Rhino 85 hoe?

/ Rhino 85 hoe? #1  

cjtinkle

Tractor
2007 John Deere 4320
It's probably been a year since I asked about a tractor, we got busy and time got away from us, but we are going to purchase a tractor before the end of June. Finally!

90% sure we will replace the 45D that we had before with a new 45DA, although we might go with the 40DA. Working on negotiating a deal with the dealer back home now, and asked for a hoe quote. The Rhino 85 is the hoe he quoted us. $6995

Could I please get some feedback on this hoe versus the NH one (758C I think)?

I'm still not 100% sure we should get the hoe, but I'd really like one. We have 60 acres of wooded hilly land, but other than the drive, only plan on working about 10 acres, possibly 15 of it. The rest is our privacy buffer.

I thought the hoe would be great for things like putting in the septic, a root cellar, lots of water lines for the huge gardens I want (we intend to do market gardening later on), digging in trees, running power lines, etc. It could be though that a tractor mount hoe isn't up to these tasks?

Appreciate the feedback... again :p

/ Rhino 85 hoe? #2  
Either hoe is substantial and should perform the tasks you have
in mind. You should not have a problem getting a subframe for the
NH TC40 and it provides more than enough hyd flow (9.8 GPM) to run
the hoe. Good luck negotiating a deal.

/ Rhino 85 hoe? #3  
When my brother and I were in the research/looking/wanting phase of our TLB purchase we looked at several BH options, including the Rhino. We ultimately decided on the Woods BH90-X for several reasons. We had a chance for a side by side comparison of the BH90-X, BH80-X and the 758C. The 90 was much more substantial than the 80 or 758. The 80 & 90 had thumbs, 80 could only take a manual thumb, but the 90 could take a hyd thumb as well. I haven't regretted getting the 90 w/ the hyd thumb at all (we have the 18" bucket). It is not in the same price range as what you're looking for, however.

I think the Woods BH80-X compares favorably with the price range you're looking at and IMHO is also a more substantial product, plus you can get a mech thumb with it, if need be. It's worth considering.

/ Rhino 85 hoe? #4  
cjtinkle said:
The Rhino 85 is the hoe he quoted us. $6995

Could I please get some feedback on this hoe versus the NH one (758C I think)?
There is no differance, they are the same backhoe with differant stickers.

/ Rhino 85 hoe? #5  
DK35vince said:
There is no differance, they are the same backhoe with differant stickers.

yeah - what he said:D Rhino is the OEM for NH backhoes.

Does that price include a subframe mount?

As MadDog mentioned - you may want to look at the Woods units. I'd be looking at the 9 foot hoes for that size machine - 759 or Rhino equiv or the Woods BH90-X.

/ Rhino 85 hoe?
Here's what he emailed me:

Rhino 85 backhoe with 8'6" digging depth, subframe and PTO pump - $6995

Is that smaller than the Woods 90-X then? I guess I assumed 8'6" would be a 9' foot.

/ Rhino 85 hoe? #7  
yes - it's a bit smaller than the 90-X 7" on depth, 13" more reach but the digging strength specs are considerable higher on the woods hoe - up to 5,070# bucket force vs. 3,550 for the NH/Rhino and 2,900 dipper stick vs. 2,225.

Check out woods page - BH90-X They have a spec sheet & a "dare to compare" page that will show you the specs side by side.

/ Rhino 85 hoe?
Okay, silly question. Since our NH dealer isn't a Woods dealer, (but we do have a Woods dealer locally) how does that work? Do we have to take the tractor to the Woods dealer for installation, or is this something we do ourselves?

I know the hoe's come off obviously, but wasn't sure about initial installation because of the subframe. HA I really should have hubby asking these questions as he'd understand your replies...LOL

/ Rhino 85 hoe? #9  
Typically initial install is done by the dealer, though several mechanically inclined tbn members have done it themselves. The woods site has a manuals section - you can review the install instructions & decide if it is something you want to tackle. Your NH dealer may be willing to set it up for you - depends on what kind of relationship they may have with the other dealer.

/ Rhino 85 hoe? #10  
Make sure you've thought out your possible uses and attachments of which tractor you choose. Once you mount the subframe (agree w/ hazmat on the owner install option, dealer installed mine as a purchase package) you may have some limitations. (e.g., no Cab, no MMM). Many NH dealers are familar with Woods equipment and the total compatibility. This is a link to many different tractor/subframe options with Woods, Backhoe Sub-Frame Mounting Kits Operator's Manuals.

Like I said earlier, when I compared the BH90-X right next to the BH80-X and 758C, the 90 blew away the other two. It made the other two look down right puny. I have no regrets getting the 90, and was well worth the extra bucks.