My New TN Tractor Decision

/ My New TN Tractor Decision #1  

drivadesl

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland TN-70A, Kubota U-35 Mini-Ex,SCAG Wild Cat, Cub Cadet 109
I'm going to continue this thread from the general Buying/Pricing forum where I asked questions on making a NH tractor purchase decision. If you read that thread, I was looking for advice on which NH tractor to purchase. Well I completed my decision. Firstly I went with the Woods LU-132 loader. It was close between it and the NH 810 each had there positives. Of course the Woods being $1400 less was probably the deal meaker for that unit, plus the greater reach, and the quick attach system. The cost savings I used to help upgrade the tractor from the TN-60A to the TN-70A. I'm gloating to myself here, cause something about that extra HP (70 vs 57) and torque,(213 ft-lbs vs 159) along with the turbo puts it up a big notch in usable power. I wouldn't say it was a "must have" but I feel alot better about the purchase cause I'd have been kicking myself later if I felt underpowered. Added to the options is MFWD. Given the hilly terrain and type of work planned I think this is a necessity. Also transmission wise went to the 16 X 16 hydraulic shuttle shift. Never had one, but it looks like a good fit for the for the loader work, and ground work I'll be doing. I added the underhood exhaust, an extra rear remote (just in case), block heater, R-4 tires, and pallet forks. On the last item I chose 42" length, which will fit a standard pallet. Not sure if I should upgrade to the 48" since I won't be taking delivery till Feb, so if anyone cares to comment. These would be for moving stumps, big logs, tree planting, etc. Maybe the 6" less length would make overall better manueverability in the woods I don't know. Anyway, now I've got to sit tight and wait for delvery. Thanks for your input in helping me decide on this. I'm so psyched, but its gonna be a long wait.

/ My New TN Tractor Decision #2  
I am sure you have thought out the tire decision and have bought the right one for your application so I won't even address it.

I will say this, you will be happy you went with the extra hp and extra gears. You can never have two many of either.

When it does come in please post some pictures as I don't recall seeing one set up like yours.

The TN is a great tractor and I am sure you will be smiling when it arrives at your house so enjoy the wait as best you can:)

/ My New TN Tractor Decision #3  
You'll love the tractor. I run a TN75D with the same tranny since 2001 and it has been great. I would go with 48" forks. They aren't as long as they seem and you don't have to be fully into a pallet to get it balanced. I use the 48" and have never felt they were too long. I'm not sure about the eshaust. I run the straight up and have never clipped it. The under hood area is already very crowded and I'm not sure I would want anything else in there.

Andy

/ My New TN Tractor Decision
Again good points raised by those in the know. I considered the R1s vs R4s and since the machine will be used both on 2 finished lawns, as well as in the field, I don't want to be leaving deep ruts every where I go. Also I like the fact that the R4s are a few inches shorter which gives me better overhead clearance when around trees etc. I chose the wider of the 2 size tires available which adds greater volume/weight when filled, as well as spreading the load and footprint. If I was just doing field work it would have been a no brainer, but life is full of compromises. Fiinally there's always chains for when really needed. Thanks Andy for the input on the fork lengths, it helps to hear this from someone with real world experience. I'd like to hear from others who may have an opposing view or otherwise. I'll be sure to post photos when she arrives. Its gonna be a lonnnnnnnnngggggg wait.:(

/ My New TN Tractor Decision #5  
AndyMA said:
You'll love the tractor. I run a TN75D with the same tranny since 2001 and it has been great. I would go with 48" forks. They aren't as long as they seem and you don't have to be fully into a pallet to get it balanced. I use the 48" and have never felt they were too long. I'm not sure about the eshaust. I run the straight up and have never clipped it. The under hood area is already very crowded and I'm not sure I would want anything else in there.

Andy

Andy, I think the underhood exhaust is just a term being used. If I recall, the exhaust will run down and under the rear axle. Our exhaust already leads down to begin with and they put a U on it to bring it back up. They don't actually vent the exhaust under the hood.

/ My New TN Tractor Decision #6  
Robert_in_NY said:
Andy, I think the underhood exhaust is just a term being used. If I recall, the exhaust will run down and under the rear axle. Our exhaust already leads down to begin with and they put a U on it to bring it back up. They don't actually vent the exhaust under the hood.

Yes I should have been clearer. I knew where it comes out. I just remember that my dealer said he only recommends them occasionally when it is absolutely necesary for the application.

Andy

/ My New TN Tractor Decision #7  
The main concern with low hung exhaust is that the heat from the exhaust (or possibly a spark) will cause a fire in dry grass or hay fields.

/ My New TN Tractor Decision #8  
Congrats on the new tractor.

Standard high volume #2 pallet is a 48x40 4 way. 48" forks is the way to go.

A couple of tips: have the dealer blow holes in the fork tips to drop a trailer ball thru for a instant trailer mover. Another handy fork tool is a pair of fork extenders 60" or 72" that slide over the fork tines & allow better visibility in front of the tractor for that short squat stuff (not necessarily heavy) that would otherwise need a spotter.

/ My New TN Tractor Decision #9  
BarryinMN said:
Congrats on the new tractor.

Standard high volume #2 pallet is a 48x40 4 way. 48" forks is the way to go.

A couple of tips: have the dealer blow holes in the fork tips to drop a trailer ball thru for a instant trailer mover. Another handy fork tool is a pair of fork extenders 60" or 72" that slide over the fork tines & allow better visibility in front of the tractor for that short squat stuff (not necessarily heavy) that would otherwise need a spotter.

I actually have 10 foot fork extenders that I use with my TN. I've picked up 8 x 8 foot sheds with them.

Andy