Ford 1620

/ Ford 1620 #1  

Anonymous Poster

Does anyone have information on this model - not sure of the year built but somewhere between 94-96. I'd like to find some specs on it, gross and PTO hp, three point capacities, weight, front loader capabilities. Any online sites with this information would also be appreciated. I've looked at one at a local NH dealership with 72"MMM and HST - looks very clean and priced for what I'll need it to do.

/ Ford 1620 #2  
sss, try <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractortips.com>tractor tips</A> for most of the information you want.

/ Ford 1620
Thanks for the site - I found the info on the tractor. Would like some opinions on expected engine life. The Ford 1620 I'm looking at is a 95 model, HST w/72"MMM, turf tires with 2,335 hours. The tractor was used by a Park Service in Texas for mowing, etc and was traded in for a new TC30. The 3pt has never been used (still has paint inside lift rings) - it was used exclusively for mowing. Quesion is what can I expect as far as useful life of the engine/tractor assuming there are no current problems (which chief mechanic at dealer says there's none after inspection). Anything I should be concerned with/look for. I've gone through the tractor - no leaks or stains from previous leaks, etc. What do you guys think. It will be used 90% for residential mowing 3 acres plus I'll be adding a loader and a brush cutter for the field.

/ Ford 1620 #4  
sss, this is an area that I sure don't claim to know a lot about from personal experience, but my guess is that if that tractor is in as good a condition as you think it is (and it probably is), then it should go another 2,000 to 3,000 hours without major problems. What kind of life expectancy with that mechanic at the dealer say it should have? In the bigger tractors, my real farmer neighbors tell me anything from 5,000 to 10,000 hours depending on maintenance is the normal expectation before an engine overhaul. About 6 years ago, one neighbor bought a 25 year old Oliver with over 5,000 hours on it. I don't know how many hours it has now, but I'll bet it's over 7,000 and still going strong. About 3 years ago, another neighbor bought a John Deere with over 7,500 hours that had just had an engine overhaul and he had the dealer put a new FEL on it when he bought it.

/ Ford 1620
From what I've been told at the dealer, I should expect the tractor to run 7,500 to 10,000 hours before any major work would be expected. The records provided suggest that regular maintenance had been followed. If that is a true statement, then if I only put 150 hours per year (which I think would be a lot for my situation), then I could expect over 30 years of use. I'm a stickler for maintenance according to the recommended intervals - good or bad, I don't know but it sure has worked for my vehicles I've owned. I guess I'm really concerned/confused as to whether 2,300 hours is a lot or a little based on compact tractors. What other areas outside the engine block should I be concerned about.

Scott

/ Ford 1620 #6  
Scott, whether it's a lot of hours is relative. Yes, for a compact tractor, that's probably a lot, since most owners only put 100-150 hours a year on their little tractors. But if nothing has been damaged . . ., well, like you said, it'll probably go another 30 years for you. However, I am NOT recommending you buy it. That's just a decision you'll have to make based on your needs, the price, and what you're comfortable with.

/ Ford 1620
Assuming the engine lasts another 2-3,000 hours without major problems from the current reading of 2,300, what other areas of the tractor do I need to have closely inspected for abuse and/or heavy wear and tear. Should I expect the hydro transmission to last as long as the engine assuming its in good shape now? What about axles, controls and other major tractor areas I'm forgeting? Thanks in advance to all that reply

/ Ford 1620 #8  
I agree with all that has been said but think a vital element is missing from the process necesary to asess "value". What is being paid for the item in question?

Let's say I was offered a tractor that cost $15,000 new that ran but with some problems with 5000 hours for a very reasonable amount of $$$ - say $2500. I would probably consider it a good "value". On the other hand, if I were offered a tractor that was only 2 years old and had "only" 200 hours and was going to cost me $3000 less than it would cost new, I would really have to do some thinking about whether it was a good "value"!

In the former case the seller is "writing off" $12,500 worth of tractor for about $2.50 per hour. In the former case, regardless of the value of the tractor new, the owner is writing off $3000 worth of tractor at about $15 per hour. In the latter case, I could almost rent a unit at that rate and never have to worry about maintenance, upkeep or new tractor envy - having a new tractor to rent every year!

I know there are lots of other variables and extinuating details that I overlooked. I also know that I chose polar extremes to make my point but the point still remains - how much one pays for anything is a vital element in determining its "value"!!

/ Ford 1620
Here's the deal from the dealer - 1993 Ford 1620, HST, 72"MMM, 2,300hrs (all mowing) for $6,500. Thats roughly 280hrs per year or 5 hrs per week of use. It was run in connection with a Texas A&M research park project. Records available indicate the tractor was well maintained with maintenance performed at another dealership. They will add a Bush Hog 1846 for $2,750 installed for grand total of $9,250. Is this a good value for the tractor considering the details I'm aware of and have relayed here. I'm not concerned right now with knowing I got the best deal but that I could expect a tractor (any tractor) to last without major future cashflows out based on similar use. I know this is all hypothetical since I'd never know what would/could happen, but I'd like opinions based on past experiences, etc with used equipment. Thanks again for any help! P.S., I plan to use the tractor this weekend (dealer has allowed me to) and will learn/know a lot more about it after that. Any specific things I should look for/listen for other than leaks, excess smoking, etc.

/ Ford 1620 #10  
Scott,
If you use it this weekend and it runs well, I'd say buy it. An old Ford 8N in excellent shape would cost $3,500 to $4,000 and this is a modern tractor with plenty of parts support and a dedicated prior usage you can identify. You would look long and hard for a deal better than this in my opinion. You will surely be able to get your money out of this tractor at trade-in time (maybe even more).