Ford 1900

/ Ford 1900 #1  

Michael Ides

Hello everyone,
I am hoping for some advice. I have been looking for a 4wd tractor and I have found a Ford 1900 for sale. I realize this is a Japanese (Shibaura) tractor rebadged. My needs are to use a loader to load a pickup truck with landscaping materials. The truck has sideboards for lighter materials so the FEL must be able to load over 72" (6feet).
Alot of the tractors available in my area tend to be 16-20 hp lighter and smaller tractors, I dont think they will be able to load the truck.
I also have done a poor job of maintaining the crown on my 250 yards of gravel drive way so I will also need a back blade.
Does anyone have experience with this tractor? reliability? parts availability?
I noticed in an older thread that a few of these were in operation at golfcourses. Overall the weight (2750 lbs) seems about right for my uses, I would love to have a hydro but that is not in my budget.

I realize this is an older tractor (1979-1982), what should I check /look for if I go see it? I dont really have tractor experience but have always kept my cars running-H2o pumps, head gaskets,alternators etc. Am I being overly optimistic? It seems to me that it should be easier in terms of parts access, maybe wheels and a few other things would be alot heavier.
Anyway, thanks in advance to anyone with the time and knowledge to be helpful

/ Ford 1900 #2  
Michael Ides:

Welcome to TBN and the Blue Forum :D! The Ford 1900 was a tank IMHO. I am curious as to the number of hours on this tractor and its maintenance history. I believe there are a few 1700 and 1900 owners who are members here. Jay

/ Ford 1900 #3  
Michael Ides said:
Hello everyone,
I am hoping for some advice. I have been looking for a 4wd tractor and I have found a Ford 1900 for sale. I realize this is a Japanese (Shibaura) tractor rebadged. My needs are to use a loader to load a pickup truck with landscaping materials. The truck has sideboards for lighter materials so the FEL must be able to load over 72" (6feet).
Alot of the tractors available in my area tend to be 16-20 hp lighter and smaller tractors, I dont think they will be able to load the truck.
I also have done a poor job of maintaining the crown on my 250 yards of gravel drive way so I will also need a back blade.
Does anyone have experience with this tractor? reliability? parts availability?
I noticed in an older thread that a few of these were in operation at golfcourses. Overall the weight (2750 lbs) seems about right for my uses, I would love to have a hydro but that is not in my budget.

I realize this is an older tractor (1979-1982), what should I check /look for if I go see it? I dont really have tractor experience but have always kept my cars running-H2o pumps, head gaskets,alternators etc. Am I being overly optimistic? It seems to me that it should be easier in terms of parts access, maybe wheels and a few other things would be alot heavier.
Anyway, thanks in advance to anyone with the time and knowledge to be helpful

Hi Michael,

Welcome to TBN. As Jay said this Ford 1900 is a tank in it's class. I own her not so little brother 1700. Both 1700 and 1900 share just about everything but the engine. Ford 1700 with 77.7 cubic inch two banger and 23.3 PTO hp @2500 rpm and 1900 @ 87.2 cubic inch , 3 cylinder and 26.9 PTO hp @ 2800 rpm. You are where I was 1 year ago. I'm mechanically inclined and maintain my own vehicles and home. That's is the prerequisite. I'll try to give you my personal 2 cent of my experience but in order to be a bit more objective give us some details such as pictures, hrs used, historical back ground if available and that may shed a bit more light. Although I lack some objectivity since this is my first tractor.

1. The design is very basic ,utilitarian and simple. The castings and metallurgy are of great quality. Don't know if they still build them like that.
2. Hyd lift (3 point) is of immense value and could not be simpler and more efficient that is designed. Newer TC model follow same design with added bells and whistles.
3. Hyd pump is easy to access and overhaul.
4. Unless you have live power (dual clutch) the PTO is transmission driven and may not be best for finish mowing or when you change direction. For rotary cutting is not an issue. There is no issue with ground pto engaging work as the PTO to transmission coupling is simple and stout design, only need to come to full stop to engage the pto, same holds true with gear changing unless you have synchro mesh tranny. Hydraulic system is live.
5. If you add a breaker bar and set of large size 1/2" deep socket is all you need to work this tractor. Most work can be done with 3/8" set of metric wrenches and sockets.
6. New Holland (CNH) site will give you all the skinny you want about parts breakdown and internal anatomy of your machine. Great resource that you can even down load and save as printed material or computer file.
7. I had zero issue with parts that I needed from dealer. Prices are not prohibitive. I spent more than $30 and bought many o-ring from CNH. If I were smarter at the time one metric package of o-ring assortment form Harbor Freight @ $10 would save me quite a bit. All o-ring sizes are identified on parts breakdown. All consumable like belts, radiator hoses, fuel hoses, fuel filter and oil filter can be found easily using Fram filter and such. Air filter is oil canister type that I think it's great and never need replacement only cleaning.
8. 1700 sips diesel when it's thirsty and a bit less just doing minor chores. All and all it is very cheap to operate this Tractor.

The only draw back to my tractor is that I don't have Front Wheel assist when (seldom) I need, lack power steering and most off all Front loader. What I know for sure when I'm ready to buy a new beast with the option above would not consider to ever get rid off my little 1700.

I have a few thread started in reference to my issues with my tractor and how I ended up solving them with help from the guys here. Do use the search engine of the forum to find them. I'm kind of different about this things and go off the deep end :( :( to explain but you'll find many subject that are of interest to you with many pictures.

Give us some detail and we'll help.

JC,:)

/ Ford 1900 #4  
What ever you do DO NOT BUY THAT TRACTOR. PARTS ARE SO HIGH YOU CANT AFFORD> A rim for the tracotr is 192.00

/ Ford 1900 #5  
RUN!!!! I owned a 1700. Parts that you could find were incredibly EXPENSIVE!!!!