rookie tractor buyer cutting 40 acres

/ rookie tractor buyer cutting 40 acres #1  

JWB53

Bronze Member
Tractor
07 toolcat
need tractor to keep over 40 acres mowed, always liked fords, so i'll check out new holland, like the looks of the tractors with 4 wheel drive that also have large front wheels, look more stable, whats the smallest model i should look for with loader and could easily pull mowing deck larger than 6 foot , don't know what widths are made, would need hydrostatic drive thanks

/ rookie tractor buyer cutting 40 acres #2  
I am trying to be helpful but you have already posted various versions of the same question. You have posted before that you have 40-50 acres to mow. You want a tractor that can easily handle a mower larger than 6' but still be hydrostatic? Multiple people have given suggestions but you don't seem to like the answers and keep asking similar questions in different forums. What you desire and what you need to do the job in a practical fashion just aren't going to mesh.

I'll say it again. To do 40 acres in a reasonable amount of time is going to take a bigger mower in the 15' category. It will require at least a mid to large sized utility tractor with 65-85 pto hp. No hydrostat unless you go extreme. A 10 pull type could be used with a 40 pto hp tractor but 10' will probably take a couple of serious long days to mow. A 10' 3 pt mower is going to take a larger tractor to handle it well or to lift it. Again you should just go for the batwing.

You want one tractor to do it all and you want a smaller sized tractor/unit to do the work. It just isn't practical. You really need 2 tractors. Buy an older used tractor and used 15' batwing to do the 40 acres. If your land is reasonable, even a 2 WD tractor would be fine with batwing mower. It's a mower, and they pull easy. Older tractor and used 15' batwing may cost 15-20K and still be a very good and reliable combination. Crappy tractor and mower may cost as low as 10K. Get a newer CUT with fel, and 6' mower to do the rest.

/ rookie tractor buyer cutting 40 acres #3  
I just mowed ten acres yesterday with my neighbors Kubota and a 5 foot shredder. THAT SUCKED! No cab, no AC, no remotes to hook up my 14 foot shredder, No tilt steering or adjustable seat so my back hurts now.
It's a good little tractor he has but keep things like this in mind if you plan to work 40 acres. Bigger is always better. I can't wait till mine comes back from the dealer again. Also whatever you get, make sure your dealer has a good service department. They just don't make things like they used to.

/ rookie tractor buyer cutting 40 acres #4  
Why are you mowing 40 acres? Why don't you rent it somebody for hay or plant it in native grasses and wildflowers and let it grow?

/ rookie tractor buyer cutting 40 acres
radman1 said:
I am trying to be helpful but you have already posted various versions of the same question. You have posted before that you have 40-50 acres to mow. You want a tractor that can easily handle a mower larger than 6' but still be hydrostatic? Multiple people have given suggestions but you don't seem to like the answers and keep asking similar questions in different forums. What you desire and what you need to do the job in a practical fashion just aren't going to mesh.

I'll say it again. To do 40 acres in a reasonable amount of time is going to take a bigger mower in the 15' category. It will require at least a mid to large sized utility tractor with 65-85 pto hp. No hydrostat unless you go extreme. A 10 pull type could be used with a 40 pto hp tractor but 10' will probably take a couple of serious long days to mow. A 10' 3 pt mower is going to take a larger tractor to handle it well or to lift it. Again you should just go for the batwing.

You want one tractor to do it all and you want a smaller sized tractor/unit to do the work. It just isn't practical. You really need 2 tractors. Buy an older used tractor and used 15' batwing to do the 40 acres. If your land is reasonable, even a 2 WD tractor would be fine with batwing mower. It's a mower, and they pull easy. Older tractor and used 15' batwing may cost 15-20K and still be a very good and reliable combination. Crappy tractor and mower may cost as low as 10K. Get a newer CUT with fel, and 6' mower to do the rest.
thanks again radman1

/ rookie tractor buyer cutting 40 acres #6  
Radman echo's my thoughts.

I frequently mow 10 ac using either a 10' or 15' mower. If I had to mow 40.. it would be a long day ont he 15' and ALL day ont he 10'.. or more likely a day and a pice.. etc.. depending ont he terain.

As you get into the larger utility, and small ag tractors.. getting a hydrostat tranny gets harder to find.. and way more $$ when you do find one.

If it was me.. I'd get a minimum 10' mower.. ( or 12' or 15' or 20' ).. and then get a comfortable tractor to match. For 10'.. I't want about 70eng hp.. and heading toward 90 for the 15'.

The NH XX10 /II/S series are a few years old.. but a good place to start.. IE
5610/6610/7610.. basic but good tractors. i mow with a 7610s often.. with my 15' mower.. it's a good match. I also pull a 10' mower with an older ford 5000.. again.. a good match..

soundguy

/ rookie tractor buyer cutting 40 acres #7  
I mowed 30 acres for a neighbor a couple of times with a B2710 and 5' brush hog; took about 21 to 22 hours each time, sure made for 2 long days.:rolleyes:

/ rookie tractor buyer cutting 40 acres #8  
Now that's just crazy talk!

soundguy

/ rookie tractor buyer cutting 40 acres #9  
Some consideration has to be taken as to what sort of ground your 40 acres is. Is it one big square, flat field? Or is it a series of smaller fields, hills, creekbeds, trees, ect?

I mow 45 acres at my place. I have a commercial mowing business. I own three 15' batwings and three tractors big enough to handle them. They would be totally useless on my 45 acres. (Hills, several creek beds, small fields, woods, ect) In fact, MOST of what I mow, even my 7' mower is just too big and too cumbersome.

I mow the bulk of the place with a 6' mower on a 47 hp 2wd tractor. I mow a few acres at a time. I'll spend 2 or 3 hours one afternoon, maybe an hour or so a few days later, just whenever I have a few minutes to kill, I'll mow a while until it's done. Never gets to be a burden, always stays mowed, and I get plenty of "tractor therapy time".

Needs are relative to conditions.

/ rookie tractor buyer cutting 40 acres #10  
I come down on the side of: why are you mowing this 40 acres? Is there not an alternative use that would be cheaper? I guess I'm thinking pasture or conversion to wood plot.
Otherwise, I agree with the others about the 10' minimum rotary cutter.

Gino