water pump squeek?

/ water pump squeek? #1  

chopped

Veteran Member
Hi there. Well the tractor is 25 plus years 1100 hours. 3cylinder..garaged. So when I shut it down there is a slight squeek. I order and replace the fan belt and turn the fan by hand and hear the small squeek. hmm its tiht as can be so I doubt its the bearing and it dowent leak etc. Any idea what part is causing this sound? I see a small machined hole in the top near the input shaft. so I set some oil into it and see if that helps. It spins freely also BTW.
Any ideas?

/ water pump squeek? #2  
Hi there. Well the tractor is 25 plus years 1100 hours. 3cylinder..garaged. So when I shut it down there is a slight squeek. I order and replace the fan belt and turn the fan by hand and hear the small squeek. hmm its tiht as can be so I doubt its the bearing and it dowent leak etc. Any idea what part is causing this sound? I see a small machined hole in the top near the input shaft. so I set some oil into it and see if that helps. It spins freely also BTW.
Any ideas?
Maybe the belt has a glazed spot on it causing a squeal. Get some belt dressing at NAPA and apply that and see if that alleviates the problem noise. I take it you have no signs of overheating? That hole you put oil in will weep when the seal leaks. It's not a oil hole.

/ water pump squeek?
Maybe the belt has a glazed spot on it causing a squeal. Get some belt dressing at NAPA and apply that and see if that alleviates the problem noise. I take it you have no signs of overheating? That hole you put oil in will weep when the seal leaks. It's not a oil hole.

Thanks about the weep hole... but I have a new belt and with the engine off I slightly rotate the fan and hear the noise . when its running you cant hear it at all. Belt dressing didnt make a difference. but Ive used it with good luck before.
Yes no overheating..

/ water pump squeek?
I have tighten it. but it squeeks slights with NO belt at all on it. Just turning the fan feeely by had. you hear the slight squeek only when its turning slow like when shut down.

/ water pump squeek? #6  
Chances are it's from the shaft seal at the front, since it doesn't run in oil it might squeak a bit when barely rotated. If the bearings are tight and it doesn't leak or make noise when running I wouldn't worry about it too much.