Bad Brake Plunger Seal on TN

/ Bad Brake Plunger Seal on TN #1  

1bush2hog

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TN75
Went up to use the TN this weekend and noticed fluid on the right side of the drivers platform. Upon closer investigation, it appears the rear seal on the right brake plunger has given it up as fluid is leaking when the pedal is depressed.

Can anyone give me advice/direction on fixing this? Is the rear seal the culprit? I'm hoping I don't have to pull the dash apart to get to this, as when I pull the rubber boot back, it looks like there is a retaining ring keeping the internal components intact. I'm hoping the bad seal is the rear seal and located just behind this, but not sure.

Any guesses on why this seal went bad on a TN75 with less than 200 hours on it? Maybe this is normal - but doesn't seem like a part that should go bad.

If I do get the seal replaced, will I also need to bleed the brakes?

/ Bad Brake Plunger Seal on TN #2  
Is it possibly still under warranty? I would call the dealer and inquire as to why it failed. Might be just a standard type mastercylinder. Shouldn't be to hard to repair if that is the case, course it might be hard to get to if it's under dash in a secret spot. I'm thinking yes to the bleeding the brakes after repair. Might do a search on TBN for brake problems and see what comes up.

/ Bad Brake Plunger Seal on TN #3  
I have not heard of any other TN's having this type of problem so I think it is safe to say it is an isolated incident. Not that it will make you feel any better but when you get it fixed you shouldn't have to worry about it again.

/ Bad Brake Plunger Seal on TN
Unfortunately, the entire brake hydraulic pump assy. has to be replaced as NH does not offer just parts to fix the seal.

Yeah, I kind of thought it was an unusual problem to have too. Maybe the seal went bad because I'm not using the tractor enough? :)

Went ahead and had the dealer pick up the TN for repair, so will see what he says. Had a few other smaller things that needed fixing too.

/ Bad Brake Plunger Seal on TN #5  
1bush2hog said:
Any guesses on why this seal went bad on a TN75 with less than 200 hours on it? Maybe this is normal - but doesn't seem like a part that should go bad.

What year?
Bob