Tractor
    NH TN75

Default Bad Brake Plunger Seal on TN

Went up to use the TN this weekend and noticed fluid on the right side of the drivers platform. Upon closer investigation, it appears the rear seal on the right brake plunger has given it up as fluid is leaking when the pedal is depressed.

Can anyone give me advice/direction on fixing this? Is the rear seal the culprit? I'm hoping I don't have to pull the dash apart to get to this, as when I pull the rubber boot back, it looks like there is a retaining ring keeping the internal components intact. I'm hoping the bad seal is the rear seal and located just behind this, but not sure.

Any guesses on why this seal went bad on a TN75 with less than 200 hours on it? Maybe this is normal - but doesn't seem like a part that should go bad.

If I do get the seal replaced, will I also need to bleed the brakes?
    As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. (Proverbs 27:17)

Tractor
    IH M Farmall-propane powered, H Farmall (father-in-laws), Ford 1300 diesel

Default Re: Bad Brake Plunger Seal on TN

Is it possibly still under warranty? I would call the dealer and inquire as to why it failed. Might be just a standard type mastercylinder. Shouldn't be to hard to repair if that is the case, course it might be hard to get to if it's under dash in a secret spot. I'm thinking yes to the bleeding the brakes after repair. Might do a search on TBN for brake problems and see what comes up.
    Praise is not something you do to get closer to God, praise is a response to God being close to you.

Tractor
    Case-IH Farmall 45A, Kubota M8540 Narrow, New Holland TN 65, Bobcat 331, Ford 1920, 1952 John Deere M, Allis Chalmers B, Bombardier Traxter XT, Massey Harris 81RC and a John Deere 3300 combine, Cub Cadet GT1554

I have not heard of any other TN's having this type of problem so I think it is safe to say it is an isolated incident. Not that it will make you feel any better but when you get it fixed you shouldn't have to worry about it again.

God must love stupid people; He made so many

Tractor
    NH TN75

Unfortunately, the entire brake hydraulic pump assy. has to be replaced as NH does not offer just parts to fix the seal.

Yeah, I kind of thought it was an unusual problem to have too. Maybe the seal went bad because I'm not using the tractor enough?

Went ahead and had the dealer pick up the TN for repair, so will see what he says. Had a few other smaller things that needed fixing too.
    As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another. (Proverbs 27:17)

Elite Member
    Tractor
    2003 NH TN70A

[quote=1bush2hog]
    Any guesses on why this seal went bad on a TN75 with less than 200 hours on it? Maybe this is normal - but doesn't seem like a part that should go bad.

[quote]

What year?
    Bob