Price Check 2120 price and price of clutch repair/parts

/ 2120 price and price of clutch repair/parts #1  

Hondo1

Tractor
YM1300D
I have found a Ford N/H 2120 with over 6,000 hrs. It appears to run smooth and quiet. It was a golf course tractor. The only problem tha I could make out right away was the lack of a clutch.

The dealer wants $5495 for the tractor as it sits. He claims the clutch repair is $2,000. I am mechanically capable but he claims parts are in the $750-1,000 range. Is this accurate? and how big a job is it (hour wise)? do you have to split the tractor?

Thanks for your help in aadvanc

/ 2120 price and price of clutch repair/parts
No one?

Oh yeah it is a 12x4 Transmission

Hondo

/ 2120 price and price of clutch repair/parts #4  
Dont know the exact answers BUT I think price will depend on whether you have a wet clutch or not. Ive found the parts guys are a good help b/c they can (usually) tell you what parts are needed + price. However, I think youll want the service manual before diving into this...I would b/c Ive never done one. I strongly suspect the answer is 'yes' to splitting the thing. I cant see any other way of removing the bits w/o doing that. Bottomline if you have to spring for parts + service manuals your costs might be very close to the one quoted you. I think Id ask more questions of the service manager, what hed replace, whats wrong w/ the machine etc to get a better feel for where to go from here. Also visit the parts guys.

/ 2120 price and price of clutch repair/parts #5  
The 2120 is a dual dry clutch. I had one replace about 10 years ago for $1600 so I think $2000 sounds about right.

BTW The 2120 is one of Fords best tractors and you will love it.

Andy

/ 2120 price and price of clutch repair/parts #6  
If you want the tractor, give him the extra $2K, tell him to fix the clutch and stand behind it when it leaves the shop. If you need to ask if the tractor needs to be split to replace the clutch, you are at the bottom of the learning curve and the tuition may well amount to more than the $2K. To me, it seems like a lot of money for a 6000 hour 2120 that presumably has no loader and probably has turf tires which not a lot of folks want in a tractor that size.

Thanks guys,

Rick, I would be at the bottom of the learning curve but if I have a shop manual and the right parts there is not too much I can't fix. I just replaced the ball joints, axle shaft ujoints and tie rod ends on my 4x4 Cummins Turbo Diesel. There is a job I never did before. Hope I don't have to do it again.
Anyway right now I am working out them fixing it and putting Ag tires on it and maybe another thing or two. If we get the price right I may go for it. I sure would like a loader for it but they want as much as the tractor for a loader. Not gonna do that on a 6000 hour machine.

If they won't do it for the price I want I'll just wait.

/ 2120 price and price of clutch repair/parts #8  
Hope I didn't offend you, that was not my intention. A clutch job is not rocket science, but can be daunting for someone with few mechanical skills and tooling. There is an opportunity to save a few bucks if you are game and have basic (metric) hand tools and proper jacking/blocking equipment. Technical info is out there at varying prices.

No offense taken. One thing that I have learned is that sometimes it is better to let someone who has done it before do it. Right now I am learning about fixing my Mercruiser sterndrive. The tractor would be financed anyway so let them fix it if I can get it done for the right price. Seems as though the parts alone will be expensive enough. Now If I can find a used loader somewhere and figure out hw to plumb it.

I am a little worried about 6,000 hours but it started up and ran smooth.

Hondo

/ 2120 price and price of clutch repair/parts #10  
Best thing you can do for a valve (IMHO) is find a New Holland (Ford) two spool loader control valve kit to power whatever loader you find. I may be able to help with that if you get that far along.