the next chapter in the TN65 saga

/ the next chapter in the TN65 saga #1  

gsxrsquid

Bronze Member
most of you have read the recurring saga of my TN65 which must have been started on a friday and finished on friday.I'm up to about 450 hours now and the past year have been starting by jumping directly to the battery. Eventually found out is was a bad connection in the high quality (NOT) fuse block. Now I can start it from the seat I just have to pull the fuse cover and wiggle the fuse.
So I thought I would do some bushhogging today. Nothing serious. doing an area that gets done about twice a year. I heard the engine change sound when the shear bolt broke on the bushhog. hmmmmm nothing big around but it was an old bolt so maybe finally gave up the ghost. I swung a U-turn for the house to install a new one and something caught my eye. hmmmmm I didn;t notice that BEFORE I bushhoged it and I should have. What is it? Oh wait, that is what used to be my fuel tank.............shredded

/ the next chapter in the TN65 saga #2  
I am sorry you are having so many problems with your TN but it really is the exception. There are hundreds of TN's running in this area (and quite a few red versions now also). Everything from super narrow TN-V's, narrow TN-F (and FA's), TN standards and deluxe. Old models on thru to the most recent models and I have never heard of anyone having as many problems as you have. Most of the TN's in this area see over 400 hours a year on the farms and they are stored outside. My TN has almost 1400 hours and except for the first year (2000) where I had some quality control problems the only problem I have had with it is a NSS quit on me. My TN is stored outside 75% of the time also.

I really do not know why you are having so many problems with your TN but it really is the exception. So far I only recall one fuse blowing on my TN in the 8 years I have owned it so between that fuse and the NSS the only other electrical issue I have had was a pinched wire during assembly which was a warranty repair. I wish you better luck with your tractor but I don't think anything I say or do is going to improve your luck or experience with your tractor.

/ the next chapter in the TN65 saga
LOL!

IT's funny Robert, That is basically what New Holland told me. I've never had an experience like it. Apparently they have updated the support on the early model TN65 so maybe the new one will hold better. The original was a metal strap. No sign of it in the cut area.

oh yeah, and about a month ago when I was hooking up the bush hog the spring failed on the extension release on the TPH. I took it apart and the spring actually came out of the retainer. I can fix it with JB weld.
By the time I get to 1000 hours there won't be anything left. At least I'm not angry any more. I just sigh and drive on. :D

/ the next chapter in the TN65 saga #4  
My TN70A has been delightful. My fuel tank has a shield, so it is nicely protected.
Bob

/ the next chapter in the TN65 saga #5  
most of you have read the recurring saga of my TN65 which must have been started on a friday and finished on friday.I'm up to about 450 hours now and the past year have been starting by jumping directly to the battery. Eventually found out is was a bad connection in the high quality (NOT) fuse block. Now I can start it from the seat I just have to pull the fuse cover and wiggle the fuse.

As a fellow TN owner and a design engineer I find that that statement telling. Why not just do some maintaince, wire brush the terminals and coat with dialectric grease?

An owner/user of equipment is responsible for insuring that bolts are kept tight and connections clean and dry. I'm not saying that some problems won't occurred but in the engineering field there are many problems we label as cockpit error, those problems that just might be related to the way an owner or user treats his equipment.

That said, New Holland took back my first TN, and early TN75S due to repeated computer problems. My replacement TN, a 2001 TN75D has been basically flawless except for a early oil leak due to a seal that the factory forgot to install (required the tractor to be split twice to get the o-ring in correctly) and an injector pump that failed at about 100 plus hours (apparently New Holland had a run of bad pumps)

I do have some electrical issues but they are due to mice eating some wires.

Andy

/ the next chapter in the TN65 saga #6  
As everyone here can attest, I break, well everything. But honestly, except for me screwing it up, my TN has been relatively painless (311 hrs, 13 months).
But, that's not what you want to hear.
I must tell you that my TC45 has been LTO (less than optimum), in fact, to be honest, the first one was such a piece of junk, that New Holland actually bought it back. Although still not impressed with the replacement TC (300 hours now), I was impressed with NH willing to stand behind their product. Clearly you need to contact NH warranty and ask to be in touch with the regional manager and try to see what they will do.

Clearly you have a TN that is outside the bounds. Because if I can't break it, it can't be done. :eek:

BTW, I've BTDT with a tractor that just simply isn't reliable and I understand and fell your pain.

/ the next chapter in the TN65 saga
Andy:

I have used lots of dielectric grease. The problem isn't corrosion it is the cheesey design of the fuse block. They solder a strip of metal on the end of the wire, fold it over and shove it in the fuse block making it a contact. The metal lost tension so the fuse doesn't make good contact. I'll end up cutting out the two wires and splicing in an inline fuse to solve the problem.
As far as maintenance goes this tractor has been service far more often than tractors with twice the hours on them.

Cowboy:
The tractor is long out of warranty. While it was under warranty I repeatedly called the corporate offices to try and get them to take care of me and ever single time they offered sympathy but absolutely refused to help in any way. When the banjo fitting leaked, my dealer pulled on off a new tractor to get me going and took care of the warranty. When the hour meter failed at 35 hours the factory absolutely refused to replace it under warranty. When the fuel sender failed under a hundred hours they absolutely refused to replace it and I had to buy the whole instrument cluster.

I will be installing my 4th fuel tank soon. I have no metal guard and never did. On this tank I will build one myself cause those tanks are getting expensive. hmmmm maybe I should just build a metal tank . lol

/ the next chapter in the TN65 saga #8  
In 2001 I bought a TC45 instead of a TN55 because of the placement of that fuel tank. Working in heavy brush like I do - I would of torn that tank off in a matter of minutes -- or punctured it. I've been very happy with my TC - no problems whatsoever in the 7 years (500hrs) I've owned it. We'll have to see how it holds up in the next 7 years as I'm retiring and will be piling a lot more hrs on it now.

/ the next chapter in the TN65 saga #9  
In 2001 I bought a TC45 instead of a TN55 because of the placement of that fuel tank. Working in heavy brush like I do - I would of torn that tank off in a matter of minutes -- or punctured it. I've been very happy with my TC - no problems whatsoever in the 7 years (500hrs) I've owned it. We'll have to see how it holds up in the next 7 years as I'm retiring and will be piling a lot more hrs on it now.

The fuel tank on the TN is not a problem. If you are going to use it in heavy brush you make sure you order the tank protector. I have used my TN to clear around 20 acres of red brush, trees and briars. It has been buried to the platform in mud a few times also and I have even drove it down the channel till the water was too deep. The fuel tank is one thing I have never worried about and has never given me a problem.

The only thing the brush has ever done is pop one of my shifter linkages. I had to buy a new 25 cent clip and I was back in business.

If anything I would prefer the TN over the TC for heavy brush just because of the how much beefier the TN is as well as the added ground clearance.

/ the next chapter in the TN65 saga #10  
Well dont know really what model you have but I had an 05 rops model and should have kept it I guess. The 75D's or any of the "D's" are probably ok. I would take another loaded "DA" if I had to pay for it. The "D" was more manual and work fine. The DA being elec over hyd control was a joke. Constantly something wrong with it and it had a whopping 180hrs when it left. I sure didnt cry when it was loaded up either. Anything that cost that kind of money should not have to be worked on that much. It went to the dealer 10 times for numerous things, mostly electrical. Since being electronically controlled it was bound to happen. I sure dont like the newer versions as compared to say 2000 back. Not even in the same class when it comes to durability. I am kinda like cowboy, I break anything.

I usually tell folks that if you want to test something park it in the yard, lock it up and take the keys. If it works when you get back its worth keeping.