ford 1920 buy or not to buy?

/ ford 1920 buy or not to buy? #1  

bcbud

First post.... great site!!!

1920 with 4300 hrs, ford loader, 12-4 gear tranny, clutch professionally done last year, tires, brakes, and tin all in good shape.

My question is..... any major concerns to look for?

Thanks.

/ ford 1920 buy or not to buy? #2  
That's a lot of hours. How much are they asking and where are you?

You know that having been born and raised in British Columbia, Canada (the indoor pot grow-op capital of North America) you may get a few jokes about the name "BC Bud"! ;)

/ ford 1920 buy or not to buy? #3  
Pound for pound, and dollar for dollar, the 1920 and 1720 are two of the best compact tractors ever placed on the market. A recent clutch is a big plus. If this tractor is priced according to its hours and condition, go for it.

/ ford 1920 buy or not to buy?
What they sell/grow pot in BC?

The 1920 is very clean and looks to be well cared for the only down fall so far is that each rear tire is a different brand. The bottom price is $9K CAD.

The old rule of thumb where I live is 5000 hours in when a machine goes to pasture and hobby farmers get a hold of them. I have been looking for a long time, and any 30+HP tractor I have found are over priced for my budget. This seems to be good bang for the buck in my region.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks for the replies!

I'm replacing a Ford 1110 which works great.

/ ford 1920 buy or not to buy? #5  
4300hrs seems a lot for $9K though not sure of the exchange rate right now. I recently traded in a F1520 (23HP) for $8.5K US for reference, it had 440 hrs. As far as what to look for, start with the basics, check the tires for wear, engage the clutch listen for funny noises, engine for leaks, radiator for clear fluid, hydraulics for leaks and a full fluid reservoir, check steering at full rotation, does it chatter, or does the belt squeal, check the engine oil is the level full and does the oil smell burned. Check the engine compartment for dirt and streaks of oil or blow by. If it has a loader, check the areas where the seals meet the pistons for leaks or built up diirt. Make sure the PTO engages and runs without noise, chatter or leaks. Start with all this and if it passes the test, talk the guy down 25% just based on the hours. Good luck.

/ ford 1920 buy or not to buy? #6  
I love the old Fords but I think it's too much $$$$ for the hours on the machine. Just my opinion. Look around in that price range and i'm sure there are a lot of much lower hour tractors out there in that price range. Don't get overwhelmed and make a good decision..

/ ford 1920 buy or not to buy? #7  
I as well think the engine hrs are too much for the asking price. You may have an overhaul job awaiting you. The hours may not be too much for a full size AG but not for compact class. I think around $7000 is more like it. I paid $3100 for 1700 with 900 hrs and always garaged, although we're not comparing apples as 1920 is heck of lot more tractor than 1700 in several different areas..

JC,

Last edited:
   / ford 1920 buy or not to buy? #8  
In soutwest Louisiana some 8n's don't have 4300 hours on them. They must shovel lots of snow up there. Every snow bird I meet down here swears the heat is better than shoveling snow. Be sure and check the air filter and the hose at the intake manifold for dirt.

Thanks for the input. I have been struggling with a value amount. This tractor is cheap for our region. I have been watching for a long time and have not seen a used 30+HP 4x4 in this price range.

compared to new

New: Kioti 25 HP (gear/loader) $20K
Kubota BX24(loader/backhoe) $18K

It seems like a fair deal compared to these new prices. I will sleep on it and look at it VERY closely for issues.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the help,all checks were positive.

Bought it for $7350 delivered to my place. Less than 200 hours on new clutch, full tune up, and all new fluids.

Cheers.