Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033

/ Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033 #1  

jgh

Gold Member
Tractor
NH TN90F; B3000 Kubota; Bobcats 430 & A300; Liebherr 621C, Exmark laser Z, 2 sawmills

We trying out a New Holland model 1033 automatic "Hayliner" stackwagon, capacity 104 square bales.

Little problem--our barn's door is not compatible. Do those things get heavy when the unloading is by hand!

More to come,

Jim

Mt Burgha on the Rivanna in VA

Attachments

• 739260-REFRM unloading 1033 Rossen 87 scaled to 100K pixels.jpg
    739260-REFRM unloading 1033 Rossen 87 scaled to 100K pixels.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 2,986
   / Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033 #2  
Jim,
I'll be very interested to hear what you think and how you make out.

As I'm getting started at this (albeit small) essentially single person operation I have reached the conclusion that I need to "automate" the collection process. I just about killed myself trying to beat the rain collecting the 500+ bales I'd just made :LOL:.

I'm talking to a place out west about a 1033 as one option.

Am I right that the 1033 needs 42" long bales? What overhead clearance are you finding you need to dump?

Looking forward to more field reports.

cheers, Andrew

/ Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033 #3  
Go to Sod Busters page here Sod Busters NH hay wagon page

It list all the different models of NH bale wagons as well as the specs and clearance needed for them.

/ Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033 #4  
/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I LOVE this forum. I've passed by the 'automatic bale wagon' link on the NH site SO many times and assumed all that was there were automatic bale wagons. The pull behind was exactly what I've been looking for. Thanx a million for posting that link!

Ummm...let me rephrase that...when I think of automatic bale wagon I think of self propelled too. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif So, my bad... Still thanx for the link. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033 #5  
If you're going to unload the wagon it's usually easier to dump the stack by the door you want to move they hay into. Usually trying to unload them off the stacker is alot more work.

/ Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033

Update and more info

1- After getting the 1033 inspected by a NH expert mechanic and finding numerous welds (mostly bad) underneath, I have agreed with the owner to return it with no obligation. Mech said it needs major redo. Watch out, Banjo and others--get under/over and all around prospective machines. Be wary of parts that don't look true especially where you see welds. A bunch of out of line metal is making the first table stick fairly often on this machine, among other problems.

2- Thanks, Robt, I downloaded that site some time back, very good. See also Balewagon.com, which mentions more models (1089, 1095, etc) that are not on the other site. In fact there are many sellers of these things on the web, mainly out West.

Roeder of KS sends wagons to a former tobacco farmer in Southside VA to sell for him. I am now considering the 2 1033s and one 1037 he currently has, not to mention the 1069 he personally owns (self propelled, nice!).

3- CowboyDoc is right by my experience, so I am trying to find ways to cheat using sliding carriers made from plywood, etc, to lay the loads onto. May need to move the door header up some, also. Will let you know if I succeed.

4- The less high quality bales I am getting from the New Holland 273 I am using makes Bale wagon pickup much more iffy.

Anyone know of one of these for sale anywhere near VA? I want to keep square baling but am frustrated at the manual labor and time needed without a bale wagon. I'll consider any 3 wide model.

Thanks!

Jim

/ Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033 #7  
Yes, Roeder has a great reputation in the farm world for selling quality machines. I already know if I ever buy one it will be thru them.

Who is the VA dealer they have and does he have a web site?

Also, glad to hear you were able to get out of the deal for the 1033. That is one thing I always hear from others about looking one over, always check for welds.

I would love to get a self propelled unit some day but I then have to wonder how much hay I will have to sell to make it pay off. I know I can sell my wagons and buy a pull type for about what I sell my kicker racks for. Just don't have a building built yet to allow the use of a stack wagon.

/ Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033 #8  
For you guys where you are looking for the old cheap ones I would save my money. Get a Bale Basket. There are 0 moving parts. You can unload one right at your door just like the stacker wagon, they hold the same or more bales, and you will never have to work on the thing. Those old stacker wagons can be a bear to work on. The only way a stacker wagon pays off is if you are out where we are and all the hay is stacked outside or if you can get inside and unload the stack. Otherwise you are much better off with a Bale Basket.

/ Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033

Robert, he has no www site, but you can reach John Loftis in Dinwiddie County at 804-265-5864 or 804-691-3491. He (or I) can give you directions to his place if you decide to visit.

Apparently any negotiations have to take place with Roeder, not Mr Loftis.

I'd still like to own his 1069.

Cowboydoc, what is a bale basket? If I have missed it elsewhere in another thread, please point me there.

Hope this is not it (from some atty's site):

PRODUCT DEFECT - FARM EQUIPMENT

Our client, a lifelong farm, bought a used hay bale basket for his farm. The first time he used the basket fully loaded, the release lever on the basket malfunctioned and snapped directly into his face. We discovered manufacturing and design defects in the latching mechanism of the hay bale basket that would not allow for safe use or operation of the basket. Our client suffered numerous facial fractures, permanent brain damage, permanent nerve damage, and permanent damage to his senses of taste and smell. On the eve of trial, we negotiated a $380,000.00 settlement.

Thanks, J

/ Hay Bale wagon New Holland 1033 #10