Advice-needing to upgrade

/ Advice-needing to upgrade #1  

artp

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kioti CK30HST
I am looking at needing to replace Dad's Ford 1210. Dad bought it new over 20 years ago and served him well for very light duty. It has about 430 hr on it and is in good shape. I have been using it with a 48 inch mower to cut about 3-4 acres of open pasture and I plan on needing to cut an addition 4 acre plot in the near future. It does OK, but is somewhat under powered when going thru tall & thick weeds. I also use it to prepare a fair sized garden as he has a tiller and sub-soiler attachments. I am looking to upgrade & wanted to get input from NH owners for advice about what model might be right for my needs. They only other thing I would really like is the ability to put a front end blade on the tractor. The rear blade with the Ford is OK, but I really prefer a blade up front. Dad's old Farmall Cub used to work great, but unfortunately it is not running and would take a lot to get it back & going.

If I was to sell or trade in the 1210 what could I expect to get for it?

Thanks for your advice.

/ Advice-needing to upgrade #2  
I'd guess something in the 24-30hp range would suit you fine.

Do you truly ONLY want a front dozer blade.. or do you want a fel with a blade attachment?

Perhaps a tc29.. etc.. or something along that line.

A 1210 probably has a sales value in the 2000$ range... probably less for trade.. unless they just give you a made up inflated number and apply the negative equity to the loan.. etc..

Soundguy

/ Advice-needing to upgrade
Thanks, Soundguy. I have never operated a fel so I have no experience. I could see it coming in handy as we had to have dirt, rocks,ect moved before. I have a long rock driveway to maintain so I was originally concentrating on a front blade. You mentioned a TC29. I was looking on NH website and did not see that model. As I am new to the market could you relate that to the other current models available for NH? Other mfg comparable? Price range for a package with fel and blade? What would you recommend for a mower upgrade from my 48 inch? Sorry for so many questions, but I want to match my needs with the right sized & priced equipment.

/ Advice-needing to upgrade #4  
For prices, which are very seasonal, and regional, you will need to contact a dealer in your area, and see what mahcines he has on his lot. A 'new' last years model.. or a low hours trade may be your best bang for the buck.. and still possibly have a warranty..

CNH has quite a few models.. they went with a 24, 26, 29, 30, 33 35.. etc.. all depends on what year.. etc.

soundguy

/ Advice-needing to upgrade #5  
Forgot to add... preferably.. you would get a machine that would let you move to a 5' mowing rear deck.

soundguy

/ Advice-needing to upgrade
Thanks. I got lots of homework to do. Will post more when I get the selection narrowed down. I really appreciate all the posts on this board.

/ Advice-needing to upgrade #7  
artp:

Welcome to TBN and the Blue Forum :D! The NH TC29D/A is now the TC31D/A. They are NH's Class II size frame. No other manufacturer "classes" their tractors. I consider the "29" to be mid-size frame CUT tractor. I am very happy with mine. My signature shows the attachments I use on mine. Whatever tractor you finally acquire I highly recommend getting a FEL and toothbar. Jay :)

/ Advice-needing to upgrade #8  
Mine is the red version of the same machine, the Case DX29. Case and New Holland have many machines with only cosmetic differences. Look at the numbers to see which is which. I am pleased with my DX, but if I was doing more serious ground engaging work or running a mower on my hills, I would probably have gotten the 33, which is now the 35, I think.

There are 29, 31, 33, 34, and 35s (I think) in the same size, depending on the year. Basically, each year offered two size engines and your choice of a standard or hydro transmission. The ergonomics and such are great on all of them. Look for hydraulic lines that have metal at the bends near the radiator -- the hose ones tend to cause problems and need to be replaced. Other than that, the machines are pretty much free of issues.