65 Ford 3000 select o speed sporadic 3 point lifting, any easy fix?

/ 65 Ford 3000 select o speed sporadic 3 point lifting, any easy fix? #1  

davedj1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501
Hi guys, I have let my tractor sit for the last week or so, I left the 3 point lift lever in the down position. I started it the other day and the lift wouldn't go up. After several attempts and shutting it off and moving the lever back and forth and starting it in the up position it worked. I moved some stuff with it and used the tractor to lift some shingle as I was shingling my garage roof.
Today I started the tractor up, no lift, I didn't have the time to jerk with it so I moved it with the forks dragging on the ground. The lever get's very difficult to move to the full up position, if I flip the draft control lever it goes up easy but still won't work. I tried shutting the tractor off and moving the lever to the up position and no go. To be clear ,the lever goes to the up position very easily when the tractor is shut off. It's a gas tractor if that matters. I'm hoping it's nothing to serious as I am building a 3 point winch to drag some trees out for firewood. I'll check the fluid level tomorrow if it's not too crappy out.
Thanks,
Dave

/ 65 Ford 3000 select o speed sporadic 3 point lifting, any easy fix? #2  
Do check that fluid, if its cold and thick like grease, its going to have issues, same if its dirty, same if it has water in it.

If its nasty, dump in some ATF, alcohol and k1 or diesel, give it a victory lap, drain and refill with a good utf oil

/ 65 Ford 3000 select o speed sporadic 3 point lifting, any easy fix?
Thanks soundguy, I've been scouring google for possible answers. It happened one other time back in the summer so I don't think it's thick oil but I could be wrong. I want to change it all anyway just didn't want to do it now.
I'm not really feeling pulling the cover but I wan to to change the filters and screens. I can't fit it in my garage right now.

Well I checked the rearend fluid via the little square plug by the neutral lever (I have an sos trans) and it came out but it was black as black could be. I planned on changing it anyway just not today! LOL I drained it, poured in a quart of ATF then 4 1/2 gallons of diesel fuel and took her for a spin down the street and back, drained into a clean bucket and labeled it for future flushings.
As soon as I started it after pouring in the diesel/atf mix the 3 point came up! I drained it and filled it back up with universal trans from TSC and all seems to be working, we'll see.
Thank you for your help Soundguy.

/ 65 Ford 3000 select o speed sporadic 3 point lifting, any easy fix? #5  
Glad to help. Thick nasty greasy oil tends to foul stuff up.

Ok any other suggestions or is pulling the cover inevitable? I had to move it today and the 3 pt only came up a few inches. I didn't mess with it as it had to be moved. It drops overnight and usually comes up while starting it. Then to top things off my laptop took a dump today. Thanks

/ 65 Ford 3000 select o speed sporadic 3 point lifting, any easy fix? #7  
if it will go all the way up by adjusting the draft lever ( sometimes you can hold it with some pressure or at an angle slightly ).. If that works, the pump and valving is working . If you can never get it to come up, it may be a very well worn cam follower pin.

The leakdown is just that.. leaking. at low rpm, a large leak can overwhelm the pumps output. If the leak is on the piston side or at least on the side between the check valve and the piston, the lift will drop when pump flow is less than leakage, or when the pump is off. / engine not running .

do a few tests first, before yanking the cover off.

It's still very possible that you have junk circulating from the oil change.

If any water came out of the rear, I'd dump in some denatured alcohol into the rear then run her around.

if it will go all the way up by adjusting the draft lever ( sometimes you can hold it with some pressure or at an angle slightly ).. If that works, the pump and valving is working . If you can never get it to come up, it may be a very well worn cam follower pin.

The leakdown is just that.. leaking. at low rpm, a large leak can overwhelm the pumps output. If the leak is on the piston side or at least on the side between the check valve and the piston, the lift will drop when pump flow is less than leakage, or when the pump is off. / engine not running .

do a few tests first, before yanking the cover off.

It's still very possible that you have junk circulating from the oil change.

If any water came out of the rear, I'd dump in some denatured alcohol into the rear then run her around.

Soundguy thank you for your response. I started it today and nothing :( I will say that when it does work it works great, plenty strong, smooth as silk so it has me befuddled.
I tried every combination of that lever, slightly, all the way etc and nothing :(
It only leaks down like overnight so that shouldn't be an issue per se.
I don't mind pulling the cover as I would like to change the o rings and filters.
Not any sign whatsoever of moisture came out of the rear end. I was going to check the fluid level today but I got sidetracked on my winch build.
I do have another question as far as it starting, do you think the petronix ignition is worth the investment and I'm sure new plugs wouldn't hurt.
Thanks again,
Dave

/ 65 Ford 3000 select o speed sporadic 3 point lifting, any easy fix? #9  
do a general tune up on it before you decided on going for electronic ignition. I have plenty of points systems and i do have a few EI.. they all start. The EI even seems to start as good as the points systems. ;)

The lift working and not working is very likely a sticky unloader valve.

If It was me, I think I would put a couple cans of seafoam transtune into the rear end. and run it and see if it would help unstick it before I went to pulling the top cover and then disassembling the monolythic valving/piston/cyl assembly.

OK, thanks for the advice, will do the above first.