Tractor Comparable to a Ford 545D

/ Tractor Comparable to a Ford 545D #1  

jgbanshee

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 310SE, JD 4300, JD 5210, JD 450 Crawler, CAT D3B, Ford 2N, Ford 5000 Ford 4000su, Ford 1100
Does New Holland make a TN series tractor that is comparable to the older Ford 545D tractor/loader. I know my 345C is built like a rock and seems that anything I do will not break it. Loader specs and Hp are my number spec to compare, 5000# lift to full height & 60ish Hp.

/ Tractor Comparable to a Ford 545D #2  
No, the TN while an excellent tractor it is not an integrated TLB. It's lift capacity is more in the order of 3000 lbs and any backhoe will be an add-on

Andy

/ Tractor Comparable to a Ford 545D #3  
They do not make a TN version but they do make an industrial tractor/loader, It is the U80 and you will have to find a NH construction dealer to buy it.

U80-001-01_S.jpg

New Holland | Products | Construction Equipment | Tractor Loaders

/ Tractor Comparable to a Ford 545D #4  
Nothing compares to those older Ford/New Holland industrial tractor loaders. They were tanks that will run for decades.

New Holland seems to have abandoned that "skip loader" market for some reason. Officially those machines were cancelled due to the engine emissions. The Case 570L XT / New Holland U80 are being positioned as the replacement, but everybody knows that those machines are much larger and clumsier. I'll bet that the operator's seat is at least 1-foot higher than a 545D.

Hold onto your 345C because there no real replacement.

/ Tractor Comparable to a Ford 545D #5  
EquipmentJunkie said:
Nothing compares to those older Ford/New Holland industrial tractor loaders. They were tanks that will run for decades.

New Holland seems to have abandoned that "skip loader" market for some reason. Officially those machines were cancelled due to the engine emissions. The Case 570L XT / New Holland U80 are being positioned as the replacement, but everybody knows that those machines are much larger and clumsier. I'll bet that the operator's seat is at least 1-foot higher than a 545D.

Hold onto your 345C because there no real replacement.

I am not sure the U80 will be clumsier but the higher seat and sloped hood will greatly improve operator comfort and view making your job a lot easier. I like the old machines still but except for the possible electronic problems the added eletronics pose these new machines are a lot better for the operator. The only disadvantage is if you need a low slung tractor for working in low headroom areas.

There are a lot of the industrial Ford tractor/loaders around this area still and the only New Holland version I have seen is the one the Morton guys use with their pole barns. I think this is because the U80 is a construcion item so the ag dealers can't sell it like the old days. If they could I am sure a lot of people would buy them. I know I would have looked at one when I bought my TN as all I wanted then was a decent tractor for heavy loader use and brush chopping the fields in the summer.

/ Tractor Comparable to a Ford 545D #6  
Morton uses E-series and presumably LB-series TLB chassis less the hoe and has their selling NH dealer ( in the midwest) install the auger & other mods on them. They are pretty trick units. Emissions was not the reason for the cancellation of the 545D. The same engine was emissionized and used in other NH applications for another 5 years before it disappeared.

/ Tractor Comparable to a Ford 545D #7  
I do love the Morton loaders. Every time I see one I think how great that unit would be for putting up fencing as well as pole barns.

/ Tractor Comparable to a Ford 545D #8  
Well, emissions were the reason I was given at the time of the cancellation. Several dealers were singing the same tune. The Basildon-built engines were said to be noncompliant with tightening emission levels. But, this story could have been pure propaganda and who knows what the real reason was.

/ Tractor Comparable to a Ford 545D #9  
EquipmentJunkie said:
Well, emissions were the reason I was given at the time of the cancellation. Several dealers were singing the same tune. The Basildon-built engines were said to be noncompliant with tightening emission levels. But, this story could have been pure propaganda and who knows what the real reason was.

I think it was a lack of market for these machines. NH has the U80 now and that is the only model like this. Between utility tractors, compact loaders, skid loaders and telehandlers these machines have lost a lot of market as the main advantage is the 3pt hitch and with the quick tach features on all these loaders now you can run a variety of implements off the front of the machine now so why keep a full line of industrial tractor loaders with such a limited market.

/ Tractor Comparable to a Ford 545D #10  
I was looking at a few other companies and Deere only has the LE210 Loaders selection and product information available from John Deere which they call a landscape loader

Caterpillar only has the 414E Industrial Loader Caterpillar: Products>Machines

cat.dcs.cmms.servlet.DynamicImageServlet

Case has a couple models, the 570MXT and 570MXT Turbo. You can also get these models with a cab if it matters. CASE | North America / English | Products | Loader/Tool Carriers

570MXT_S.jpg

Kubota has their L series which has a great reputation also.

There really isn't much selection in this category anymore but there are choices still.

The 3pt hitch on the Deere is one beefy setup.