First real tractor (TC26) lots more to learn

/ First real tractor (TC26) lots more to learn #1  

pjtiii

Well, I can't believe it has been a few months since I first got my new TC26. I have been really busy and wanted to have pictures for every one - I know how you all like pictures:D . Don't have the pictures yet, but finally had some time to sit down and type up a few of my learnings.

1) Foot pedals are in an different spot than on a Scotts lawn tractor - AND old habits die hard. I have had few close calls just trying to get it off the trailer when it arrived hitting the go forward pedal when I wanted the brake.

2) TC26 is much bigger than the lawn tractor - takes up my whole garage bay - now need to upgrade the shed

3)FEL sticks out a ways from the front of the tractor really- even while backing up:eek: - scraped a wall in the garage, then the garage door, then my car rims :mad:

4)It helps to read the manual :eek: On first use mowing I was very disappointed as it would stall i=out in high gear when going up small hills - later found out that with MMM you don't cut with the 3ph all the way down - use the "float" area instead.

5)there are better uses for $250 than a ballast box - like paying for part of a box scraper

6) Pat's quick hitch is great - does not work with NH ballast box

7)carry all is extremely useful and cheap

8)why don't box blades come with directions?:confused: I have been playing with it a few times now, and still not sure if I'm doing anything right

Well, guess that's it for now - some of these things are quite embarrassing, I only post so maybe other newbies won't make the same mistakes - I have read all the manuals now, and I'm in much less of a hurry with the machine - and I have finally gotten used to the pedals.

Thanks to everyone for all the insight before I bought!

/ First real tractor (TC26) lots more to learn #2  
pjtiii:

Welcome to TBN and the "Blue Forum" :D! We all have learning curves; some more accelerated than others :eek:. I have lost count of my "embarrassing moments" :eek:. Jay

/ First real tractor (TC26) lots more to learn #3  
Can you elaborate on what you mean by this??

4)It helps to read the manual :eek: On first use mowing I was very disappointed as it would stall i=out in high gear when going up small hills - later found out that with MMM you don't cut with the 3ph all the way down - use the "float" area instead.

/ First real tractor (TC26) lots more to learn #4  
pjtii:

I believe the TC26 is a 3 range HST. I would suggest mowing in a lower range than high. I do not even try to go up hills in high range when carrying heavy attachments with my "29". Jay

/ First real tractor (TC26) lots more to learn #5  
As far as I am concerned; high range is for transport only. I do nothing in high range but go from point a to point b.

/ First real tractor (TC26) lots more to learn
Jay, Unless I really missed something in the manual, the TC26DA is a 2 speed HST - High and low range. I have found that steep hils require the low range even with just the mower. However, most of my lawn only has very moderate hills. On these slight inclines, I was surprised when the high range would bog down and not go up the hill.

The MMM is linked to the 3ph to raise and lower the mower. I had mistakenly first used the MMM with the 3ph position ALL the way at the bottom. In this setting the mower is not allowed to rise or fall with the terrain (it is essentially locked full down). So, when I was trying to go up hill, the tractor was trying to "dig" into the hill with the mower. Once I realized this, and moved the 3ph lever a little off the bottom the mower was able to "float" with the terrain, and I was able to easily go up the incline even in high gear. Not to mention that the lawn was a lot less dug up.

Patrick

And finally some photos's - sorry no action shots. Tractor and attachments.

Attachments

• DSC01100.JPG
    DSC01100.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 344
  • DSC01101.JPG
    DSC01101.JPG
    145.8 KB · Views: 333
  • DSC01102.JPG
    DSC01102.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 284
  • DSC01103.JPG
    DSC01103.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 294
And some photo's of current digging out for slab footing on shed enlargement. One picture is of rocks that I could move, and one is of a rock that I couldn't (you decide). The 5 gallon can is there for perspective. And the kids are there ..well just cuse they are :D

Sorry forgot photo's in last reply

Attachments

• DSC01104.JPG
    DSC01104.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 284
  • DSC01105.JPG
    DSC01105.JPG
    154.4 KB · Views: 268
  • DSC01106.JPG
    DSC01106.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 283
   / First real tractor (TC26) lots more to learn #10  
Is that soil really as rock free and sandy as it looks. If so with that easy digging just dig a deep hole next to where you need the foundation push the rock into it.

Andy