New Holland vs. Kubota

/ New Holland vs. Kubota #1  

ids

I am not sure if this is an appropriate question to ask, but does anyone have experience with both Kubota and New Holland?

I've been looking at a Kubota L3940 (loader, backhoe) with a few attachments, e.g., bush hog, rake, and it's around $38K. However, I've just noticed the New Holland (TC45), and even a larger HP ~ 45HP with almost the same attachments under 30K...

I was just wondering any opinions on the two....Most of my work will be bush hogging some trails, grading, and occasionl stump removals..

Thanks

/ New Holland vs. Kubota #2  
Both brands are excellent tractors. My neighbor has a L3820 (if memory serves me right on model number) and I have a TC 40A. Drive both tractors, look at the service at the dealership, and pick the tractor that you like to drive the most. I would be happy to have either tractor you mentioned, so I would be inclined to get the tractor that is lower in price.

/ New Holland vs. Kubota #3  
I don't know about the kubota, but I like my TC45D(yr 2001 with 1200 hrs). I like the supersteer, also. I think that NH hit just the right note with this series of machines. I think the tractor will last forever(the safety relays are the only week link, from my perspective). Easy to use(and be useful), robust, relatively simple maintenance, strong(good 3pt and loader capacity), and 1/2 ton pickup towable.

Some would say the TC40 is the sweet spot within the series, as it is a bit cheaper, and the extra hp would only be useful for heavy pto work.

Again, I don't know diddly about the kubotas, but be sure to drive the NH, and I would encourage you to test the supersteer option.

Chris

PS. They aren't called TC45's anymore, but they are still boomers.

/ New Holland vs. Kubota #4  
and 1/2 ton pickup towable.

Depends on your trailer and also your tractor configurations. Make sure you've got a trailer with good brakes. Took my DX45 for a short ride with my 1/2 ton chevy while my 3/4 ton ford was in the shop. My first indication that my 1/2 ton was out of its league was when a drove the tractor onto the trailer and lifted the back wheels of my chevy about 2 feet off of the ground. Stopping without trailer brakes was not an easy or safe task either. I drove the 4 miles to my destination going 25 mph and would not attempt a another trip with my 1/2 ton. With the cab, loaded rear tires, box blade on back and loader on the front, I would not feel comfortable driving my tractor down the highway with a half ton pickup. Not sure what the total weight is with this setup, but its definately out of 1/2 ton category in my opinion.

/ New Holland vs. Kubota #5  
I should have been clear to avoid being harassed by the trailer police.

A non-cab TC45D with loader weighs about 4100 lbs(without loaded tires).
A backhoe weighs about 850 lbs.

That setup just fits on a appropriately chosen 7000 gvwr trailer.

All trailers >3000 lbs(I think) by law require trailer brakes.

In your example, the same trailer attached to a 3/4 ton pickup would have been lifted off the ground while loading (if there were no cargo box weights), since the rear end weight difference between a 1/2 and 3/4 ton pu is minimal.

sheesh.

Chris

/ New Holland vs. Kubota #6  
I like the kiss principal! Keep it simple! The Kubota is one of the tightest turning tractors in the market with out any extra parts to wear out in 2000 hours. Those castings aren't cheap! Taking the time to bush them is expensive too!
I would wonder what backhoe you might put on the New holland that would be structurally sound enough not to hinder the tractor's chassis longevity?
Have you looked at the L-4400?

/ New Holland vs. Kubota #7  
Pricing looks odd. Your Kubota numbers are really high for a TLB, but your New Holland numbers are rather low. I'd make sure you've got your figures straight.

/ New Holland vs. Kubota #8  
I should have been clear to avoid being harassed by the trailer police.

Chris,

I didn't say you were wrong, misinformed, unsafe, or illegal, I stated that it depends on your trailer and tractor configuration. I'm far from being in the realm of the "trailer police". I agree that alot of people take things to the "legal extreme". Just giving my experience with my tractor and towing with both a half ton and 3/4 ton and pointing out that there are alot of variables to consider, especially if trailering ability is one thing that the purchaser needs to consider. (don't know if it's a factor in this case) There is a huge gap in towing ability and the way my 1995 half ton chevy handles compared to my 2005 ford 3/4 ton diesel. It's not even close.

I don't transport my tractor more than 4 miles to our other property and the occasions are few. Therefore I still use my 7k tandem axle trailer without trailer brakes to do so instead of spending the money on a new trailer (now you can call the real trailer police on me) And I'm comfortable doing so given the distance and the fact that I'm using a 3/4 ton diesel, which by the way the tractor does not lift the back of a 2005 Ford 3/4 ton off of the ground like it did my 95 half ton chevy. There's also probably a big difference in 1/2 ton capabilities in today's models compared to my 95 as well. They are probably much better equiped. Just one more variable in the equation. Sorry to ruffle your feathers.

jk

/ New Holland vs. Kubota #9  
I have owned both a Kubota and a New Holland. I agree with the person who said that both are good tractors. I also agree with the person that said you Kubota price seems out of line. In fact, I would say it is way too high. That having been said, and realizing I have owned both there is no doubt in my mind that the New Holland is a better tractor.

/ New Holland vs. Kubota #10  
I have owned both New Holland and Kubota. I have liked both very much. the only reason I ended up with a Kubota this time is the Kubota had a cab on a 30 HP model and the NH had to go all the way to a 45 hp. I have found two differences in the tractors. The Kubota mower deck floats better for me. I was having scalping issues with the New Holland deck as I would crest the top of a grade to a flat area. The Kubota deck floats better. The New Holland seems to have smoother hydrolics. The action on my kubota bucket is a little jerky compared to the NH. I just felt the NH hydrolics were smoother to operate. Other than that I have been very happy with both.