Ford 1700 steering gearbox

/ Ford 1700 steering gearbox #1  

tkrlyon1

Does anyone know where I can find a manual steering gearbox that will fit my ford 1700 (Japanese model)? I bought one several months back that I believe came off of some other type of compact tractor and it only lasted a month before the balls came out of worm gear. I bought the kit to replace the 5.5mm balls and tube and it is starting to act up again.

Last edited:
   / Ford 1700 steering gearbox #2  
I've only found the steering sector, as well as the steering shaft which includes the worm gear on Ebay. I just looked and they are available.

If you want the actual case that holds the oil ('sump' per Messicks parts diagram) you'll probably have to go to the salvage market (Tractor House shows some 1700 salvage units) . Messicks shows it for $426 but from what I've read here you need to call and confirm availability. It's all pricey and I'm trying to get used to it, though haven't needed too much yet. Good luck, Toukow

/ Ford 1700 steering gearbox
I've only found the steering sector, as well as the steering shaft which includes the worm gear on Ebay. I just looked and they are available. If you want the actual case that holds the oil ('sump' per Messicks parts diagram) you'll probably have to go to the salvage market (Tractor House shows some 1700 salvage units) . Messicks shows it for $426 but from what I've read here you need to call and confirm availability. It's all pricey and I'm trying to get used to it, though haven't needed too much yet. Good luck, Toukow

FYI if you ever run into this issue. I have found that a Yanmar steering box has the exact same bolt pattern as the original gearbox. They appear to be more available and also less pricey.