Rhino 85 hoe?

/ Rhino 85 hoe?
Thanks guys. We're still torn on this tractor. We know exactly how the 45 works, as we had one for our last place. What we can't decide is if we really want that large of a tractor again, to help set up the new farm, when after that is done, we really only need a tractor for market gardening.

Like a 34DA... and just hire out the setup work. SO hard to decide!

/ Rhino 85 hoe? #12  
Get two :D . The geared brute to do the hard work and the smaller one for the maintenance / gardening. Why let someone else get the seat time? (oh yeah $$$) Just think of it as enhancing your mental health.

(Hey, that's one of the hallmarks of TBN isn't it? Helping our friends spend their money :) ).

/ Rhino 85 hoe?
If the budget allowed... in a heartbeat LOL

/ Rhino 85 hoe? #14  
cjtinkle said:
...I'm still not 100% sure we should get the hoe...

I have a NH 758C backhoe on a TC35DA. When I am actually sitting in the backhoe seat digging, I love it. It's both fun and productive, and may even have health benefits because of the stress relief it brings me. However there are some negatives...

1. When trenching, it is a real pain to move repeatedly (i.e. raise the outriggers, climb down from the seat, climb up into the tractor seat, raise the loader bucket move the tractor a few feet, lower the loader bucket, climb down off the tractor, climb back up on the hoe, set the outriggers, dig a few more feet, and repeat.) Compared to a mini-excavator/trackhoe which can be moved along a trench easily.

2. It's a real pain to remove and reinstall. I tend to leave it on or off the tractor, so sometimes I forego using another attachment if the backhoe is mounted, or forego using the hoe when it isn't.

3. It's a pain to store. I don't want to leave it outside, and with the subframe installed it takes up a lot of space in the garage or barn. Others have built dollies for storage and with ease of re-installation and I'm sure that would help, but it is still a fairly large and expensive item to store.

4. Financially it doesn't really make sense for me to own it. I could pay for a lot of rental hours of a full-size backhoe, excavator, mini-trackhoe, or whatever is best suited for the jobs I have, with or without an operator, before I spent what the backhoe cost me.

Still, it's a lot of fun to use, and so what if it isn't always the best tool for the job? I just ordered a 24" bucket (I bought it with a 12") and am about to use it to dig an in-ground pool. I'm sure it will take me a lot longer than a pro with the right equipment, and if I paid myself by the hour I'd go broke, but I'm going to do do it anyway.

/ Rhino 85 hoe? #15  
I am sure that it will take me longer than a pro to do it but so what, I want to do it myself... !! Boy if I had a quarter every time I said that, or took my own advice it would have been done by now.....

Great Stuff here Guys !!

/ Rhino 85 hoe?
Chuck, that's exactly the type of information I'm looking for, practical usage. We've actually decided to purchase a JD 4320 instead of the NH45DA, but we're still up in the air on the darn backhoe. LOL