Is 1710 sufficient for what I need?

/ Is 1710 sufficient for what I need? #11  
jbrumberg said:
Sooner or later JC-Jetro will jump in; Jay

Here I am:D , morning Jay,:)

Asylum, I'll give you my two cents, I don't live on my property, I don't maintain a road, no snow removal but do the rest of the stuff you mentioned. I find 1700 or 1710 are both capable of doing your intended tasks for the size of your property. I use the example of Bugs Bunny and that tortes, with all the speed Bugsy had he still ended up not finishing the task before the tortes. Now 1710 with a live pto, loader and FWA is by far more capable of my 1700 without them. All being relative, I'll be tickled pink to have a 1710 rigged up like yours over what I have. I still get my stuff done but like always have to "earn it". Again, "big is not always better", 1710 is a prefect size to get in to really some tight areas to work where a bigger tractor would be totally out of question. All and all, it'll take you a bit longer to do the work but you'll get it done. 2120 is one heck of a machine but @ $14000 I certainly look toward a brand new rig of whatever flavor and color that suits me, and I'd know that it will last me a life time since I'll be maintaining it. By the way, you did not mention if 2120 comes with a loader or not, without it and it ain't a good deal. Finally, if the 1710 is in a good shape as you say it is, low hrs ,loader and FWA, I know you'll be able to sell it in a few years (with learning curve and associated experience under your belt) with no to a little loss because those little Ford tractor do keep their values. You'll have a lot more to do in the first couple of years, but when you got most of the major stuff done you'll hit the " steady state" and that does not take as much work to keep.

JC,

Last edited:
   / Is 1710 sufficient for what I need? #12  
JC-jetro said:
Again, "big is not always better", 1710 is a prefect size to get in to really some tight areas to work where a bigger tractor would be totally out of question. All and all, it'll take you a bit longer to do the work but you'll get it done. 2120 is one heck of a machine but @ $14000 I certainly look toward a brand new rig of whatever flavor and color that suits me, and I'd know that it will last me a life time since I'll be maintaining it. By the way, you did not mention if 2120 come with a loader or not, without it and it ain't a good deal. Finally, if the 1710 is in a good shape as you say it is, low hrs and a loader, I know you'll be able to sell it in a few years (learning curve) with no to a little loss because those little Ford tractor do keep their values. You'll have a lot more to do in the first couple of years, but when you got most of the major stuff done you'll hit the " steady state" and that does not take as much work to keep.

JC,

Having had both a 1710 and a 2120, hey'll both do many of your jobs. The 2120 is also very manuverable. You will not find a new 2120 class machine for anywhere near $14,000,
The loader capacity of the 2120 is at least twice that of the 1710. Having had and driven many compacts and full size tractors, the 2120 due to it's frame size is the smallest tractor that acts and feels like a full size tractor.

Andy

/ Is 1710 sufficient for what I need? #13  
I really enjoyed my 1986 1710. I have 9 acres, 1100 foot long driveway that is very steep. I ran a Howse 5 foot brush hog and a 5 foot meteor snow blower on it with out issues. Parts were the driving issue in me selling it. If I was a little more of a wrench it would not be an issue. Feel free to PM me if you have ????

Jim

/ Is 1710 sufficient for what I need? #14  
I had a '83 1710 for close to ten years, finally deciding to move up to a bigger tractor last summer. Mine had loaded turfs (unstoppable with chains in winter), easily handled a 5' Brush Bandit and even managed a 6' rear blower one winter. My wife bought a Woods 6 1/2' 3 pt backhoe with a PTO-driven hydraulic pump, and I managed to do culvert excavation, dig out the occasional stump and do other projects for the neighbors. I was careful with the hoe as I didn't have the frame mount, but it would still loosen up case bolts now and then.

I would recommend testing the hydaulic system output before purchasing. Mine was putting out about 1900 psi max when spec is just over 2100 psi. Pumps are $700+. The other problem area I had was top case cover gaskets - if they are not in good condition, rain water can enter and dilute the hydraulic fluid. I actually had the fluid freeze one winter night, and I had to back it into the garage dragging the loader and thaw it out with a gas heater before fixing the gaskets and changing fluid.

/ Is 1710 sufficient for what I need?
Thanks for all the feedback. I decided to go get the tractor. Am getting it tomorrow for $7300 (tractor, FEL, finish mower, and extra set of wheels/turf tires). Hoping all is good!

I read somewhere that the injector pump needs oil and it should be replaced. Where do I do that and what do I use? Is it part of the oiling system?

next purchase is a manual.

/ Is 1710 sufficient for what I need? #16  
asylum said:
Thanks for all the feedback. I decided to go get the tractor. Am getting it tomorrow for $7300 (tractor, FEL, finish mower, and extra set of wheels/turf tires). Hoping all is good!

I read somewhere that the injector pump needs oil and it should be replaced. Where do I do that and what do I use? Is it part of the oiling system?

next purchase is a manual.

Not a bad price. It'll be nice. Look at the links below for the injector oil change. I have one extra link for your reading pressure.

JC,

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/nh-buying-pricing/84052-injector-pump-oil.html

Bunch of good info here, not all may apply to you

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/nh-owning-operating/90819-my-f-1700-testing-my.html

/ Is 1710 sufficient for what I need? #17  
Enjoy, you'll love it. They are good machines.

Andy

Thanks for all the information. I am getting ready to go get this tractor. It is about 100 miles from here. On the way back I am stopping to pick up a box blade and a tooth bar. I have plans to put it to work already. I might pick up a rake too. As for the oil change, I think i will change the oil before doing anything. Not sure what to use so i will ask the dealer when I get there.

I'll try to post pics at a later time.

/ Is 1710 sufficient for what I need? #19  
Asylum:

BTW welcome to TBN and the Blue Form :D! The 1710's IMHO are solid tanks. They have a lot of metal where my
"29" has plastic. I really had difficulty choosing a box blade 60" vs 72". I finally went 60", but I probably could have gone with the "72". Jay

The people I bought the tractor from had a 72" box blade they would have sold to me for $300, but I figured a 5' would be better. I bought a new one from a dealer today for $350.

My toothbar is on order.

I'm ready to work now!