Ford 340 Industrial?

/ Ford 340 Industrial? #1  

Matt in TN

I'm looking at a Ford 340 "Industrial" diesel model with a front-end loader. It has power steering, PTO, and 3-point hitch, locking differential, and foot throttle (in addition to the hand throttle). I don't know what year it was made - the dealer said "probably in the 70's." I drove it today and everything seems to work fine - loader is strong, brakes work, PTO engages/disengages fine. The rear tires are 90% but the front tires probably will need replacing soon. The hydraulics don't leak, but several hoses will probably need to be replaced soon (dry rotted - about half of the hoses have already been replaced and looked great).

The only thing I see that's missing is a rear hydraulic remote attachment, but I'm having trouble imagining what I might need one of those for. I'm fairly new to tractors so feel free to tell me what I'm missing.

They want $5,000 for it - is that a fair price? Is there anything I should look out for?

/ Ford 340 Industrial? #2  
340's were built from March '79 through Sept of 1981. Pretty much a light industrial front axle, 3600 engine, and 4600 rear axle/hydrailic/brake system. A buddy of mine just bought an exceptionally clean one with loader showing 1200 hours (which is probably correct within a thousand or so) for $8200 with a small Kelly backhoe attached. He has had it a couple weeks and is thrilled. He loves the 6x4 transmission for loader work.

/ Ford 340 Industrial?
Thanks - that's the best information I've seen yet! This one has a 4x2 transmission (I think that's how you say it). Two forwards and two reverses, with a high and low. I wouldn't call this one "exceptionally clean", but it seems solid.