Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033

/ Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033

Just got an e mail from a source I cannot disclose but whom I have known and trusted on New Holland matters for several years.

He told me some interesting things-

1- Watch out for 1033 wagons; most are so old now that problems may begin to show up solely due to age. He likes the 1037.

2- The reason it is hard to find NH expertise on these things is that owners typically become their own experts on them, and they rarely need substantial repair anyway (unless they are wrecked, etc);

3- A 1033 cannot be converted into a 1037; I had been told it was possible, not that doing so was a big requirement;

4- He advised looking at "Farm Chronicles" ads for bale wagons; have not heard of that so I will google it.

Hope some of this helps,

Jim

/ Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033 #12  
Any farm implement can be & is dangerous.

I got a bale basket as cowboydoc pictured, works well for one-person baling if you are stacking anyhow. As well a baler with a thrower & a bale wagon with sides to catch the bales works fine too.

The NH bale pickup trailers depend on very uniform bales & do use the hydraulics a lot on your tractor. The old ones wear out, be careful getting a well used one.

--->Paul

/ Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033 #13  
How light of a bale can you make and be able to use the bale basket and do many bales bust out?

/ Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033

We used our 918 bale wagon with the long chute on our 273 with my spouse in the back to gather about 250 bales on Sunday. I'll post a pic of it soon. Not a one person job and not yet UN-loaded, either!

I also took the 1033 out (still here pending return to owner) to gather 90+ more by hand on Monday, also not unloaed.

Any volunteers--I'll send a map!

Jim

/ Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033 #15  
Jim (everybody),
well I looked at the NH1005 bale wagon yesterday and decided to buy it. It's not home as I didn't feel like unloading the trailer to put it on and then try to fit that load on too. I'll have to go back (4 hours or so each way) to get it as soon as there's an opportunity. Attached is a small (dial-up sized) pic.

It's a 2 wide unit that holds 56 bales (or 55 if you do the "tie tier" in the middle to stabilize the stack). It will only do single bale unloading onto an elevator ... it won't dump the stack as a block. It does look like converting it to stack could be possible, so that will be an option for the longer run. They had a manual for a 1000/1010 model which seems very close. The 1000 does stack unload, and the 1010 does both stack and single bale.

They didn't remember they had the manual until we'd spent a good while trying to reverse engineer how it all works! LOL. Everything seems OK, a hydraulic leak to fix and a few teeth are needed on one of the conveyer chains. I got what I think is a good "end of year" price, less than half what they were asking for another one closer to here.

I'm looking forward to trying it out.

On the bale baskets, I looked into those too, and they were one the list of possibilities. They seem to have a lot to commend them. The one guy I talked with who had quite a pile of them seemed happy. I'm hoping to automate the unloading part too, as my wife and main helper (as the boys have moved out /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif) has recently come down with Rheumetoid Arthritis so is unable to heft bales about. However she should be able to run the stack wagon onto the elevator ... we'll see. We recently got a second tractor (IH674) that has power steering, which she is able to drive. So this does mean that we can bale onto a wagon with me stacking too as an option.

I'm looking forward to trying this thing out /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. If anyone has a two wide model (like the 1000 or 1010) that stacks then I'd appreciate some pictures of the dumping part at some (later) time. There are some pictures in the manual that give a pretty good indication of most of the "engineering" required. It would be a fun project.

cheers, Andrew

Attachments

• 745013-NH1005-sm.jpg
    745013-NH1005-sm.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 847
   / Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033 #16  
You PROBABLY already know, but with those bale wagons, you pick up bales that are sitting on their "side" rather than laying flat. There's a device that goes on the dump chute (rear of baler) that turns them 90*. Not impossible to make. Sometimes I see them sold with the bale wagon.

I rented a self-propelled bale wagon 3 years back. You'll grow to love that critter!

/ Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033 #17  
I did read that in the manual (but didn't know it before then, so thanks for pointing it out). So I have to find a picture of one of those flippers so I can make one ... or at least identify one if I see one. There don't seem to be many stack wagons around this area (I haven't spotted a single one yet) so I don't think the chances of finding one are too good.

Glad to hear that you're a fan of these critters ... it sure seems to me to be a good solution. The proof (as they say) will be in the pudding though.

Continuing on the "sideways" line ... I was reading the FAQ link that was recently posted and there was a recommendation to stack the bales on their sides in a hayloft. I've only seen them stacked "flat" (but I don't have anything approaching a vast experience in this area). Any thoughts?

cheers,
Andrew

/ Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033 #18  
Hi Andrew
I'd be very interested in your experiences w/ the bale wagon. I'm thinking along those lines and my situation is somewhat similar to yours in the labor dept. My youngest son will be around for a few more years but I need to make arrangements for when he isn't. I'm still trying to learn the ins-outs of hay equipment that I'm unfamiliar with. Until this discussion I didn't know that automatic pull behind bale wagons existed. I did know about bale baskets and thought I'd use those. Like you I also want to keep handling to a minimum.

As for stacking on edge I met a hay producer in NH that did this. He was a featured speaker at an Ag-Expo there. To that point, like you, I hadn't seen it done. The reason given was it keeps the bale looking nicer and in better shape, less likely to come apart. This guy made some significant part of his living from hay so he went above and beyond to deliver the best quality he could. I was also told that stacking on edge doesn't take any more room that the other way. I gave it a try w/ my hay and it works pretty well as far as I can tell. I think though I get more bales in a given space doing it that way. I know this isn't very scientific and it really costs nothing to give it a shot and see how it might work in your situation.

/ Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033 #19  
Jim,
I'll have to try the edge stack thing. Hopefully I can get some more hay made in the sunny days that are supposed to be coming up.

Will be sure to let you know how the wagon works out. I can't wait to be able to try it, but it likely won't be till next week at the earliest unless I decide to do a weekend road trip (I'd rather be home with Susan :).

BTW, attached is a picture of what I think is the bale rotator. Found it by accident, don't know where!

cheers, Andrew

Attachments

• 745128-(Bale Flipper) 500_Series_002_03.jpg
    745128-(Bale Flipper) 500_Series_002_03.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 1,080
   / Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033 #20  
A bale takes up the same amount of volume no matter which way it is stacked. Another thing about stacking on its side is it is easier for air to flow thru that way.