Buying a new mowing deck

/ Buying a new mowing deck #1  

sherpa

Platinum Member
Tractor
2004 NH TC33D & 2014 NH Boomer 24
I own a TC33D and just sign a mowing contract.
There must be at least 3-5 acres to mow with obstacles.
I need to upgrade my mowing deck, I have a 4 foot rear finish now.
Here are the 3 options I have thought about:

1-New rear finish mower brand & size undetermined?
2-New mid-mount mower size & brand undetermined?
3-Buy a new mowing machine of some kind undetermined?

What would you do?
What are the advantages of mid mount over rear or rear over mid mount?
sherpa

/ Buying a new mowing deck #2  
I'll throw you my two cents on this one. Used to have a TC33D and moved up to a TC40DA because I needed a little more power and, wanted a cab.

Anyway, the answer is certainly one of preference. I don't prefer midmount underbelly mowers for a few reasons, one of which is the loss of clearance during other jobs and my laziness for never wanting to detach it. Also, much harder to clean the bottom and service the blades.

I currently own a LandPride 72 inch rear finish and after reading all of the posts on the forum about flail mowers, I'm currently searching for one as I think that is how I want to go. I really want one that is offset so I can get closer to fences and under overhanging tree lines with ease.

Certianly, the fastest way to do that size property is a Z mower, but no matter how you look at it, the investment is going to be much larger than upgrading your mower deck. Plus, now you have another engine to maintain. Thus, you really have to balance the cost vs. time issue for yourself.

Anyway, hope these thoughts help. I'm sure others will chime in with some great info.

/ Buying a new mowing deck
Thanks Paul,
I am leaning toward a 6 foot rear finish mower.

I would think a MMM would need some additional hardware added to my tractor?

Plus I would think the mmm would cause problems loading the tractor on my trailer for transport, I dont know?

I want to hear what others have to say?
sherpa

/ Buying a new mowing deck #4  
sherpa:

I just pulled out some old NH marketing material and according to NH you can run a 72" 930B rear finishing mower and/or a 918H 71" flail mower. I have never owned a finishing mower but like a rotary cutter a finishing mower appears easier to remove than a mid mount mower, allows for greater ground clearance, greater range in cutting heights, and with HST you can easily back up and under low hanging branches when cutting, etc. Jay

jbrumberg said:
sherpa: with HST you can easily back up and under low hanging branches when cutting, etc. Jay

Jay,
Thats a good point, there are some trees with low branches.
sherpa

/ Buying a new mowing deck #6  
sherpa:

Do the "D" series have the same "breakaway" hazard lights as the "DA" series? If you do they are really easy to re-attach (you do not have to ask how I know this :rolleyes:). Jay :D

Jay,
I am not sure, never had that problem!
Sherpa

/ Buying a new mowing deck #8  
Sherpa:

Hopefully you will not have to find out. Those lower branches have a way of blindsiding you sometimes :mad:. You should see what happened to the offending tree :cool:. Jay :D

/ Buying a new mowing deck #9  
My first reaction to the first post was a zero turn mower. They are fast and, if there are obstacles, they manuever so well around the stuff.

/ Buying a new mowing deck #10  
i love my 72" MMM

i can cover a LOT of ground with it in a hury. It mows like a rideing lawnmower, my smallest diameter circle i can mow is about 3'.

When cutting this time of year, when becuase of how wet it is, the grass grows 3" before it dries out enough when i can mow, i need to run at 2200 or better not to bog down at top speed in range 2.

IN summer when im knocking down weeds on a hard ground, i can blow past ya in range 3.

I really like the MMM design because i feel the mower deck is better supported and allowed to float more with the tractor carrying a majority of the deck weight if your mowing at the right 3pt height.