Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033

/ Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033 #51  
Jim,
did you end up getting your bale wagon? Hope so as I'm starting of thinking about dumping mods to my 1005 again.

Maple Syrup season is over, so time to start thinking about hay.

cheers, Andrew

/ Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033

Sorry, Andrew, I've been off doing other things and not keeping up with the board.

So far, I have an old 1002 that currently is sitting at a dealer waiting for me to make a deal on some other stuff.

Still looking for something not quite so much of a project, probably a self propelled now being my preference.

J

/ Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033 #53  
Just to throw in my 2 cents....

There are still other ways to gather small square bales. One farmer I know uses some sort of accumulator and gathers a single layer of bales at a time. Then he takes some sort of attachment on his skid loader that can grab this layer and sticks it in the barn (he use this attachment to put it on a wagon first to get it to the barn, dunno)

Saves you if your barn wont work with a stack wagon. Also, if you sell your hay, you should be able to load trailers with this thing, saving you 3 handlings.

We had one of those basket things. Saves you from handing them once, but still have to stack in the barn, and they are all in a mess and you have to fish em out of a pile. Plus you have to pay attention backing that thing up behind a baler that is behind your tractor.

Good luck. I sure dont miss doing straw, but if we had a more mechanized system...

/ Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033 #54  
Just to throw in my 2 cents....

There are still other ways to gather small square bales. One farmer I know uses some sort of accumulator and gathers a single layer of bales at a time. Then he takes some sort of attachment on his skid loader that can grab this layer and sticks it in the barn (he use this attachment to put it on a wagon first to get it to the barn, dunno)

Saves you if your barn wont work with a stack wagon. Also, if you sell your hay, you should be able to load trailers with this thing, saving you 3 handlings.

We had one of those basket things. Saves you from handing them once, but still have to stack in the barn, and they are all in a mess and you have to fish em out of a pile. Plus you have to pay attention backing that thing up behind a baler that is behind your tractor.

Good luck. I sure dont miss doing straw, but if we had a more mechanized system...

/ Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033 #55  
Banjo said:
Jim (everybody),
well I looked at the NH1005 bale wagon yesterday and decided to buy it. It's not home as I didn't feel like unloading the trailer to put it on and then try to fit that load on too. I'll have to go back (4 hours or so each way) to get it as soon as there's an opportunity. Attached is a small (dial-up sized) pic.

It's a 2 wide unit that holds 56 bales (or 55 if you do the "tie tier" in the middle to stabilize the stack). It will only do single bale unloading onto an elevator ... it won't dump the stack as a block. It does look like converting it to stack could be possible, so that will be an option for the longer run. They had a manual for a 1000/1010 model which seems very close. The 1000 does stack unload, and the 1010 does both stack and single bale.

They didn't remember they had the manual until we'd spent a good while trying to reverse engineer how it all works! LOL. Everything seems OK, a hydraulic leak to fix and a few teeth are needed on one of the conveyer chains. I got what I think is a good "end of year" price, less than half what they were asking for another one closer to here.

I'm looking forward to trying it out.

On the bale baskets, I looked into those too, and they were one the list of possibilities. They seem to have a lot to commend them. The one guy I talked with who had quite a pile of them seemed happy. I'm hoping to automate the unloading part too, as my wife and main helper (as the boys have moved out /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif) has recently come down with Rheumetoid Arthritis so is unable to heft bales about. However she should be able to run the stack wagon onto the elevator ... we'll see. We recently got a second tractor (IH674) that has power steering, which she is able to drive. So this does mean that we can bale onto a wagon with me stacking too as an option.

I'm looking forward to trying this thing out /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. If anyone has a two wide model (like the 1000 or 1010) that stacks then I'd appreciate some pictures of the dumping part at some (later) time. There are some pictures in the manual that give a pretty good indication of most of the "engineering" required. It would be a fun project.

cheers, Andrew
Hi Banjo just found this forum and wandered how you went converting the bale wagon to stack. I bought a 1012 last Oct and my cousin wants to buy a cheap 1010 same as 1012 but without pushpads. Can send you pics of our 1012 if you havent got any yet.Thanks Vic

/ Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033 #56  
From what I have read, don't bother with any without pushpads if you plan to use the stack feature instead of single bale unload. You will get frustrated to no end.

lachdunc said:
Hi Banjo just found this forum and wandered how you went converting the bale wagon to stack. I bought a 1012 last Oct and my cousin wants to buy a cheap 1010 same as 1012 but without pushpads. Can send you pics of our 1012 if you havent got any yet.Thanks Vic

/ Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033 #57  
jgh said:

I have heard the same thing about ventilation for bales oriented down on the opposite of the cut side.

Jim

My father did custom baling for almost 40 years. He told me that primary reason for stacking bales for storage with the twine on the sides was that it orients the hay stems vertically, which makes it easier for moisture to move out of the bales. He swore that some times it makes the difference between getting enough moistue out of the hay for good long term storag and spoiled bales.

Jack

/ Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033 #58  
I just purchased an old NH 1010 Automatic Hay Wagon since it looks like I'm bak in the hay business (after a 20 year rest). Since I have had zero experience with these things and there are very few here in Southern New Jersey, I purchased the Operator's Manual from NH. The manual shows the use of "Stack hooks" and "Pull off hooks" that are used to hold the load after the wagon has bee tipped vertically and before it is pulled out from under the load (the Model 1010 does not have pusjh off blocks). The manual hs illustrations of the stack hools and pull off hooks but I have had no luck in finding a place to buy them. They look easy enough to build from round stock, chain and pipe but I have no idea of cahin size, stock size, lengths, etc. If any one can help with either a source of commercial hooks or dimensions, I would apprecate it.

I did find a hint when using older bale wagons without push off blocks. It said to lay 4 x 4 fence posts along the outside of the forks before settin the load all the way down and pulling the wagon away from the stack.

Jack

Banjo said:
I think the newer model wagons had "push off" blocks (is it?) to eliminate the need for the "stack chains". Could someone explain what and how these are/work please. Pictures would be *most* appreciated.

/ Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033 #59  
How much does one of those Hay Baskets Cost? Seems to be a rather new device and finding one used may be difficult. Can you give us an idea on the cost of these Bale Baskets?

/ Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033 #60  

Hi lachdunc
I am day late and a dollar short on this conversation. I would like some photos of the pushpad mechanism on the 1012 as i would like to install some on my 1010 if that is possible. It works well i am just tired of having throw timbers under it to get the bales to slide off when stacking. Any body have the manual and parts catalog for the 1012 that shows the push-off mechanism? Another option might be: Does the 1002 model have pushouts and if so is similar to the 1010. Thanks