hard start under 40* thoughts?

/ hard start under 40* thoughts? #1  

davedj1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501
So I have this vintage 65 Ford 3000 gas tractor (3 cyl) and it just doesn't want to start under 40*.
I checked the plugs and they didn't look too bad but I think they are incorrect, they are a Champion N5C , it doesn't cross to the suggested plug so I bought those, Auto Lite 405's.
I can't put them in right now as it won't start and I can't swing the battery out of the way with the loader down.
I have searched the web and found a lot of threads but not much of a cure reported back.
I want to do a complete tune up but was hoping to do that with the loader off for paint. I hate the thought of this boat anchor sitting in my driveway until spring (it's kind of in the way for plowing)
I have fresh gas in it always. Any tips and tricks?
Thanks as always,
Dave

If it matters the plugs were a bit dark but over all not bad, gap was correct.
She cranks but just won't catch, maybe I'll try two batteries hooked to it.

/ hard start under 40* thoughts? #2  
throw a jumper on from the battery to the coil and give it a try, is the choke hooked up and working? can you tow it to start? or try a shot of ether.

/ hard start under 40* thoughts? #3  
I had an 9N that was hard to start in cold weather. I found if you could get some heat on the intake manifold it would fire up. When the engine was stone cold it wouldn't pull gas from the updraft carburetor. That 9N may have had low compression adding to that problem.

/ hard start under 40* thoughts? #4  
So I have this vintage 65 Ford 3000 gas tractor (3 cyl) and it just doesn't want to start under 40*.
I checked the plugs and they didn't look too bad but I think they are incorrect, they are a Champion N5C , it doesn't cross to the suggested plug so I bought those, Auto Lite 405's.
I can't put them in right now as it won't start and I can't swing the battery out of the way with the loader down.

I have searched the web and found a lot of threads but not much of a cure reported back.
I want to do a complete tune up but was hoping to do that with the loader off for paint. I hate the thought of this boat anchor sitting in my driveway until spring (it's kind of in the way for plowing)
I have fresh gas in it always. Any tips and tricks?
Thanks as always,
Dave
If it matters the plugs were a bit dark but over all not bad, gap was correct.
She cranks but just won't catch, maybe I'll try two batteries hooked to it.

When is the last time you gave it a complete tune up and checked the fuel system? My 3000 has had a Zenith carb since I bought it 10yrs ago and it starts instantly down to -10* without the choke. The only time it’s ever had a hard time starting was when the points were going bad. I bought the NH points and haven’t had to touch them in the last 4years.

/ hard start under 40* thoughts?
Thanks for the replies, I'll answer them in order.
1) Choke is working, can't tow to start as it's a select o speed transmission ( I think maybe part of the problem with all that fluid to churn over cold)
2) I did read that somebody used a heat gun, I will try that.
3) I just bought the thing so I have no idea when it was last done if ever. I will tune it up as soon as I can get it in the garage. I'm pretty sure it has the Holley carb. What is there to check on the fuel system, it's getting gas as far as I can tell, once running it runs great.

/ hard start under 40* thoughts? #6  
We had an old Ford truck that would not start sometimes, put a tarp over the cab down to the ground all around and put a milkhouse electric heater in blowing on the engine. A few hours later, it started right up..

We had an old Ford truck that would not start sometimes, put a tarp over the cab down to the ground all around and put a milkhouse electric heater in blowing on the engine. A few hours later, it started right up..

won't be an option in the woods.

Well it got up to 30 today and I wanted to get the new plugs in. After looking things over I realized if I took the battery out I could swing the tray out without lifting the loader arms. I put in the new plugs and cranked it over after installing a 720 cranking amp deep cycle battery out of my dump trailer and it still wouldn't fire. I then proceeded to pull the distributor cap and rotor and clean the points and contacts in the cap. Put it all back together and still no fire! This whole time I kept my heat gun blowing on the intake on high to try that theory. After a while I just held the choke and cranked till it finally fired a bit the coerced the throttle up a tad until it was running on it's own (that poor starter) LOL
I had visions of selling in the moments before it fired! I think the next step is to get some starting fluid and try that, I believe it's a fuel issue. We'll see tomorrow. Oh I forgot to mention I had my Jeep running with the jumper cables on the tractor too so it was cranking pretty good. If she pops off on the first few cranks with either then I will use that to start it for the winter and possibly put a new carb on it in the spring.

/ hard start under 40* thoughts? #9  
Well it got up to 30 today and I wanted to get the new plugs in. After looking things over I realized if I took the battery out I could swing the tray out without lifting the loader arms. I put in the new plugs and cranked it over after installing a 720 cranking amp deep cycle battery out of my dump trailer and it still wouldn't fire. I then proceeded to pull the distributor cap and rotor and clean the points and contacts in the cap. Put it all back together and still no fire! This whole time I kept my heat gun blowing on the intake on high to try that theory. After a while I just held the choke and cranked till it finally fired a bit the coerced the throttle up a tad until it was running on it's own (that poor starter) LOL
I had visions of selling in the moments before it fired! I think the next step is to get some starting fluid and try that, I believe it's a fuel issue. We'll see tomorrow. Oh I forgot to mention I had my Jeep running with the jumper cables on the tractor too so it was cranking pretty good. If she pops off on the first few cranks with either then I will use that to start it for the winter and possibly put a new carb on it in the spring.

Don't use starting fluid. Too much and you can beak the rings. Have you checked your spark? Pull the boot off a plug and put a paper clip or a bent wire in the boot , hold it near a good ground and with the key in the run position crank the engine. You should see a fat, bluish-white spark the color of lightning. If you don't, you have a problem with primary ignition circuit. If you do, then check for adequate fuel flow to the carb. If you have adequate fuel flow then your carb may need a good cleaning.

Jerry, how so on breaking the rings? The stuff I bought says it has lubricants in it to prevent damage to cylinders.
I'll check the spark as soon as I can get some help, I can't reach the start button and see the plug wire from a single spot...lol
Thank you for your input.