rookie tractor buyer cutting 40 acres

/ rookie tractor buyer cutting 40 acres #21  
Man.. 60-70 hours.. that's like 2 years of me mowing my pastures monthly!

soundguy

/ rookie tractor buyer cutting 40 acres #22  
Soundguy said:
Man.. 60-70 hours.. that's like 2 years of me mowing my pastures monthly!

soundguy

There's a psychological attachment to my farm; I was raised on it by my grandparents, I started driving my grandfather's John Deere B when I was five years old because he couldn't locate a farm hand. With all that wonderful history, I find myself being a kid again on that old John Deere - with the exception of using my New Holland TN65.

It's not mowed in a day, it's mowed over a 1 - 2 week period, depending on weather.

I just wished it didn't cost so much in fuel.

/ rookie tractor buyer cutting 40 acres #23  
Our high school/junior campus is about 60 acres, counting in buildings, a big parking lot, football field, soccer field, baseball field, practice fields, etc. I'd say there is about 30 acres that is mowed.

The mower used is about 15', 3 gang, finish quality cut. They used to use a White to mow with, about 40 hp. After years of assorted repairs to the tractor, the PTO went out and it would cost much to repair. The tractor was traded for a NH tt75. I talked to the guy mowing the other day, who is a retired/now part-time farmer/bus driver. He is one of two people who mow the place. He said the White was overworked running that mower, which is why it kept breaking. The NH mows faster and the mower works better with much less stress on the operators.

FWIW.