1964 Ford 2000, what do you think

/ 1964 Ford 2000, what do you think #11  
I think that thing is a '69. It appears to be the twin of mine; thought it was mine when I first looked.

It also appears to have the single-stick 4-speed transmission...that's all they offered on the 2000 gasser at the end of the '60s. If it does, you're not going to like the way it's geared. First gear is way too fast. At PTO RPM (1500 engine RPM) in 1st gear it'll be covering the ground at about 3 MPH. That's faster than my L4300 in 3rd gear at PTO RPM. Makes the tractor less than useful when the going gets heavy with a PTO driven implement. If that picture of the hour meter had included a little more of that RPM/groundspeed placard, you could verify this. It is far and away my biggest single gripe with this tractor.

Also, they didn't have power steering....mine certainly doesn't and it could use it. Think it is available as an aftermarket option, however. PTO is transmission type...not live or independent.

The little 158 c.i. 3 banger is a strong, easy running, economical engine. The original Holley updraft carburetor is a little weird and the float valve seat isn't replaceable. Also the Holley is no longer available, so if the float valve starts giving trouble you have to go to a Zenith. You can find them on the web for around $250. I had to go that way and had problems with the Zenith, but they weren't all the carburetor's fault.

$5500 is way too much. $3800 to $4000 as it stands. It doesn't really look like a 1300 hour tractor to me....tire wear is similar to mine with 2300 hours.
FWIW
Bob

P.S. Robert_in_NY: If you want something to rake with, we might want to talk. Planning to put new rear tires and rims on mine and maybe sell it this summer. They do make good raking tractors if your windrows aren't super heavy. Won't be asking any $5500 either.

Last edited:
   / 1964 Ford 2000, what do you think #12  
We have had used a Ford 2000 on our farm for 40+ years. It has over 8000hours on it. It is a perfect tractor for raking. By far the most dependable piece of equipment we have on the farm.

/ 1964 Ford 2000, what do you think #13  
Bob_Young said:
I think that thing is a '69. It appears to be the twin of mine; thought it was mine when I first looked.

It also appears to have the single-stick 4-speed transmission...that's all they offered on the 2000 gasser at the end of the '60s. If it does, you're not going to like the way it's geared. First gear is way too fast. At PTO RPM (1500 engine RPM) in 1st gear it'll be covering the ground at about 3 MPH. That's faster than my L4300 in 3rd gear at PTO RPM. Makes the tractor less than useful when the going gets heavy with a PTO driven implement. If that picture of the hour meter had included a little more of that RPM/groundspeed placard, you could verify this. It is far and away my biggest single gripe with this tractor.

Also, they didn't have power steering....mine certainly doesn't and it could use it. Think it is available as an aftermarket option, however. PTO is transmission type...not live or independent.

The little 158 c.i. 3 banger is a strong, easy running, economical engine. The original Holley updraft carburetor is a little weird and the float valve seat isn't replaceable. Also the Holley is no longer available, so if the float valve starts giving trouble you have to go to a Zenith. You can find them on the web for around $250. I had to go that way and had problems with the Zenith, but they weren't all the carburetor's fault.

$5500 is way too much. $3800 to $4000 as it stands. It doesn't really look like a 1300 hour tractor to me....tire wear is similar to mine with 2300 hours.
FWIW
Bob

P.S. Robert_in_NY: If you want something to rake with, we might want to talk. Planning to put new rear tires and rims on mine and maybe sell it this summer. They do make good raking tractors if your windrows aren't super heavy. Won't be asking any $5500 either.
For what it is worth, 3 cylinder 2000's had a minimum of 4 transmission/PTO options including one with live PTO. And power steering was a factory option.

/ 1964 Ford 2000, what do you think #14  
Bob_Young said:

I thank you for the offer but which ever tractor I get needs to have power steering. My fields are irregular and require the raking operator to stay on top of things or things get messed up. My main helper gets tired running my Ford 640 and has requested a newer tractor if I can find a decent unit.

/ 1964 Ford 2000, what do you think #15  
Send the 640 to florida for a vacation if ya repalce it!

soundguy

/ 1964 Ford 2000, what do you think #16  
You know I have thought about that Chris. I would love to keep it but if the right offer comes along then so be it. I was offered $3k for the 640 if I traded it in but I will no longer deal with that dealership so who knows what is in store for the 640. It is a handy little tractor and you can never have too many handy tractors;)

I just need a more refined tractor to keep my helpers happy.

/ 1964 Ford 2000, what do you think #17  
Ah.. then you need a 661 or 861.. one with option power steering, the 5spd trans, and live pto!!

soundguy

/ 1964 Ford 2000, what do you think #18  
More or less. It is just a raking/tedding tractor so it doesn't need to be complicated. I would like a diesel so I can stop bringing gas cans to the field and since there is no hurry right now I can keep looking for something to pop up. I do use the 1920 from time to time but that tractor rides very rough and has that stupid curtis cab on it which limits the air flow thru the operators station.

/ 1964 Ford 2000, what do you think #19  
Deffinately an 861-D then!!

soundguy

/ 1964 Ford 2000, what do you think #20  
I saw 2 Ford 2000's on Ebay. They might be worth looking into if anyone is close by to where their being sold. Here are the auction #s.