Is 1710 sufficient for what I need?

/ Is 1710 sufficient for what I need? #1  

asylum

I posted questions about the price of a 1710 earlier, but now I am wondering if it will handle my needs. I just called a dealer and he told me it wouldn't and I need the 2120 he has. I'm untrusting of dealers. I trust the opinions of you all so here is what I need a tractor for.

I have 9 acres of land. My house sits 800 feet up the driveway from the road. The entire piece of land is on a side of a hill (not steep, more like a rolling hill). 90% of it is brush, thorns, trees, ect. I want to use the tractor for some landscaping, driveway maintenance, and mainly to clear alot of brush, thorns, firewood, etc. The dealer said the 1710 won't be sufficient. What do you all say? Again this in on the side of a hill and also, I need to move some big rocks that is all around my property.

Thanks in advance.

/ Is 1710 sufficient for what I need? #2  
asylum said:
I posted questions about the price of a 1710 earlier, but now I am wondering if it will handle my needs. I just called a dealer and he told me it wouldn't and I need the 2120 he has. I'm untrusting of dealers. I trust the opinions of you all so here is what I need a tractor for.

I have 9 acres of land. My house sits 800 feet up the driveway from the road. The entire piece of land is on a side of a hill (not steep, more like a rolling hill). 90% of it is brush, thorns, trees, ect. I want to use the tractor for some landscaping, driveway maintenance, and mainly to clear alot of brush, thorns, firewood, etc. The dealer said the 1710 won't be sufficient. What do you all say? Again this in on the side of a hill and also, I need to move some big rocks that is all around my property.

Thanks in advance.

Funny you should ask. I had a 1710 for quite a few years before upgrading to a 2120. I got the 2120 in 1987 and it still runs great. The 2120 is a lot more tractor than the 1710 and can move much larger rocks. It is also much more stable. I run all 8 foor implements on the 2120, box blade, york rake, rear blade etc. It handles them well. If I had a choice and I did , I would go with the 2120. Nothing wrong with the 1710, but the 2120 is just so much more.

Andy

/ Is 1710 sufficient for what I need?
Oh, I should mention the difference between the two is about $6500.

The 1710 is $7500 with a extra set of turf tires and finish mower (1400 hrs)

The 2120 is $14000 with no implements. (About 1000 hrs)

Again, is it really worth the difference. The lower price fits my needs more in terms of price, but if it won't fit my needs, then it is worthless.

/ Is 1710 sufficient for what I need? #4  
asylum said:
Oh, I should mention the difference between the two is about $6500.

The 1710 is $7500 with a extra set of turf tires and finish mower (1400 hrs)

The 2120 is $14000 with no implements. (About 1000 hrs)

Again, is it really worth the difference. The lower price fits my needs more in terms of price, but if it won't fit my needs, then it is worthless.

I've been making due with a 'smaller than I need tractor" for a couple years. Even though it weights a mere 2050lbs, (just a touch less than a 1710) I've been able to do much not all perhaps, but enough to make it a very worth while purchase. One thing though get a loader! or get a tractor with a loader...I'm always on the look out for a good deal these days so I keep an eye on craigslist, ebay, etc. I've seen several good tractors in the 2000 to 2500 pound range (20-30 hp) with exceptable hours and new enough to have a standard ROPS with a FEL for $8000-10000.00
Is my tractor perfect for my needs?. no..
Am I happy with it all things considered?..yes.
Could I sell it for what I have in it? .. very possible. then buy a larger tractor later

For less than the $14000 the 2120 costs I have a 25hp 4wd tractor, a loader, and a small backhoe attachment, (The backhoe was added over a year ago, great for trenching and other various hole digging needs:D )

Moral of the story, look around, be prepared to jump on a good deal, and a smaller tractor is still loads better then a shovel and wheel barrow.;) and think loader for rock moving.

Tim,

Thanks for the advice. yes, this 1710 has a loader. Believe it or not, but I've been looking for a good deal on a tractor for about 7 months now. But the time has come to where I really need one. This 1710 doesn't have ROPES or HST, so I have to take what I'm paying for. Since I just moved to PA from TX, I am little strapped on cash. I bought this house and family are still in a house in TX, so I would love to have a $15k tractor, but it is hard to make that commitment. I suppose I can with payments, but I hate to have that bill to worry about. Oh, i would also love a backhoe. I do have a need for it with all the spring water I have running out of the ground around here. I need to redirect the water.

Thanks again!

/ Is 1710 sufficient for what I need? #6  
What is the engine hp of the 1710? Tractordata.com did not list the engine but had the PTO at about 24 and drawbar at about 20. Do you plan on getting a brush cutter or any other impliments? Is it 2wd or 4wd?

Chris

it is a 4x4 and yes, I do want a brush hog. It comes with a finish mower. I also need a rake and a box blade. Should I get a 5 foot or will it handle a 6 foot?

/ Is 1710 sufficient for what I need? #8  
Sooner or later JC-Jetro will jump in; I believe he has a 1710. The 1710 is similar to my NH TC29DA performance-wise. I have had no real problems managing my 12.5A's with my "29" and I have moved some fairly large rocks on my property. I would advise getting a toothbar for your FEL bucket- it makes dirt and stone work a lot easier. I attached a thumbnail of one of the rocks I have dug out and moved. I tend to use 60" attachments. Jay

Attachments

• DSC00609 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00609 (Medium).JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 151
That looks to be about the size of a lot of rock around here. The bigger stuff will stay where it sits. Of course the 1710 doesn't look as pretty as your NH, but hoping it will do just as good.

/ Is 1710 sufficient for what I need? #10  
I have a 1710 but bought back in November and am now just getting to use it. 5 foot attachments covers my wheel tracks. The tractor seems to have good power. I pulled a 5 foot field cultivator and with the use of the 4wd I pulled it pretty deep so I think you could handle a 6 ft box blade. It will handle all attachments you want to use. I do not know about a backhoe though I'm not all that sure of the hydraulic pump capabilities or the stress that puts on the tractor I'm sure it was not designed with those kind of stresses in mind. The front and back ends are joined together with bolts. (backhoes do a lot prying and trying to lift the front wheels off the ground putting pressure on the connection between the back and front)

With that said I haven't dug any rocks or tree stumps so I cant help you there. I'm confident that with the right ballast on the back it could lift the stumps from the ground once the roots were cut away.