Ford 4000 issue with steering column.

/ Ford 4000 issue with steering column. #1  

exedman

Tractor
Ford 2000/JD 420/TO20/Ford 4000
Hi all...

I worked my "new to me" 1973 Ford 4000 digging semi frozen gravel with my loader and spreading it on my iced over driveway. I did this for an hour.

Bad idea!

I stopped when I noticed a tablespoon of oil running down the steering column.

Does anyone know what is going on?

Thank you so much in advance.

Exedman

/ Ford 4000 issue with steering column. #2  
I had a similar problem on our Ford 4610. I replaced the power steering filter (located in the pump) and it stopped. I think the filter restriction increased the pressure and a seal started leaking.

/ Ford 4000 issue with steering column.
Hi Jerry...

One fact I omitted because I only thought of it afterwards is that this tractor has been sitting unused for 8 years. It has only 1600 hours. Maybe seals dry?

Thank you for your suggestion.

Exedman

/ Ford 4000 issue with steering column. #4  
Usually (You can never say "never" with old machinery!) the modern seals don't "dry out" but I suppose that's a possibility. If you have the same power steering pump/reservoir system that's on our 4610, the filter and filter seals cost about $10 and its about a hour job to replace it and it probably needs it anyway.

/ Ford 4000 issue with steering column. #5  
The filter isn't hard to change at all.

Hi all...
Thank you for your input. I intend to change the filter first as suggested.
Yesterday I got desperate and decided to use the Ford 4000 to clean my 2200 foot driveway since we may be getting a bit more snow. I haven't even put on my snow blower this winter! It was around 30 degrees F.
The column didn't leak for a couple of minutes and I starting thinking......whoa...just maybe....
But after a couple of minutes it oozed a dark oil...about a teaspoon...
I ran the tractor for a total of 15-20 minutes and it oozed about a teaspoon.
Thanks again for your suggestions.
Take care,
John

Hi again....
What I didn't mention is that the first time it leaked, the fluid was new looking and the second time, it was dark and dirty looking.
Take care,
John

Hi all....

Jerry/MT may have it right. Change the filter!!!

I changed the filter today and it appears to have stopped the steering column leakage. The old filter was pretty ugly looking. This 1973 Ford 4000 tractor has only 1600 hours on it. I've run the 4000 for one hour with no leakage!!!! I still can't believe it. I was prepared to pay $600 plus to get the column seals replaced(too complicated for me).

The power steering filter is a pain to change because of the loader frame. I raised the bucket as high as it would go. I discovered that the line fittings are 25/32.... And.....the bolt is tricky to get back in.....

I was concerned that the filter didn't have a proper seal because there were no gaskets and no ridges compared to the original filter.... it was metal on metal. Maybe it isn't critical!

I had to remove the engine oil filter to have room to work.

I'll repost after running it for a few more hours, but, I think Jerry/MT is absolutely correct!

Thank you Jerry/MT.

Take care,

John

Last edited:
Hi all....

It appears that I dodged the bullet and that replacing the filter solved the problem. Again, thank you Jerry/MT....

I have some reservations about the filter that i used which has no gaskets or ridges. It's an A&I A-18B250 PWR STR FILTER.

BTW...I used about two cups of Tractor Supply Super Trac 303 Tractor Hydraulic Fluid to top off my power steering fluid. Whatever was in there originally was reddish.

I hope that was O.K.

Take care,

John

/ Ford 4000 issue with steering column. #10  
Hi all....

It appears that I dodged the bullet and that replacing the filter solved the problem. Again, thank you Jerry/MT....

I have some reservations about the filter that i used which has no gaskets or ridges. It's an A&I A-18B250 PWR STR FILTER.

BTW...I used about two cups of Tractor Supply Super Trac 303 Tractor Hydraulic Fluid to top off my power steering fluid. Whatever was in there originally was reddish.

I hope that was O.K.

Take care,

John

In the marine industry ATF is sometimes used for power trim and tilt pumps on engines. The rule of thumb there is if red replace/top off with ATF; if clear, use PTT fluid aka a highly refined hyd fluid....almost clear. Doubt just topping off would make that much difference. Seems ATF has a variety of applications other than it's namesake. Was just reading a couple of days ago where a guy had an engine stuck so he filled the cylinders with ATF and the next day he could roll it.