Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033

/ Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033 #31  
If you live in a hilly area and have a problem with a lot of bales rolling over you can always hang a few heavy chains along the quarter turn to guide the bales down to the ground and it should prevent them from rolling.

Also, having to flip a few bales back over is a lot easier then hand stacking the entire pile after you handled each bale a couple times. I know with a kicker you always get one or two bales that either roll off the top or just miss from not paying attention. In this case you have to pick them up and toss them back up into the wagon. It is much easier to just kick them onto their side /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

/ Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033

Sorry to be slow on that picture, will get it today for sure (QT chute). In the meantime, couple of observations:
1- As the NH based link shows, there is a slight upturn that you can see on the right side where the short rail is (the one that guides the bale to be up when it falls). That is probably important.
2- Roeder's shows one they offer:
Roeder QT
Be sure to spend some time all over his site, very instructive.
3- On Jimg's (can't go back easily to see who for sure??) ? about less than perfect bales: the problem comes at various levels--(a) if they are misshappen (sp?), banana, etc, the pickup arm will choke on them (b) if they are too light or if they are misshappen but get this far, the first table will malfunction sometimes either in taking them up to begin with or when it is time for the three (or 2 if yours is a 2by machine) to go to table 2; you'd be amazed at what can happen to a hay bale, growl.
4- Robert's chains idea--very interesting, have to check that out if we finally buy a wagon;

more to come, but off to rake, bale and pickup, see y'all.

Jim (jgh)

/ Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033 #33  
Twine on bales stacked on edge get tighter as the bales compress from the weight of those above. They come out of the mow tighter than they went in. Bales stacked 'flat' or strings up get looser by compressing from the weight of bales above.

/ Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033 #34  
Very good point.

I always stack my hay on end, but I had the misfortune of trying to get some straw from a neighbor that was stacked with the strings down. The bales on the bottom just came apart from the compression. Of course straw is more compressible than hay and it was stacked ~ 15 feet high, but I could see the problem occurring in hay.

/ Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033 #35  
Jim,
making your hay is more important than pictures for me, that's for sure.

Think I'll go and pick up the wagon on Monday, so hopefully will be able to give it a try with some of the hay I cut today, plus some stuff I hope to salvage from last week. If my current speed holds true, I suspect it'll be the "armstrong" QT for this season /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

Think I'll definately stack this next batch of bales on edge ... sounds like the superior solution.

cheers, Andrew

/ Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033

Anyone wanting pics of our QT chute send me a PMessage and let me know your e mail address (files are large). The Roeder site (see above post for link) shows a pretty interesting shop-made version.

I have had some difficulty fitting this one to my 273 baler (it's a little wide for the baler output connection).

J

/ Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033 #37  
Success!! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I picked up my balewagon yesterday (9 hour round trip). It's a 1005 model which is similar to a 1000 or 1010 except it only has single bale unload ... it won't stack unload. It's a 2 wide 56 bale model.

Unloaded it today and after doing some raking, baling another field, and hand QTing the bales I baled on Sunday I was ready to give it a go. It worked really well, picked up the bales without any problem. These were 40-45 pound bales**, not too bad (now that I sharpened the knives), but certainly not NH "poster child" bales /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. I just had to watch in a few cases as the bales were close together and I could feed them in a bit faster than it could process them. I wasn't running the PTO very fast, and the cross feed chain only has 2 of the 10 feed palls it's supposed to have (will make and weld on some new ones soon ... the dealer wanted $24 each for them /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif). I found you had to hit the bales pretty dead center for best feeding but started getting better at swinging the wagon to line it up with the bales better. Anyway, filled it up pretty quick (and fed a few more onto the table as well to maximize capacity), headed back and tried the unload part of the cycle.

It took a bit of jigging to get it working best, but by the end of the load it was going fine. The bales fall onto the table, which you set at a bit of an angle. It's nowhere near as "violent" as it sounds, and the unload feeder then feeds them off so they can drop onto an elevator. My wife came out and ran the unload lever and had no problems dropping them onto the little elevator we have so I could unload them.

I then went out and picked up the rest of the bales and backed it into the shed to keep out of the dew until I get some more in the morning. Another benefit is that it's easy to reverse being a nice long wheelbase trailer (rather than a farm wagon where often my "computer power" can't keep up with the physics and geometry happening with the steering /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif).

So, based on todays experience I'm a big fan of these things already! I'm thinking in the long run I want to get stack unloading capability, either by adding it to mine (which doesn't look like too big a deal ... especially if I can get a look at either a 1000 or 1010 model) or by "moving up" to a model that'll do it.

I've attached a picture of it before I headed out. I'll add a full one in a follow-up post.

cheers, Andrew

**PS I have the tension cranked all the way on the NH271 baler and these are are dense as it goes. I did make a few 80# ones a week ago when I had the extra chute on, plus I think the grass was slightly damp and wasn't sliding at all. I packed it in since I was then breaking the strings.

PPS. Tried stacking some of these on edge too ... works well ... think I'll switch to doing it that way all the time.

PPPS. Thanks again for all the help /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 748244-NH1005Stackwagon.jpg
    748244-NH1005Stackwagon.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 970
   / Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033 #38  
Here's the "after" pic with the wagon loaded with bales (plus the extra ones on the table).

Should also mention that the two wide size sure fits well with the narrow entrances to my fields right now ... and is an easy fit into the driveshed.

Didn't take any unloading pics (getting dark /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif), but could do so if need be.

Have to weld up that QT chute PDQ ... don't want to hand QT the next few hundred bales /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

cheers, Andrew

Attachments

• 748247-FirstStackwagonLoad.jpg
    748247-FirstStackwagonLoad.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 1,218
   / Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033 #39  
GOOD DEAL!

There's nothing like buying a piece of equipment that WORKS WELL, makes life easier, and saves time. From my limited experience with stack wagons, they are all that AND a bag of chips!

Now I'm wanting one!

When I rented one a few summers back, I got much more proficient with it after a few hundred bales. Finally, you get to the point where you almost don't ever look back.

A local "hay broker" that buys a couple thousand bales a summer from me has 2 of the self-propelled models. Now THAT'S hayin' made easy!

Glad to hear of your "success story"!

/ Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033 #40  
If anyone has a QT chute that they could measure for the overall length, width of the "shelf" that the bale slides on, and the distance to the side plate that the bale falls into I'd appreciate it. Started with "pre-engineered" data would be better than my educated guesses (you'd like to think anyway /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif ). I'm going to try to whip one up this morning while the dew is burning off.

Jim sent me some great pictures (thanks again), so I'm in good shape on the overall concept between those and the roeder on-line pic. He's busy doing *his* hay too, which has to be the priority.

Today will be the haying last hurah ... rain coming tonight.

cheers, Andrew