Buying Advice Horse farm tractor advice

/ Horse farm tractor advice #1  

kiwiroo

Tractor
3520 cab(not here yet :( )
I'm looking at tractors again for our 30 acre horse training facility, primarily it will be used to drag a couple large arenas daily, cut the pastures, and do misc things like dig post holes and a little bit of FEL work and general property maintenance.
I've been looking at the TT60 but have also been considering the TC30 or similar size just for the cost savings, but I also want to get a tractor I will be happy with.

- Are there big differences between the economy(TC30) and boomer compact like the TC29 or similar other than the plastic versus metal ;) ?

- Is it worth going ahead and spending the 5 or so thousand to get to the TT60? The arenas are sand so I wasn't sure if the larger tractor would be more durable in general- I know someone that had front axle issues with a smaller John Deere that did similar work.

Any advice appreciated!

/ Horse farm tractor advice #2  
I would have to recommed staying with the TT60, or other brand equivalent. I'm not sure that compacts are heavy enough to tackle the 1200lbs round bales, and maybe handle haying equipment should the need arise. I have 3010S NH, the precursor to the TT60, and found that it is the bare minimum for haying operations. With hay prices rising I wouldn't rule out any horse operation from getting deeper into haying operations to control costs. Some horse people don't like round bales, but in my area of south Alabama they are finding small squares are too pricey. So, some are now finding themselves out gunned with compact tractors versus big 'ol round bales. One poster on another forum indicated the TT60 was junk. I like my 3010S, and some issues with all the safety switches at one point, or another. All in all the engine is strong, and when weighted properly can handle FEL duties well. If you go with a two wheel drive model for FEL work you need to increase the size of the front tires. I took my 3010S from 7.5X16 to 10X16's to get the flotation under the weight, so the tractor could move. Small fronts on 2 wheel FEL equiped tractors seriously handicaps their performance.

/ Horse farm tractor advice #3  
kiwiroo said:
I'm looking at tractors again for our 30 acre horse training facility, primarily it will be used to drag a couple large arenas daily, cut the pastures, and do misc things like dig post holes and a little bit of FEL work and general property maintenance.
The TC30 and a TC29 can do all of the chores you mentioned. However, how many acres of pasture will you be cutting? Just cutting with a rotary mower or is this a haying operation? Your profile is empty, so we don't know where you live, but if it's a lot of pasture acres, you're probably going to want a cab. If it's a haying operation, get something bigger than a TC29/30.

/ Horse farm tractor advice #4  
If I had a choice and could afford the extra money, I'd sure go for the TT60. If it were a choice between the TC30 or TC29 with 4WD and a 2WD TT60, then I'd have to think about it. I love the TT models for their simple elegance and functionality. If you need maneuverablity more that power, you might consider the smaller tractor. If you are going to work the tractor hard in the fields and pastures, then I'd pay the extra for the TT60. Because you have over 10 acres, I think the TT60 is the best fit.

/ Horse farm tractor advice
Thanks for all the info!
Mike- I'm out west in Oregon, and it will be just cutting with a rotary not a haying operation, we're still laying out the property but probably to start 5 acres up to maybe 10 of pasture, that's not counting just misc grass around the property.
7 acres of the property is blueberries now which would be the only advantage of the smaller tractor to be able to mow that, but currently I have someone taking care of it for me. I suppose if I go the TT60 route that is an excuse later to get a smaller tractor as well :D
It looks like on the website the TC30 and the compact boomers like the TC29 can be equipped pretty similarly, is there a big difference between the economy and compact line? I just find it interesting they overlap the lines with such similar models.

/ Horse farm tractor advice #6  
The TC30 was supposed to be a bare bones, old style compact tractor without the curved loader with the better operator platform, etc. of the Boomer line.

We have a horse barn with 12 foot wide aisles and my TC25D fits OK, even with the ROPS up. I still have to be careful though. I can pull the tractor up to the stall door with the FEL right at the doorway. Shovel the dirty bedding into the bucket, pull out of the barn and dump it. We have 12 x 12 stalls and even with a pretty dirty stall, it doesn't take more than 2 FEL-fulls to clean a stall, typically only on FEL-full. We have about 5 acres of pasture which I have to cut once or twice a year with my 5 foot rotary mower. Takes me about 3 hours.

/ Horse farm tractor advice #7  
kiwiroo said:
It looks like on the website the TC30 and the compact boomers like the TC29 can be equipped pretty similarly, is there a big difference between the economy and compact line? I just find it interesting they overlap the lines with such similar models.

Mike covered most of the main points. Just one more I think you may find helpful. The newer TC29s might have the 14LA loader instead of the 7308 of the TC30 and older TC29s. The 14LA should have about 350-400 lb more lift. I think you will find the TC29DA model tractors to have several enhanced features over the TC30. I surely don't know them all off the top of my head, but I think the TC30 HST model has cruise control as an option whereas the TC29DA HST model would have that as standard. The seat would also be nicer on the TC29.The best way is to go look at them on a dealers lot and compare features. Of course, that goes for any tractor buying decision.

/ Horse farm tractor advice #8  
I know that everyone says go for the TT line yet I would say maybe look elsewhere..other than the TT...maybe the TN (used if $$$ is a concern, isnt is always) or another brand - my reasoning -
transmission 8x2 is standard on the TT and the TT uses a "bull gear" axle for the rear instead of a planetary axle which is what you would be more used to seeing (walk behind a TT and you will see what I am talking about)...I almost bought a used TT60 4wd and didnt know they were set up like that until i got there to look at it...it may last forever but if it was the best way to build them, they all would be building them that way (the TN has a rear planetary axle)...TT owners will say they last forever - and planetary axles CAN go out at any time - just food for thought - maybe take it up with someone who doesn't have a dog in the fight and see what they can tell you

lastly - coming from someone who has drug arenas before and baled hay...my little opinion is that anything less than 45-60 hp and you will be itching for more power in weeks - you will be able to manage with the slightly bigger tractor around the barn since it may not turn as well - and it will compensate by being able to move more shavings, dirt, pick up the tree that fell down (without #$%# ballast or couterweight, pull a bushhog bigger than 6 ft if ever needed, and the list goes on...yet the smaller tractors cost the same or more than the bigger ones b/c they have cup holders - go figure (supply and demand) I say find a couple of both sizes, drive 'em, and pick the size you like and then start "shopping"
and sincerely good luck!!!

/ Horse farm tractor advice #9  
You could always get a smaller skid steer later for barn work, or a Power Trac type unit. Older skid steers aren't too bad money wise.

/ Horse farm tractor advice #10  
Mojo beat me too it.

I lent my buddy who has horses and the barns, sheds, rings etc. that go with them, my SS last weekend, He was very happy with what he was able to do in and around the barns.

He runs an older Ford 4XXX something or another (sorry, I just dont remember exactly) and if you have to start with just 1, start with the big one. You can do the inside stuff and the tight stuff by hand till you get frustrated enough to buy the smaller piece :D

Those drags and pulverisers and stuff they use on the arena just suck up power. I have pulled the pulveriser that he has and is ecstatic about behind my NH 1925 (33 horse) and just could not efficiently do it (that is why he now owns it :) )

And I know nothing of your hay etc. out there, but my experience with round bales here is you want every bit of size and HP you can to comfortably take those things off trucks.

The other things I would highly reccomend, is get the quick change front end of whatever flavor you like. I would reccomend a bobcat compatible or whatever the trade name is, but I know when working around the farm on some days, the front never gets touched, and on others, it is bucket, forks, bale spear, forks, bucket, you get the point.