor and set the lever to the pto in engaged position so the collar which engages the gear box does not fall down. Do not remember if it's like that on these but better safe than sorry

I'm pretty sure it is needed on this one and I did do that. I didn't get a go at it again today with the weather that we had but hopefully get to mess with it again soon .

Just wondering, how important is it to support the shaft as you're pulling it out? I was wondering cause when I go to pull on it whether I should just be concentrating on pulling as hard as I can or whether I should also be concentrating on it in the sense of supporting it level while pulling? The holding level part might get a little difficult with the u joint on the drive shaft when I hook that on and pull it

/ Removing PTO shaft Ford 2000 #6  
Just wondering, how important is it to support the shaft as you're pulling it out? I was wondering cause when I go to pull on it whether I should just be concentrating on pulling as hard as I can or whether I should also be concentrating on it in the sense of supporting it level while pulling? The holding level part might get a little difficult with the u joint on the drive shaft when I hook that on and pull it

Does not need to be suported when pulling out, might be a idea to get a pice of pipe that fits snugly on the spline when you put it back togeter sinse moste of the shaft is inside the tractor so you can have some leverage on it

Sounds good, thanks!