Ford 4630 w/Snowblower

/ Ford 4630 w/Snowblower #1  

bluegoose1989

I've been keeping my eye on a 1991 Ford 4630 MFWD listed locally (now) for about $6900.00 The guy originally started out asking 14K and has steadily dropped his price. The only attachment with the machine is a double augered snowblower - no loader (and it's not loader ready).

The tach shows 5700 hours - but the guy explains that he purchased the tractor as a "refurbished" machine from the New Holland factory. He provided me with the name of the guy that had done the work (haven't yet asked for nor seen any paperwork) - and noted that he'd only put about 500 hours since purchasing it (2) years ago. Said that the engine case had been split and anything the engine/trans needed was taken care of.

The tires are at least 95% all the way around. The hydraulics seem to power up well - and I'm not noticing any blow-by at all. I did notice a very small oil leak (light colored fluid) almost directly underneath the operator's seat and am wondering if this is a loose hydraulic line/fitting. I pulled the engine oil dipstick and although it's not the cleanest oil I've seen, it's full. And the MFWD seemed to engage w/o any problem.

Just looking for some thoughts on the price - figure that I'm looking at probably $5K for a loader/bucket/plumbing. I'm certain that it will have all the power I need and having read the posts about this model on this site, it sounds like a very reliable tractor. Since my background primarily involves dabbling with gas engines, I'll just have to get up to speed with diesels.

Would also like to hear from anyone on the factory "refurbishing" issue and what other questions/items I should be asking about/looking at.

Thanks in advance for any input.

/ Ford 4630 w/Snowblower #2  
Check the traderonline or print magazines for similar machines / price.

lotsa hours.. so you gotta see condition.. etc. 6900$ ain't real bad, if the tractor is really in good shape..

soundguy

/ Ford 4630 w/Snowblower
I would certainly agree about the number of hours. I'm assuming - for the time being - that the case was split and the engine/trans re-done. I believe he mentioned that the clutch had also been replaced.

What other high-wear items should I be focusing on when returning for a second, more in-depth look? Thanks.

/ Ford 4630 w/Snowblower #4  
I'd just give it a 'standard check.. IE.. start it cold.. run it till warmed, drive it in all gear ranges, directions and speeds / rpm ranges.. check hyds and lift and electricals / gauges.. brakes.. etc... Look for leaks or 'bad' repairs.. etc.

soundguy