3550 Industrial Steering Box Dead

/ 3550 Industrial Steering Box Dead #1  

CTPhil

Gold Member
Hello,

I was using my 3550 Industrial yesterday and it just stopped steering. It had been rough for years, but suddenly now I turn the wheel, and the output shaft does little to nothing. It's an old rambling wreck of a tractor so I have no problem going right to the diagnosis that the steering gear box has just worn completely out. Am I correct in assuming that it is basically a manual box since the power assist is part of the drag link?

So my question is what now? I'm in for replacing the steering gear assembly, but what's available is all over the map for new aftermarket, from $300 to $700 or more. How do I tell the good from the not so good? If anyone has suggestions of any kind, I'm all ears. :)

Thank you!

/ 3550 Industrial Steering Box Dead
Well I'm embarrassed, it's a false alarm. The steering wheel which was a new aftermarket I put on when I bought the tractor was spinning on the shaft, the splines were worn off. So I pulled it up some and it caught, I put some machine bushings under it and put it back on and it will work until I get another steering wheel. :)

/ 3550 Industrial Steering Box Dead #5  
i'd shrink the hub some and try to fix the steering shaft splines.

if that don't work, cut a keyway.

i'd shrink the hub some and try to fix the steering shaft splines.

if that don't work, cut a keyway.

I'm not sure how I'd shrink the hub. The wear seems to be mostly the steering wheel, which is a new replacement, but was purchased because of the low price. :rolleyes: I may try to find a used OEM steering wheel.

/ 3550 Industrial Steering Box Dead #7  
New part is worn? Or was wrong part and doesn't fit?

How to shrink it? Just like with clothing, put it in the dryer. ( weld bead heat ). Or flat face pounding to close up id, and staking too.

New part is worn? Or was wrong part and doesn't fit?

How to shrink it? Just like with clothing, put it in the dryer. ( weld bead heat ). Or flat face pounding to close up id, and staking too.
The steering wheel was new, and seemed to fit, but it may have been a sloppy fit from the beginning. The splines on the inside are noticeably worn now. I can't really see myself shrinking or otherwise fixing it, the hub is encased with plastic. I suppose I could cut it away. I have no way of cutting keyways. I'd thought about a set screw, but I could see that just prolonging the agony. A through bolt or roll pin maybe, but I'll bet the shaft on the steering gear is pretty hard.

/ 3550 Industrial Steering Box Dead #9  
No problem, easier to decide you can't do it.

If you own a wire welder or arc welder, or a flat file, or a sawsall, or a drill, a center punch, and a masonry bit, there are quite a few ways to fix it.