Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033

/ Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033 #21  
Sort of...yes its still the same volume but would fill a given space differently depending on how its oriented. I'm recalling one of those carefully packed boxes (could be anything) that once unpacked never will repack unless everything goes back exactly the same way. Does this make sense?? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033 #22  
Thanx Andrew
I'm very much interested in how it works out.

I *think* the attachment you want is a quarter turn bale chute? I've only heard of them but never have seen one up close.

/ Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033 #23  
The difference between your box reference and hay is that the box has different shape objects where as hay should all be the same size and shape. But I did know what you meant. Have fun.

/ Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033 #24  
Banjo,

jimg is correct, it's called a 1/4 turn chute. Seems strange to hear that some of you have never seen one. But, then again, I don't think I have seen a baler in these parts that did'nt have one, so I guess that may seem strange too.

As far as stacking on edge, the 1/4 turn chute on the baler turns them on their side and then the bale wagon picks them up. When the bale wagon sets them down they are stacked on their sides.

If you are restacking by hand, 14x18 bales on their side take up 14" of floor space and on their flat side they take 18". Sounds great, but stacking higher than five on their side will give you quite a workout as each bale is 4" taller on its side and by the time you throw the fifth bale up it's about 16" higher than if stacked flat. But stacking on the side is still better for the some of the reasons already mentioned including that's the way the wagon sets them down for you. It also helps keep the mice from chewing the stings if you are using a twine baler.

On another thread, similar to this one, you asked about the size for a 70-80lb bale. I make 14x18 bales about 38" long = about a mid 70's bale. So that should give you an idea on the bale density. Wagon picks them up great.

Keep us updated,

azzxx

/ Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033

I paid $150 used for my Quarter turn chute. I'd been quoted $275 for a new one last year. Those are USD. Be sure it will hang on the end of the baler you have--it does not work very well on my 273 (is wider than the baler by just a bit), but can be made to work.

I have heard the same thing about ventilation for bales oriented down on the opposite of the cut side.

Beware of imperfectly made bales--bale wagon will make your life miserable with them.

Also, beware: if your land is at all "rolling" you'll curse the bales that drop off the QT chute and roll one more time, thus being off the preferred orientation requiring someone to come along before the wagon to fix things.

And check Ebay and the web for manuals for older equipment. New Holland has a "Document Control Service" which sells older manuals (including parts and service manuals--highly recommended). Always compare prices since ebay stores, etc, are sometimes higher than factory sources.

Case New Holland Doc Control: 1-800-635-4913. Some brands might have online manual versions.

Good luck

Jim

/ Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033 #26  
Jim,
yup that's the "official" name. Found the following description from the NH site:

Optional bale chutes include a quarter-turn bale chute that drops bales on their sides so twine is kept away from the ground to prevent rotting. Bales are placed in a proper position for retrieval by automatic bale wagon. The optional triple-purpose chute supports bales as they leave the chamber, and can be set to roll bales to the left, away from next windrow.

But I guess if they're common in lots of other places this is all "old news" LOL. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Also found where I found the picture of what must be one that I attached a few posts back ... in the NH baler section ... I think it's just supposed to be showing of the "perfect" bales you get and happens to be in the background. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyone happen to have one to take some pictures of from other angles? A web search found a few references, but a few more shots would help in welding something up.

azzxx, thanks for the bale density info too. If I manage to get the stuff I raked yesterday baled, I'm going to play with the adjustments more. I was having tension problems last time out (when I tried going for heavier bales, and using the second chute to load them onto a regular wagon), the bales just kept getting heavier and then the strings were breaking. Then the rain came, so I figured it just wasn't my day and packed it all in! Of the few successful ones I got, the one I weighed was 77# ... so right in the ballpark. Cleaned everything out, and switched to the heavier twine ready for this go round.

thanks again, Andrew

/ Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033

Some of the more experienced members can correct me if nec, but I believe when you use that extension chute for passing bales to a trailing wagon, that can effectively add bale tension since it takes more push to move the bales up into the extended chute. I noted my bales getting heavier under that scenario.

I'll take pics of my QT today and send them along.

Jim (jgh version)

/ Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033 #28  
azzxx:
Ive never seen a 1/4 turn attachment just b/c I think they must be one of those things you use w/ an automatic wagon. Where I come from no one uses automatic wagons. Also loading by hand would be much less pleasant if the twine was turned to the side. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

jgh:
What does the bale wagon do when it comes upon a less than perfect bale? Interesting about rooling bales on non-flat terrain. There's nothing to cause pervent this? Seems that would defeat the purpose somewhat of mechanizing. Gotchas like this you can only learn after the fact. I like this forum!

Is the 1/4 turn attachment mechanical or just a humped or twisted chute that causes the bale to turn as its fed out?

/ Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033 #29  
Jim (jgh :),
yup would sure appreciate the pics. They quoted me $489CDN plus freight /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. So welding it is.

Jim (g),
I posted a picture that shows it end on from the NH site a bit back. QT Chute Pic from NH

Right now I'm thinking I'll go pick up the 1005 on Monday. If the weather holds then I could try it out on Tuesday.

cheers, Andrew

/ Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033 #30  
jimg,

Look at the picture Banjo posted in his last post. The bale simply slides back along the rail on the right side of the 1/4 turn chute. As it slides back more of the bale becomes extended over the empty space there on the turn chute. Eventually, the next bale pushes it far enough that gravity takes over. As the bale is partially supported by the rail on the right side the left side begins to turn down and drop the bale on its side. They really do work well, nothing much to keep maintained, unless you happen to back it into something!

Also, the chains are necessary for support and adjustment of the angle of the chute. If they are set to low the bale will not complete the 1/4 turn and probably end up on it's flat side. If they are set to high the bale will make the turn but there is too much space between the chute and the ground it may just land on either side.

Anyways, that is how they work.

azzxx